I have a dell inspiron 1750 with windows 7. Ive tried ever

Customer Question
I have a dell inspiron...
I have a dell inspiron 1750 with windows 7. I've tried everything to disable the touchpad and cannot. I inadvertantly hit it while typing and it moves my cursor all over the page. Pleas Help!
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Computer
2/7/2010
Tech Support Specialist: Karl, Information Systems Manager replied 7 years ago
Karl
Karl, Information Systems Manager
Hi & welcome to Just Answer!

You will need to go to control panel and open device manager. Find Mouse and pointing devices and right click on the Sypnatics and choose disable. You can re enable it anytime.

Let me know if you need any further help or have questions!

Please don't forget to hit "Accept" for my answer so I can get credit. Positive feedback is also greatly appreciated!
under control panel I can find view devices and printers under hardware and sound, but I don't see a device manager. Also, I've been trying to disable this for over an hour and have yet to see anything labeled sypnatics.
Hi!

You can find Device Manager in Control Panel by click on Devices and Printers and then Device Manager. (Within Control Panel)

Thanks!

I have two choices under mice and other pointing devices. 1. HID-compliant mouse 2. PS/2 compatible mouse.

The first one must be my wireless mouse, as when I hit disable it disables it. the second doesn't have a disable tab to hit.

Ok - Since you have a wireless mouse, we can use Dell's drivers to disable to touchpad when your mouse is connect - when it is not, it will re-enable. Or disable completely through this route.

Note: If you do not see this Dell configuration on your laptop - you will need to download & install the driver on the link below.

To do this:

Go to the Control Panel. Under the ‘Hardware and Sound’ options, click ‘Mouse’

graphic

Since you have a Dell laptop, you’ll have a special tab called ‘Dell touchpad’ in the window that pops up. Click on the touchpad picture in the window.

graphic

In the new window that appears, click ‘Device Select’

graphic

Click on the ‘Disable’ radio button to disable the touchpad completely. If you want to disable the touchpad of your Dell laptop only when an external device like a mouse is attached, check the last option that says ‘Disable Touchpad/Pointing Stick when external USB mouse is present’

graphic

That’s it. You’ve disabled your laptop’s touchpad for good. If you don’t find an option to manage your touchpad in Mouse settings, you have to install Synaptics drivers from here.
I'd already tried that exact thing off of the dell webpage, but I tried again. I don't have the "Dell touchpad" that pops up. I went ahead and downloaded the synaptics driver from the link and still nothing.
After you have downloaded & installed the driver - please reboot the computer. Let me know if everything shows up then.

Thanks!
Still nothing
I have opted out of this question. I will let another expert try to assist you.

Thanks!
Tech Support Specialist: Viet - Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist replied 7 years ago
Viet - Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist

Please try going to the BIOS setup menu to disable to touchpad. When you turn on the power of the computer, keeps pressing & releasing key F1 (it could also be key F2 or Delete). Then when you are in the BIOS, go through all the options, and look for Touchpad and disable it.

Thanks,
-Viet
Where is the Bios setup menu. I've tried a search for it and turn up nothing.
Have you tried keep pressing key F1 or F2 or Delete immediately after turning on the computer? It's called either BIOS or Setup menu

If it does not work, check the manual from your computer website. If you cannot find the manual, please send me your computer brand & model, I'll look forit.
I tried that and It takes me to a screen to select what operating system to use. I only have windows 7, so I select it, and then it starts up as normal. My computer is a Dell Inspiron 1750 running windows 7
That's not the BIOS menu.

I found out the F2 is the key to go into BIOS. As soon as you have turned on the computer, Can you press & release F2 repeatedly.

Thanks,
-Viet
I'm going to have my neighbor come over and try that. He's better with computers than me. I'll let you know the outcome.
OK. Let me know how it goes later. Thanks.

My neighbor checked it out and I watched him. We went line by line in the bios menu and there was nothing about pointing devices or mouse or touchpad.

I read somewhere online that dell has yet to create a driver to fix this problem. Does that mean I'm just screwed until they decide to put out a fix.

Sorry, probably so. I will leave the question open for other techs if they have any other suggestion.