Bryan, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  8+ years of professional support for tech-related issues, including computers, email and software.
12615041

How can I delete ask.com search engine from my computer When

How can I delete ask.com search engine from my computer? When I go to internet explorer to get on the internet instead of getting AT&T I get ask.com search engine.

Please download a freeware utility, HijackThis, using the following link:
http://free.antivirus.com/hijackthis/

Run the utility and carry out a scan, and check all of the instances of the ASK BHO (browser helper object), and remove the selected items accordingly.

Hopefully, this should resolve your issue all right.

Regards
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I am a senior citizen and not up on computer technical terms - How do I download a freeware utility, Hijack This? Do I just go onto the free.antivirus.com link? And will it show me how to scan and check all the askbho to remove the items?  Thank you.
Just click on the link I had provided, then click on the 'Download HijackThis' link to download theprogram accordingly. Done that, open the program and click on the 'Scan and save a logfile' option present, then a logfile will come up. Copy and paste the contents of the logfile here, so that I can take a look at it.

Regards
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
How do I copy and paste the info for you? Sorry I have no computer training and I am at a loss.
No worries; just click and drag your mouse over the info in order to highlight it, then right-click and select 'Copy'. Done that, right-click on your Reply box, and select 'Paste' in order to paste it accordingly.

Regards
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I went to the site and pressed the run area and it didn't work. I don't know what to do.
Okay ...now, please open Internet Explorer, then go to Tools > Internet Options; in the window that comes up, under the 'Homepage' field, erase the text present and type in the following:
http://www.att.com/

Hit 'Apply' thereafter, and restart the browser; what comes up now?

Regards
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
When I try to open internet explorer I get the ask.com search engine page. How do I get the Tools internet options?
Are there any options at the top, i.e. File, Edit, View, etc.?

Regards
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes, you are right - I am going to try it now - wish me luck
Fingers crossed ..keep me posted.

Regards
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Instead of bringing up the e-mail screen it brings up info ad for purchasing att products.
Okay ...I assume you are using the ATT webmail to access your emails?

Regards
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes
Okay ..please set the following as your Homepage:
http://webmail.att.net/

Let me know what comes up now.

Regards
Could you specify just the part that comes after the '@' in your email address?

Regards
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
@ yahoo.com. I was wondering if I should just type HTTP://mail.att.net? Do you think that might work? Thank you for your patience. If I don't come right back to your response I have to go to the rest room. Thanks.
In that case, the following is what you need:
http://mail.yahoo.com/

Regards
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
ok - I'll try that and let you know.
Okay.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It worked!!!!! Hurray!!!! Thank you so much. It's nice to know a computer genius. I wish I could adopt you. Thank you again.
Glad to know that ...please click 'Accept' you found my service helpful!

Regards