Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
16465236

I dropped my laptop and now the screen has a lot of dirrefent

I dropped my laptop and now the screen has a lot of dirrefent colors in the display. how can I fix this?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Andy replied 7 years ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer !! I am Andy and I will be glad to help you out with your issue today.

Please answer all these questions 1 to 4 point by point.

1. When you press the power button to turn it on, do you see any thing on screen, like the boot up screen or something like that. Or is it completely blank (black color) always.

2. What is its make n model.

3. Also, when you press power button, do you see the LED lights on laptop blinking or solid green (which ones are in blinking/solid) and do hear any sound ? Or do you feel that your laptop doesnt even try to boot.

4. Can you hear any Beeps when you try to turn on the computer. If yes, what is the sequence of those beeps.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

HP Eltiebook 6930p

I can see parts of the Windows screen, but there is a plaid pattern blocking most of the screen

It starts up normally and the all of the buttons light up. It also has sound

Expert:  Andy replied 7 years ago.

In that case your display has broken and you need to get it replaced.

You can either send it to HP or get it done at a local repair store.

Feel free to ask any question or concern you may have. I will be glad to help you.

Positive Feedback and BONUS are always appreciated.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I agree the display may be broken, but why I am I not able to view my screen on my external monitor? That way my origianl question...

Expert:  Andy replied 7 years ago.

Connect an external monitor to this laptop. After you plug in external monitor, you might need to press Fn + FX (X =1 to 12) keys to toggle to external monitor. FX is one of the Function keys.

If that doesnt work either, than your laptop has some settings in its display driver that needs to be done to shift display to external monitor.

Dont worry, its not a motherboard issue because you can see the desktop on broken screen.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX more question, I have tried all of the function buttons and nothing works, how can change the driver settings
Expert:  Andy replied 7 years ago.

Unfortunately, unless we can see the display ... we cannot see or change any settings.

So unless you can make it work with some Function key or other key on keyboard ... we cannot shift the display to external monitor.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

This is really strange because I am able to ony view the screen in safe mode

Expert:  Andy replied 7 years ago.

Where can u view the screen in safe mode ?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
On the external monitor
Expert:  Andy replied 7 years ago.

Safe mode uses basic color display mode and uses generic display drivers.

So if the external monitor is working in Safe mode and not in normal mode, that shows that you need to install the driver for that monitor on your computer.