Cpolarek
Cpolarek, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  10 YR IT Manager
30863715

My mouse and keyboard are not working on my desktop computer..I

My mouse and keyboard are not working on my desktop computer..I have unplugged and changed them out with other ones that I know work and still nothing. Any suggestions as how they might have gotton locked or something??
Category: Computer
Expert:  Cpolarek replied 7 years ago.
Are the connectors that you plug into the computer round (ps2) or rectangle (USB)?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
round
Expert:  Cpolarek replied 7 years ago.
Do you know if you have any USB ports on your computer? If not, give me the model of your computer and I can find it out for you.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
yes.. I have USB ports on my computer
Expert:  Cpolarek replied 7 years ago.

ok, 1 of 3 things is wrong with your computer.

1) the motherboard ports for the keyboard and mouse are bad (most of the time they both connect to the same part of the main board)

2) Both have been deactivated (unlikely as you'd have to do a few steps to make this happen.

3) the driver that supports the controller for the keyboard and mouse is messed up (also a possibility)

Here's what you need to do. Get a usb keyboard and mouse and plug those in and you shouldn't have any problem. In order to fix #2 and #3, you'll need a working keyboard and mouse.

Once you get this plugged in, you can look at your device manager in control panel and see if there are any ! or ? on the devices.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
is there an adapter that I can get to go from the round to a USB port and try that instead of buying a new keyboard and mouse?
Expert:  Cpolarek replied 7 years ago.
There are, but you'd have to order them as i don't believe bestbuy or local stores carry them.... i'll find you a link
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
thanks
Expert:  Cpolarek replied 7 years ago.