my E mails are arriving with only the symbol, no date senders…

Customer Question
my E mails are arriving...
my E mails are arriving with only the symbol, no date senders name or subject. When I open them the reply and foward buttons are not lit up so I can't use them... Read full answer
my E mails are arriving with only the symbol, no date senders name or subject. When I open them the reply and foward buttons are not lit up so I can't use them
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Computer
3/4/2010
Tech Support Specialist: KShew_DBA, Information Systems Manager replied 9 years ago
KShew_DBA
KShew_DBA, Information Systems Manager

What version of AOL are you currently using??

Go to Help > About

I think it is 2000

Launch the AOL software, and sign on as you normally do. Go to http://www.macromedia.com/software/flash/about/ to check the version of Flash running on your computer.

Please let me know the results

I typed it in,and when I push go nothing happens

Ok, we are going to do a couple things here and get you back on your way.

1. Click the Mail menu, and then click Mail Settings.
2. Click the Manage Saved Mail drop-down menu, and then click Backup.
3. Click Backup Now.
4. Click Save.

Once that is complete, do the following:

1. Launch the AOL software as you normally would. Ensure that you do not sign on to the AOL software.
2. Click the Mail menu, and then click Mail Settings.
3. Click the Manage Saved Mail drop-down menu, and the click Compact.
4. Click Compact Now.
5. Click OK.
6. Click Save.

Check your email and see how it looks. You may need to exit out of AOL and back on, but everything should be back. If it is, please "Accept" my answer. If not, please reply so we can try a few other things.

Hi, this is John's wife. I tried what you suggested in Mail/MailSettings/Managed Saved Mail, etc. Nothing helped. i also went back to the www.macromedia site to get an answer to your question. The version installed is 10,0,45,2. And John has AOL 9.1.

What next?

ok, you did the 'Compact' part also?

I would suggest reinstalling a new copy of AOL 9.5 from:
http://daol.aol.com/software/91/?ncid=%20txtlnkusdaol00000002

I am including two links below for backing up your aol data and restoring it to a new installation (if it is still able to be restored)

How to Backup or Copy Mail in Your AOL "Saved on My PC" Filing Cabinet
http://email.about.com/od/aoltips/qt/et040706.htm

How to Recover Mail and Other AOL Data from a "Saved on My PC" Backup
http://email.about.com/od/aoltips/qt/et042206.htm

This should fix your problems, if so, please "Accept"

as always, if not, please reply and let me know what happened!

KShew_DBA
KShew_DBA, Information Systems Manager
Relist: Answer came too late.
Waiting too long for answer.

I responded in 15 minutes and 22 seconds later. I apologize if that was too long.

Have you tried the steps I recommended?

If you would prefer to work with someone else I will be happy to release your question.

Please advise

I installed Version 9.5 this morning, and the problem is exactly the same.
Did you backup and restore the PFC after you installed 9.5?

Success at last! I did the back and restores, as you suggested. I also eliminated John's 9600 saved messages!

thanks for all your help.

Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
Problem: Group e-mails sent by Hangtown Toastmasters, club
Problem: Group e-mails sent by Hangtown Toastmasters, club 3416, I am not receiving them. The webmaster has checked from Toastmasters end, says I should be receiving them, can't find an issues. He sug… read more
Jins M. N.
Jins M. N.
Systems Administrator,
Diplom
Do you have a way to mark a collection of selected emails
Do you have a way to mark a collection of selected emails as Junk? This is a capability in Eudora that has been implemented in Thunderbird. There must be a way in Outlook. I have Outlook 2010, 32 bit.… read more
Molinari
Molinari
Professional Tech Expert,
CompTIA A+ Certification
When I signed on to AOL e-mail I see no date, sender e-mail
When I signed on to AOL e-mail I see no date, sender e-mail address nor subject info. This occurs on both newly received and old e-mail. If I open an e-mail, I can not forward nor answer. I am a compu… read more
David L
David L
Stop searching for answers—
Hi Support --Currently with Thunderbird e-mail on the computer
Hi Support --Currently with Thunderbird e-mail on the computer screen, e-mails include 1. subject, 2. who from, and 3. date/time received. When we transfer an e-mail to local folders on the computer s… read more
Jess
Jess
I cannot find out who sent e-mail because the date -email address
I cannot find out who sent e-mail because the date -email address and subject is not printed out. I do not want to open any e-mail blind which is what I would have to do. Plus when I exit AOL it somet… read more
Computer Technican,
When new mail shows up there is a dark blue line across the
When new mail shows up there is a dark blue line across the date, sender and subject and when I click to read it shows the email but I can't reply or foward. How do I get rid of the dark blue.… read more
IT Consultant,
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
My e-mail address is [email protected] (or btinternet
My e-mail address is [email protected] (or btinternet - both seem to be inter-changeable, which I do not really understand.) It seems that sometimes important e-mails have not reached me (items … read more
Computer Specialist,
I have a Ricoh fax 4420nf. Im trying to make it send incoming
I have a Ricoh fax 4420nf. I'm trying to make it send incoming faxes to my e-mail. I've gone into the Admin. area of the web interface and entered my smtp info and my e-mail address and password. If I… read more
Modern Methods
Modern Methods
Veterans Service Writer,
I am not receiving the Date, E-mail address, subjest for new,
I am not receiving the Date, E-mail address, subjest for new, old, and sent e-mail messages. I am not able to respond to e-mail messages received as reply on e-mail message form is not in bold format.… read more
s4sys
s4sys
B.Tech in Computer Science Engineer
My AOL email opens, but only the little sign shows up to
My AOL email opens, but only the little "sign" shows up to the left. The date, email address, and subject line are blank. So, I can't see what is there until I double-click on the "sign". Then the ema… read more
Leon Russell
Leon Russell
ITS Technician,
i AM RECEIVING E-MAIL iCONS NOTIFYING ME THAT HAVE UNOPENED
i AM RECEIVING E-MAIL iCONS NOTIFYING ME THAT HAVE UNOPENED MAIL; HOWEVER, THE DATE THE SUBJUECT AND THE SENDER ARE NOT AVAILABLE FOR READING-HOW DO I REGAIN ACCESS TO THE DATE, SUBJECT, AND SENDER?… read more
Ben M
Ben M
1. When I try to view my e-mail, there is only the initial
1. When I try to view my e-mail, there is only the initial symbol but nothing to describe thje sender or the subject. Also the symbols to enable me to reply, forward and all reply are not operative. A… read more
RPI Solutions
RPI Solutions
Technician, Developer,
Stop searching for answers—
Cannot display date, e-mail addess or subject when clicking
Cannot display date, e-mail addess or subject when clicking on NEW MAIL folder. Cannot download or foward. AOL mail box symbols appear, indicating presence of mail, which can then be clickd to read in… read more
e-solution
e-solution
Somehow most of my new messages go in spam, and I cant seem
Somehow most of my new messages go in spam, and I cant seem to get these messages. What do I do… read more
Amit - The Real Computer Expert
Amit - The Real Computer Expert
Master of Philosophy
I received an e-mail dated July 7th that has one word Quit,
I received an e-mail dated July 7th that has one word "Quit," on it. It was sent by and unknown sender from an unknown domain. How do I determine who sent that e-mail message to me. There must be a wa… read more
Jerry Hannell
Jerry Hannell
Hello, for the past few weeks Ive stopped getting my daily
Hello, for the past few weeks I've stopped getting my daily email about spams. How do I get it again?… read more
RealGuru, MCSE/MCNE
RealGuru, MCSE/MCNE
I get this error when trying to send email. This just started
I get this error when trying to send email. This just started happening. I have no problems with receiving just sending. "The message could not be sent because the server rejected the sender's e-mail … read more
Hardware Engineer,
I have AOL Email. My Email comes to me but when I read them
I have AOL Email. My Email comes to me but when I read them I only see icons under "Type". The "Date", "Email address of sender" and "Subject" across the screen is blank. If I click the icon under "Ty… read more
Computer Technology Consultant,