Kevin
Kevin, Computer Systems Analyst
Experience:  Microsoft Certified Professional (MCSA, MCP) Technician with over 20 years of PC experience.
26642388

My old laptop computer died. My ITUNES library now only exsists

My old laptop computer died. My ITUNES library now only exsists on my IPOD. ITUNES on my new computer will only allow me to upload ITUNES purchases, so all my CD uploads, etc, are stranded on my IPOD. How do I upload my ENTIRE ITUNES library to my new laptop?

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you today.

Is it only music on the iPod you are trying to bring into your library?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

there are a couple movies and games on the IPOD I'd like to bring over as well. The music is the important isssue to me though.

Apple sure doesn't make this stuff easy on us, do they?

You will want to do this in two steps. I used to put together instructions for this, but found a youtube video that explains how to do it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TrGF-z8AJU

You will be moving everything to a folder, then adding the folder. After this is done, you can use this software to move the movies. It is a demo, but will give you enough to transfer your movies for free:

http://www.imtoo.com/ipod-computer-transfer.html

If the games were purchased, you can download them again with your iTunes library. Log into iTunes, then click Edit>>Preferences. Click the Store tab and then enable the checkmark reading 'Automatically Download Prepurchased Content.' Exit this window, then click Store>>Check for Available Downloads.

Anything you purchased should start downloading into your library at this point.

Edited by Kevin N on 3/1/2010 at 10:24 PM EST
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Ok, I downloaded the files off the IPOD onto my new laptop... well, most of them. Managed to get approx 9 of 11 Gig of music moved before I got an error message and it stopped copying. Tried to upload the 9G of music into ITUNES and nothing. I followed the steps, clicked on the back up folder on my desktop as the You Tube vid instructed, and nothing happens. The text box closes and nothing.
Okay - regarding the folder on your desktop, did you go into iTunes, then click File>>Add Folder to Library? If you select the folder you made, everything should be pulled in.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
correct. Through ITUNES, clicked FILE- ADD FOLDER TO LIBRARY. I'm certain its the right file. Could it possibly make a difference that I already uploaded the "Purchases" off the IPOD into ITUNES on the new computer? I dont see how it could, but ITUNES baffles me. I have the same 5 gig of "Purchases" in ITUNES now as compared to when we started this. Should at least be up to the new 9 G that we downloaded off the IPOD to the desktop folder.... grrrrr

It shouldn't make a difference...

If you click on Edit>>Preferences, then the Advanced tab, then enable the 'Copy music to my library' checkmark, does this make a difference?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No luck :( I noticed that I can select individual songs "upload a FILE" and that will work, but not the whole folder under the "upload a folder" tab.

With the 'Add Folder' option, are you selecting the very top level folder? There should be a folder you named, like 'My Folder', then all of the other folders below it. Are you adding it at the 'My Folder' level?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Yes. Not selecting a sub folder

I found another way...

This software works like Imtoo, but it's free. This is the first free version of this kind of software I have found - this should move everything over:

http://www.ipodpctransfer.com/

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

The program was free all the way to the point were it actually completed the transfer of files from the IPOD to ITUNES. Cost $23. The program is still running, but so far, so good!

I looked all over the site - they said nothing about that. Can't say I'm too surprised, but because it's a bit of a niche software.

Did you end up buying a copy?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i did pay the $23 bucks, and the software seems to have worked and copied all but a 100+ of over 3,000 songs. All in all, I'm excited! Thank you so much for your help!

You're welcome :)

Money well spent I think - it's alot of work to try to get all of the media again...