I am having trouble receiving faxes. I have an HP Officejet…

Customer Question
I am having trouble receiving...
I am having trouble receiving faxes. I have an HP Officejet Pro L7590
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Computer
1/11/2010
Tech Support Specialist: JeffreyLDyer, Consultant replied 8 years ago
JeffreyLDyer
JeffreyLDyer, Consultant

HiCustomer

Are you using Windows 7, Vista, XP?

What troubles are you having related to faxes? Does the printer output a sheet of paper? Do you receive any errors?

JeffreyLDyer
JeffreyLDyer, Consultant

I have not received an answer, I only got another question

I am getting paper and an erroe report

HiCustomer

What does the error report say?

The error report says Error 232*

* A communication error occurred during the fax transmission.

If you're sending, try again and/or call to make sure the recipient's

fax machine is ready to receive faxes. If you're receiving, contact

the initiator and ask them to send the document again.

My receip[ient did send the fax again and it still didn't go thru.

HiCustomer

This is a communication error. The phone connection has too much electronic noise in it.You might get some improvement by turning "ECM" off.

Does this error occur with only one person, or does it occur with all faxes?

What is ECM ? I do often get this message. But I seem to get ,most of my faxes. Today I am not receiving any.

It does not happen with only one person and it does not happen all of the time.

HiCustomer

Here are the instructions and an explanation:

Introduction

Phone line noise or low signal strength during a fax transmission can result in intermittent fax failures. Noise or poor signal strength can cause all or part of the fax information to be lost during transmission. When Error Correction Mode (ECM) is on , the receiving fax machine checks fax information for errors during reception. If an error is detected, the receiving fax machine requests that the sending fax machine resend all or part of the fax information. Sending all or part of the information again makes the transmission time longer, but it makes sure the quality of the received fax is high. If the phone line quality or signal strength is poor, too many errors can occur, and the fax transmission can fail.

Turning Error Correction Mode (ECM) off can improve the ability of the fax machine to send a fax successfully when the phone line quality is poor. However, the received fax image quality might be poor.

ECM should be left on under normal conditions. If ECM must be turned off to send faxes successfully, have the phone service provider check the phone line quality. For HP fax machines, turning ECM OFF from the HP machine's front panel does not necessarily mean that the fax transmission will not use ECM. The following list describes when ECM will or will not be used:

• All faxes sent in color will use ECM
  • All faxes sent at the highest transmission speed will use ECM
  • The ECM setting affects only faxes sent, not received

Enabling or disabling Error Correction Mode (ECM)

1. On the control panel, press Fax Menu .
  2. Press the right arrow button ( ) until Advance Fax Menu displays on the control panel, and then press OK .
  3. Press the right arrow button ( ) until Error Correction Mode displays on the control panel, and then press OK .
I must be doing something wrong. I press FAX menu and Enter Number comes up. I press the right arrow and nothing happens.

HiCustomer

When 'Enter Number' comes up, select 'OK', and enter your fax number. After you have done that, go back to the fax menu and see if you have other options.

There are other options-Resolution,lighter/or darker,two sided send, how to fax,set new defaults
I had to leave. I am hopeful that you can help me. I will be waiting for your next idea.
I had to leave, also. I will continue to work with you. Can you please remove the negative feedback?

Good Morning!

You mentioned something about the phone line. We have cable, so I don't think that is the problem. I am going to have someone else send me a fax this morning and we will see if it works.

I still can't figure out how to turn off ECM.

HiCustomer

Did you receive the fax ok?

Yes I did. Actually I tried to send a fax to the same # XXXXX couldn't get thru and I had trouble. Then, I called her and tried again and it worked.

Do you think it is her fax and not mine?

HiCustomer

It is possible that it's her fax machine. But, it's still possible that it's the phone connection between you and others sending faxes. Something you can try is to change the phone cord that you are using with your fax machine. Are you using the one that came with the fax or are you using a different one?

My phone is connected to a cable line. We have Comcast cable and all of our phones are connected to cable, along with our internet and TV

HiCustomer

I understand that your phone uses cable...this is called 'Voice Over IP' or VOIP.

However, your phone/fax has to connect to something with a normal phone cord. I'm suggesting that you change that cord to a new one.

Well guess what, I think it worked!! I changed the cord and had the party that was having trouble faxing me do it again. I also faxed back to her and it went thru.

Thanks for all of your help!

HiCustomer

Excellent. I have a favor to ask. Could you please remove the negative feedback you left? That really hurt my feedback score, and we live by that around here.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

I will be happy to remove the negative feed back. I am wondering what I said. Tell me how to remove it. You have really helped me. If I have any complaint it is with HP

HiCustomer

I'm checking. I'll get back with you.

OK

HiCustomer

I'm having a hard time finding instructions on removing negative feedback. You can just leave it. I don't think it will damage me too much. Laughing

I'm just glad we got you up and running again.

Have a great day!

Thanks for all of your help!
You are very welcome. Have a great day!