Claws224, IEEE Network Engineer, Microsoft
Experience:  approx 20 years of experience from software to hardware design
5195814

My HP Photosmart 3210 all in one printer wont scan using scan

My HP Photosmart 3210 all in one printer won't scan using scan button on printer. Window gives message "no Scan options". Have completely uninstalled and reinstalled software. Same message appears in printer window. It will scan using computer/solution center.

Can you tell us what operating system you are usin gon your computer and can you also look next to the clock and let us know if you see a gray icon with a green check mark over it?

Thanks

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I'm using XP pro OS and no gray icon with a green checkmark.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I'm using Windows XP Pro. There is no gray icon with a green checkmark next to the clock. I can use the scan feature from the computer by going to the HP Solution Center.

Ok,

It should look like this graphic do you see anything like this or not?

If you do not have it lets double check a few things, So can you open the HP Solution Center software and click Settings then chooseScan Settings and Preferences then click Scan to Setup and open the Destination List tab and let me know if it shows anything in the right hand side Front Panel Destination List.

Thanks

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Did all that and No it doesn't show anything in the right hand panel
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Followed your instructions, It doesn't show anything in right hand panel. Does show 11 destinations in left hand panel. Paint, Word, image Zone etc.

Great,

In that case can you choose what destinations you would like to be able to choose from when you press the buttons on the front panel and then click the right arrow to add the destinations to the list.

Once fininshed can you then hit OK to save the selections and wait 30 seconds then let me know if you can select scan and if it now offers you a choice of locations to scan to?

Thanks

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I'm not concerned with destination of scan, I'm wanting the Scan button on the front of the all-in-one photosmart printer to function. The Copy button does and the Photo/film button does.

Ok,

The way the scan button works is that you press it and then you choose where you want to scan to, This is so that if you load a picture you can scan it to yoru phtographic application and if you load a document you can send it to word or something else.

That is why you have to choose the destinations, If you only want one you could select File and that way anything you scan will be sent to the file of your choosing.

No matter what we do you have to choose at least on destination or the scan function will have nowhere to go to

Does that make this any clearer?

Thanks

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I did all you ask, and when I try and scan from printer I get message "there is no connection". This even though I can print from computer and use HP solution Center in computer to scan with. I know the computer is connected to the printer. What you say makes sense, but the printer scan function doesn't work. I have just tried it twice more and get the same message.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I went through the whole procedure we have been talking about, however the problem isn't solved. It is still giving me the message there is no connection. This even though the other functions on the printer work. I know the computer is connected. Any more suggestions?

Ok,

In tha tcase we will need to reload the HP software as the DIM (Digital Imaging Monitor) icon is missing from your toolbar and that is what the scanner uses to talk to your computer when the buttons are pressed, as the DIM is not runnning your scanner does not have the destinations available to it.

So can you tell me if you have the disk?

If not we can check and see if some form of optimization softwware may have turned off the DIM software.

To do this can you click Start then click Run and then type msconfig hit OK .

When the System Configuration Utility window opens can you click the Startup tab and then look at the HP Digital Imaging Monitor check box for (hpqtra08 ) and make shure it is checked and let me know

Thanks

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I went to the start up tab. The Hp Digital imaging box wasn't checked. I checked it but will have to restart the computer for it to take effect. So will do that.

Great,

If you can restart then just come back to justanswer.com and it willbring you back here so you can let me know if you now have the icon next to yoru clock and can now hit the scan button

Thanks

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I do have the Icon next to the clock. And I have had success with scanning from the printer button.
Thank you very much. It had me snowed. Are we commited to the $14.00. My first experience here it is worth at least $18.00 how do we change it?

Not to worry,

The $14.00 is fine.

Please let me know if I can be of any help in the future

Thanks