How do I link my laptop on XP by wireless router to my husbands…

Customer Question
How do I link my...
How do I link my laptop on XP by wireless router to my husbands printer he has just upgraded to Microsoft 7?It worked ok until he upgraded but now we have lost the link!... Read full answer
How do I link my laptop on XP by wireless router to my husbands printer he has just upgraded to Microsoft 7?It worked ok until he upgraded but now we have lost the link!
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Computer
3/16/2010
Tech Support Specialist: KShew_DBA, Information Systems Manager replied 9 years ago
KShew_DBA
KShew_DBA, Information Systems Manager

Sharing folders between two Windows 7 machines with the new HomeGroup feature is an easy process, but the HomeGroup feature is not compatible with Vista or XP. For this tutorial we are using Windows 7 x64 RC1 and XP Professional SP3 connected through a basic Linksys home wireless router.

First make sure both machines are members of the same Workgroup which by default is named Workgroup.

workgroup

On the Windows 7 machine go into Control Panel \ All Control Panel Items \ Network and Sharing Center then click on Change advanced sharing settings.

network and sharing

advanced

You will want to verify the following settings under Advanced Sharing Settings for the Home or Work and Public profile.

home or work settings

If you want any user to have access the public shares turn off password XXXXX This is located in Advanced Sharing Settings toward the bottom of the list.

turn off pw

If you want to keep it enabled make sure there is a log in account for the other XP machines and they have a password.

create pw

Now if you go into Network in Windows 7 you should see your XP machine and the Windows 7 as well which in this case is Mysticgeek-PC.

Explorer

To share the printer on the Windows 7 machine go into Devices and Printers from the Start menu and double click on the printer icon.

devices

Next double click on "Customize your printer".

1 Printer

In the Properties screen click on the Sharing Tab and check the box to share the printer and type in its share name.

2 printer share

If your XP machine is an x86 OS you can install Additional Drivers before setting up the XP machine.

3 Printer add drivers

To find the shared folders and devices double click on the Windows 7 machine icon under Network. Here you can see the printer connected to my Windows 7 machine is shared and also the Users Folder.

shared device and users

Continue into the Users folder and Public to see the shared folders, here I also created a folder called XP Share just to keep everything in central location.

xpshare

Over on your XP machine open up My Network Places to find the Windows 7 (mysticgeek-pc) shared folder.

My Network Places

Double click on the Share folder to find a list of shared folders in the Public folder on Windows 7. If you have password XXXXX enabled you will need to type in the username and password XXXXX the user account on the Windows 7 machine first.

folders

Setup XP With Shared Printer

To set up the shared printer in XP you will need to go into Printers and Faxes from the Start menu and kick off the Add Printer Wizard.

add Printer

Now select "A network printer, or a printer attached to another computer" then hit Next.

network option

Next select "Connect to this printer..." and type in the path for the printer connected to the Windows 7 machine and click next.

print

Now click Yes to the confirmation message.

confirm msg

Then click Finish the printer to install and complete the Wizard.

Complete

In some cases you will need to install the x86 XP drivers for the shared printer because the Windows 7 drivers are not compatible with XP. When everything is installed open up Printers and Faxes to find the shared printer.

in explorer

This should help you get started with sharing your files and other devices with your Windows 7 machine. When I first started I was able to see the printer on XP right away because I had a HomeGroup set up, but once I deleted it I needed to share the printer like you would for a workgroup. You might also have to do a couple restarts of the XP machine for it to see the shared resources on Windows 7.

Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
We have a LAN network. Primary desktops iMac and Dell. In
We have a LAN network. Primary desktops iMac and Dell. In another room, my husband has a laptop running Windows XP. This laptop used to print on our old Canon printer, (wireless). That printer broke a… read more
Guru Raj
Guru Raj
BSC
I have lost my wireless connection. HP OfficeJet 3830. Over
IDK, it's a worklaptop that doubles as my home laptop … read more
PC_Wizzard
PC_Wizzard
IT Technician,
Spectrum installed a new router yesterday and now neither my
Spectrum installed a new router yesterday and now neither my husband's nor my computer can successfully send a print job to the wireless printer. … read more
Chris Lindsey
Chris Lindsey
IT University
Stop searching for answers—
My computer is working fine. I am trying to help my husband
Hi, my computer is working fine. I am trying to help my husband (age 87) because he has lost his internet and also can't get his emails. … read more
IT/Broadcast Engineer,
We have been hacked by a professional hacker who use to work
We have been hacked by a professional hacker who use to work for best buy. Over two years he has been hacking every computer desktop (2) (3) laptops (1) ipad (3) tablets our cell phones, smart tv. Eve… read more
Mr.Med
Mr.Med
I have just bought a HP Photosmart Plus B210 series printer.
I have just bought a HP Photosmart Plus B210 series printer. It is not responding to print commands. The status is ERROR although it does change from time to time to READY but as soon as I give a prin… read more
Pam R
Pam R
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
I am with someone who has his lab top. He suddenly cannot go
I am with someone who has his lab top. He suddenly cannot go online by using his password. He has Google Chrome. He tried getting a new one and you have to put an old password XXXXX to get a new one s… read more
Computer Specialist,
The Canon MP620 wireless printer suddenly stopped responding
The Canon MP620 wireless printer suddenly stopped responding throughthe wireless connection. Both laptops counld not connect. Connection through the wire is OK. How do I get them both back on line?… read more
Bob
Bob
i was able to print wirelessly until today- for some reason
i was able to print wirelessly until today- for some reason now, I can no longer get the computer and printer to communicateI have run the troubleshooter and then also printed directly w/a USB cable. … read more
Retired,
i have got a new 64-bit laptop running W7 and ir wont work
i have got a new 64-bit laptop running W7 and ir won't work with my 3Com 11b wireless router - well sometimes it does but usually not. the same router tuns my Vista laptop fine, Why's this? Help pleas… read more
Mr. Clark
Mr. Clark
IT Director,
My husband is unable to get logged on to the Internet since
My husband is unable to get logged on to the Internet since the 9 Microsoft upgrades were downloaded yesterday (6/11/10). His PC has Windows XP. Normally he gets into Internet Explorer through my Wire… read more
Erik B.
Erik B.
Network Engineer,
This is the situation My husband has the Toshiba PC but he
This is the situation: My husband has the Toshiba PC but he wants to give it to his intreperter in Kabul, Afghanixtan. He wants to reformat the PC and remove all personal data and the use the recovery… read more
Nirjhar18
Nirjhar18
Network Admin,
Stop searching for answers—
I have XP and my husband has just upgraded to 7.I used to share
I have XP and my husband has just upgraded to 7.I used to share his printer via a wireless router when he had XP but now I have lost that facility.Please advise how to reconnect. Thanks Judith Robinso… read more
mary
mary
What is the procedure set up to share a printer through a wireless
What is the procedure set up to share a printer through a wireless router I have Microsoft XP and the other computer has Microsoft 7.It was ok when we were both on XP but since the upgrade I have lost… read more
Aitizaz
Aitizaz
Software Engineer,
How do I set up wireless printing on my HP OfficeJet L7680
How do I set up wireless printing on my HP OfficeJet L7680? I am running a Netgear WNR 2000v2 Wireless-N router… read more
Hardware Engineer,
Have a Dell Studio 1750 upgraded to Windows 7. I have a Dell
Have a Dell Studio 1750 upgraded to Windows 7. I have a Dell wireless printer (refurbished) that replaced a defective printer. I cannot connect it to my laptop wirelessly. I have it USB-connected to m… read more
CIO,
I am trying to connect my new VGN-Z890GMR to our home network
I am trying to connect my new VGN-Z890GMR to our home network printer. My husband's computer is hard wired to the printer and my computer will be wireless. We tried following the online instructions, … read more
RPI Solutions
RPI Solutions
Technician, Developer,
My husband installed two seperate hard drives on my computer.
My husband installed two seperate hard drives on my computer. One has Vista on it and one has Windows XP. I want to get Windows 7 on my computer. My husband wants to load a "try Windows program" on th… read more
Computer Consultant,
MS Electrical Engineering