Alex G
Alex G, Consultant
Experience:  Systems/Network Administrator 12 Years Experience
26306245

packARD Bell recovery disk asking for validation code

Customer Question

Category: Computer
Expert:  Alex G replied 7 years ago.
Packard bell validation codes are most likely printed on the sleeve the disc came in or on the PC.
Expert:  Alex G replied 7 years ago.
If you found my answer satisfactory please accept it otherwise I do not get paid
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
no validation code on disks i have been advised that packard bell techs have code but charge for call out to put in these codes. I already have windows vista code but require validation code for master cd from packard bell. I cannot load master cd until i have this code.
Expert:  Alex G replied 7 years ago.
What model Computer do you have? Could you tell me the serial #?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i have a packard bell easynote, not sure of serial number as it is not on the back of the laptop.
Expert:  Alex G replied 7 years ago.

You might not need the validation code to perform a recovery

Try pressing F11 during boot. As soon as you turn on the computer keep pressing F11. That might boot it into the automatic recovery process.

If that doesn't work I am going to need at least a model # XXXXX go forward.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
F11 does not work however I have serial number it is : 105945030386
Expert:  Alex G replied 7 years ago.

Have you replaced this hard drive before? Try pressing the F11 key repeatedly once you see the Packard Bell logo. Sometimes it is difficult to get into the recovery mode.

Do you have the windows Vista Installation DVD?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
F11 is no good the hard drive was mistakenly formatted and i downloaded copy of XP in error. I have Packard Bell recovery however it asks for validation code when i try to re-install recovery disk
Expert:  Alex G replied 7 years ago.

Sorry it took so long for a response but it is going to be very difficult to restore this computer without a validation code.

The Packard bell master disk checks a special part of the hard drive for hidden information. If this hidden information isn't there then it asks for a validation code. If you want to want to use the master disk your going to have to "tattoo" this hard drive with that special information and to bypass the validation code. Here is a link that may help you do this. It is a very long and tedious process that may not even work correctly as this is an XP machine. Unfortunately Packard Bell doesn't exist in the US anymore making it extremely difficult to repair.

http://uktsupport.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=7391

I would try entering in your serial # XXXXX the validation code.

If this doesn't work unfortunately i think your best bet might be to acquire a Windows Vista CD. Remember you do not need to purchase a copy of windows vista you only need the installation media as the CD-KEY is printed on a sticker on your computer. If you cannot find a friend with a copy you might want to check ebay.

Good luck. Please let me know how you make out and if I can help any further.

I was just doing some more research and i found these codes

PB98 or PBE98

Try entering them also

Please let me know how you make out as I really want to solve this problem.

Expert:  Alex G replied 7 years ago.

I also just read somewhere that this code is a 5 letter code near the serial #.

So I would check by the serial # XXXXX try entering in any set of 5 digits and see if the master disc will accept it.

Expert:  Alex G replied 7 years ago.
Just wanted to know how you made out. Im just really curious if I solved your problem. If I did please hit the accept button as I do not get paid if you do not accept.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
no solution yet tried above, just ordered copy of vista will try that and if it works i will accept your answer.