Saturday I downloaded Explorer 7 to my computer to replace…

Customer Question
Saturday I downloaded Explorer 7...
Saturday I downloaded Explorer 7 to my computer to replace 6. I downloaded it from Microsoft. Now I cannot access URL's contained within the body of my e-mails, with Outlook express. Changed nothing else. Looked at all my antivirus stuff to see if any changes within the setting on those things could have the url's blocked but no changing... Read full answer
Saturday I downloaded Explorer 7 to my computer to replace 6. I downloaded it from Microsoft. Now I cannot access URL's contained within the body of my e-mails, with Outlook express. Changed nothing else. Looked at all my antivirus stuff to see if any changes within the setting on those things could have the url's blocked but no changing restores my ability to access these webpages in an e-mail. Hope you can help me.
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Computer
2/28/2010
Tech Support Specialist: Matt, Computer Support Specialist replied 9 years ago
Matt, Computer Support Specialist

Hi

Sorry to hear that.

Please close Outlook Express and then open Internet Explorer, then navigate to Tools > Internet Options > Programs, and under the 'Default web browser' header, click on the 'Make default' button, and click 'Ok'.

Check if it resolves your issue.

If it doesn't, then navigate to Tools > Internet Options > Advanced, and click on the 'Reset...' button present; in the dialog box that comes up, press 'Reset' once again, then restart IE normally and check if the issue persists now as well.

Keep me posted.

Regards.

Matt, Computer Support Specialist

is this the same as "use default" I don't have a "make default"

are you getting my questions?

Yes, it's the same thing. I assume you are in Tools > Internet Options > Programs

none of this workedthe internet tool for changing the homepage will not let me change it, says "not responding" I had always used Ask.com for a homepage. it changed it to Msn.com and then when i clicked on "use default" it went to a microsoft.com/link page

Thanks for the clarification.

I think you went to the wrong location. Now, go to Tools > Internet Options >select the 'Programs' tab in the top instead of 'General' (the page you went before to change the home page)> under the 'Default web browser' header, click on the 'Make default' button, and click 'Ok'.

Edited by Matt on 2/28/2010 at 8:12 PM EST
that button cannot be accessed. It has Internet Explorer as default and then the "make default" cannot be clicked on

Thanks for the clarification.

If you still cannot open the links in Outlook Express, this could be because IE7 is not compatible with Windows 2000 (it's only compatible with Windows XP onwards). Uninstall IE7 and re-install IE6 and check whether you can open the links alright now.

Keep me posted.

i tried to download explorer 8 before I did 7 and it downloaded then before I could finish it it stated that "I couldn't finish it because newer versions existed", so I assumed it never downloaded and maybe my 2000 wasn't compatible with 8.0 so I did the 7 and it went through. Then I discovered I couldn't access the URL's in my e-mails last night. I seem to remember having this problem last year and finally found something in the e-mail virus guard to turn off and then it started back to accessing them. But nothing I did this time has let me access them. I made sure to put it all back the way it was. i'm starting to panic on this nowI have Windows XP so it seems to be compatible with it. Although I would just like to reinstall 6 and let it go. How do I uninstall 7.0. I don't see it under remove programs on the Control panel. If you can tell me how to uninstall it I will do that and go to microsoft and reinstall 6.

IE7 is not compatible with Windows 2000. See here:

http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2005/05/27/422721.aspx

Please follow the steps below:

• Open C:\Program files\Internet Explorer.
  • Right click the folder Uninstall information.
  • Click Properties
  • Uncheck the hidden mode and press OK.
  • Go to C:\Program files\Internet Explorer\Setup.
  • Run setup.exe
  •  

will that just uninstall 7.0 or is that uninstalling and then reinstalling the old 6.0. The reason I upgraded, and it sounds silly, is that on facebook it kept telling me to upgrade my browser. Just let me know if these steps uninstalls 7 and then running the setup.exe puts back the old program?there is not an Uninstall program under Internet Explorer Files....

here are the files under Program files/Internet Explorer:

Connection Wizard, MUI, SignUp: hmmapi.dll: ieproxy.dll: en-US: Plugins: Custsat.dll: iedw and iexplore

Ok, please download and re-install IE6 from here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/ie6/downloads/critical/ie6sp1/default.mspx

See if t works.

okay I found the place. .....But under properites, the hidden button is not checked.
    Ok, try uninstalling it then. Then re-install IE6 from the link I gave you.
    I don't know how to uninstall it. do I just delete all those files I mentioned that were under Explorer Program files? I tried to install 6 from the linnk you gave me but it said work was pending on this computer etc. and I had to rebootdo i just click on each file and then do 'delete file" under file and folder tasks

Did you follow the steps given in my previous answer?

• Click Properties
  • Uncheck the hidden mode and press OK.
  • Run setup.exe
  •  

still waiting for your answer on how to uninstall explorer 7

I've already replied. Please check my last answer.
    there is no way to "uncheck" hidden box. it is unhighlighted. I have no way of knowing how to uninstall Explorer 7. I've tried to delete the files one by one but it won't let me

Please download the following freeware uninstaller utility using the given link:

http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html

Done that, run and use the utility to remove IE7 accordingly ...let me know if this works for you.

if i uninstall 7 then how am I going to reinstall 6 from the internet. I can't get back on
    Download and save the IE6 installation file first, then uninstall IE7 and then install IE6.
    okay. I had to stop and go to church. I couldn't go back to the answers from where I was cause the page had expired but I came to the "conclusion" that what I asked was a stupid question cause I had the setup saved for 6 it just wouldn't install it with the newer version still there. I'll try to uninstall it and then reinstall from the saved file. Otherwise I have my setup disc. I'll be back if this doesn't work. And it may not be the answer to why the e-mail url's will not open, we'll just have to see.
    No problem. Take your time.
    i wanted to thank you for the help. i got the explorer 7 uninstalled but when i went to the 6 setup i had saved under program files it wouldn't download, said something was being finished in the program and download would not be finished, reboot. tried that and it didn't let me download it even then. So what i did was went to my setup CD that came with the computer and reloaded 6 from the disc. Got it reloaded and everything is back to normal, accessing URL's in e-mail with no problem. I won't be trying to upgrade a browser anymore. 7 works on the XP but evidently is not compatible with Outlook Express. This stuff can drive you nuts. Thank you again, I would not have thought of looking for a website that had a program for uninstalling. I'm so relieved. My husband is going in tomorrow for major surgery and I hated leaving this unfixed. Thanks again and I surely will recommend your services in the future. I'll keep my service till next month in case i need something again.

No problem. It's a pleasure.

Best wishes for your husband. Hope the surgery goes well.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Regards.

Still looking for an answer to your question? 
    Similar Q&As
    Im having a problem with my e-mail URL links - when I click
    I'm having a problem with my e-mail URL links - when I click on them I get this message: Earlier today, I had installed googleChrome...but I didn't like the setup so I uninstalled it...that's when th … read more
    Computer Software Engineer,
    I find link URLs in many of my E-mails, saying click to go
    I find link URL's in many of my E-mails, saying "click to go to them." I CLICK and nothing happpens for a long, long time; then a message is returned, "CAN'T FIND THE URL." It used to work, but I had … read more
    Computer Technican,
    Hi. I have Microsoft Outlook 6 as an e-mail program. Yesterday
    Hi. I have Microsoft Outlook 6 as an e-mail program. Yesterday I have lost about 1.5 years of e-mails from Inbox going back from 2nd February. To my knowledge didn't click anything out of the ordinary… read more
    Wiz of All
    Wiz of All
    Stop searching for answers—
    When I try to open Outlook Express I get an error message 0x800C013E.
    When I try to open Outlook Express I get an error message 0x800C013E. How can I resolve this problem. Brian Dobson… read more
    Molinari
    Molinari
    Professional Tech Expert,
    CompTIA A+ Certification
    I cannot access the websites that are listed in an e-mail.
    I cannot access the websites that are listed in an e-mail. Why would that happen all of a sudden?… read more
    IT Consultant,
    I have misplaced the e-mail that answered my first question.
    I have misplaced the e-mail that answered my first question. Can you send me the answer again?… read more
    Ansh P.
    Ansh P.
    System Analyst,
    Get a personalized answer to your question. 
    When sending email with attachment(s), using Outlook Express
    When sending email with attachment(s), using Outlook Express 6, How do I control whether the attachment appears in the body of the email message on the recipient's end, or remain only as an unopened a… read more
    Mr. Clark
    Mr. Clark
    IT Director,
    Have a new emachine computer with windows 7. internet commection
    Have a new emachine computer with windows 7. internet commection is peoplepc.com Everythin working fine but cannot connect to Outlook express. No icon appears.… read more
    s4sys
    s4sys
    B.Tech in Computer Science Engineer
    Hi I tried to download Outlook Express 6.0 from softpedia.com
    Hi: I tried to download Outlook Express 6.0 from softpedia.com to my new HP (Windows 7) computer, but get message that it doesn't download to 64 bit platforms. Please advise. Thank you. Hans Schenkman… read more
    Jerry Hannell
    Jerry Hannell
    i HAVE NO TROUBLE RECEIVING/SENDING MAIL. HOWEVER, IF THERE
    i HAVE NO TROUBLE RECEIVING/SENDING MAIL. HOWEVER, IF THERE IS A LINK IN THE BODY OF THE MESSAGE - I CANNOT OPEN IT. I HAVE NO TROUBLE OPENING ATTACHMENTS, BUT CANNOT OPEN ANY LINKS IN THE BODY. I HAV… read more
    Dragonfly
    Dragonfly
    My Block Sender List deletes when I close outlook express.
    My "Block Sender List" deletes when I close outlook express. I have windows XP and all critical updates are installed.… read more
    Dr. Dan
    Dr. Dan
    My old computer that was running XP Media went belly-up, and
    My old computer that was running XP Media went belly-up, and I purchased a new computer with Windows 7. For e-mail, I previously used Outlook Express, but I have been unable to access it for my new co… read more
    Sam Carney
    Sam Carney
    Systems Operations Manager,
    Stop searching for answers—
    Hello, Im having a problem with Outlook Express. When I get
    Hello, I'm having a problem with Outlook Express. When I get an e-mail with a hyperlink in it, and I click on the hyperlink, it is not taking me to the web browser, it does nothing. Can you tell me ho… read more
    Nenad Pasic
    Nenad Pasic
    IT Manager,
    We have used Outlook Express 6 installed on our PC for many
    We have used Outlook Express 6 installed on our PC for many years with no trouble. Suddenly, yesterday, all the Inbox mail (between 100 & 200 messages) disappeared! From Dec. 17th to date the messages… read more
    RPI Solutions
    RPI Solutions
    Technician, Developer,
    current e-mail account in outlook express 6 keeps reverting
    current e-mail account in outlook express 6 keeps reverting back to old e-mail account in outlook 2002… read more
    Carl Poersch
    Carl Poersch
    Sr. Network Engineer,
    Since 9-1, I havent been able to send pictures. Internet Explorer
    Since 9-1, I haven't been able to send pictures. Internet Explorer says that my Hotmail user name/password XXXXX invalid. Can this be corrected?… read more
    Carl Poersch
    Carl Poersch
    Sr. Network Engineer,
    I have hotmail plus account, and on 09-01-2009 my outlook express
    I have hotmail plus account, and on 09-01-2009 my outlook express will not let me access to my mail here is the error message: ????????????????????????? ??: 'hotmail', ???: 'http://services.msn.com/sv… read more
    Hunter Owens
    Hunter Owens
    Computer Specialist,
    My computer asked if I wanted to compress my e-mails to ...
    My computer asked if I wanted to compress my e-mails to save space. I clicked "yes", allowing that function to complete but now I cannot access that range of e-mails (Feb/06 to Jun/06) even though it … read more
    PCman
    PCman
    Software Engineer / Program Manager,
    Bachelor Degree