I have forgotten my emachines e627 bios password

Customer Question
?...
I have forgotten my emachines e627 bios password ?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Computer
2/28/2010
Tech Support Specialist: CyberWerx, IT Solutions Architect replied 7 years ago
CyberWerx
CyberWerx, IT Solutions Architect

There are two ways the BIOS will "remember" passwords. The first is it will store it in battery backed memory in which case you can clear it by disconnecting the PC from all power sources, removing the battery (size of a small silver coin) on the motherboard and shorting the two connectons to the battery on the MB for about 5 seconds to completely discharge any capacitors holding up the voltage on the BB RAM.

If the above does not work the BIOS is storing the password XXXXX the "flash" memory. The only way you can clear this is to re-flash the BIOS with an older version of the BIOS and then the latest version of the BIOS. You need to go through this ritual because most BIOS flash programs won't update the flash if it is the same version you are trying to apply.

If this has not helped resolve your problem ... DO NOT ACCEPT ... I do not expect any payment until your problem is resolved to your satisfaction. Reply to me with as much additional information as you can and I will continue "working the problem" ...

If you feel I have helped solve your problem or you feel we have taken this question as far as we can and you are completely satisfied please press the ACCEPT icon as it is the only way I get paid. Positive feedback and Bonus's for that "extra mile" are always appreciated.

this is a laptop and not easily taken apart. BTW, it is running Windows 7, not XP.

If you can't get at the battery easily try reflashing the BIOS to an older version then the latest version ... more often than not re-flashing the BIOS "backwards" will clear the NV-RAM as well.

In order to flash the bios you must be able to boot from a cd or other device. In order to boot from the cd (or anything else) you must get past the bios password. The question is: How do i get past the bios password? Is there some backdoor trick to get past the password?

Generally you flash the BIOS from a bootable USB flash drive (to MS DOS).

Unless you have intentionally removed the USB devices from the boot list it should work.

If not you are between the proverbial "rock and a hard place" and need to get the PC back to the manufacturer or take it apart so you can get at the battery for the NV-RAM.

I guess I am between the proverbial "rock and a hard place" because it will not boot from a cd or USB. I can't figure out how to open the piece of S%$^&.... The solution is to throw it away and start over. BotXXXXX XXXXXne..... I still have the BIOS password XXXXX!

This is really a "hands on" problem ... sorry I could not help you resolve it.

You need to get your PC to a "manufacturer supported" technician. They will have the tools needed to crack open the case and clear the NV-RAM.

CyberWerx
CyberWerx
CyberWerx, IT Solutions Architect