How to resolve WindowsUpdate_8007006E error

Customer Question
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Computer
12/4/2009
Tech Support Specialist: Mike D., Computer Support Specialist replied 7 years ago
Mike D.
Mike D., Computer Support Specialist
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-Do you have Office 2007 installed?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Do you
Yes, it was recently installed. Seems to work OK. However, sometimes says to look at installation log as part of initialization process.
When running the windows update, leave the Office install CD in the drive.

Mike D.
Mike D., Computer Support Specialist
Thanks, I will give it a try tomorrow.
Let me know how it goes.

Mike, Didn't solve the problem. Since last message have reinstall\repair both Win 7 and Office 2007. Problem seems to be with SP2 for Office. Is it possible to delete the SP (wherever it is hidden on the drive, and then get a fresh download? Updates for other programs take without error.
Howard
Howard,

This answer assumes you attempted to install the update using Windows Update. If not, let me know.

First we are going to clean up some temporary files and then scan for viruses, malware, and trojans. Then we will download the SP2 file and install form your hard drive.

A. The Clean Up Part.

1. Close all programs.
2. Download CCleaner from http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner and install it.
3. Run CCleaner.
4. There will be a list with Internet Explorer, Windows Explorer, etc. Under Internet Explorer, remove the check mark next to cookies.
5. Under Advanced, place check marks next to Old Prefetch data, IIS Log Files, and Hotfix Uninstallers.
6. Click on Run Cleaner.
7. When it is done, reboot.

B. The Virus Check Part

1. Download and install the Free Edition of SuperAntiSpyware available here - http://www.superantispyware.com/download.html
2. Run the program, perform updates and perform a full scan.
3. Remove what it finds.

4. Download and install the Free Version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
available here - http://www.malwarebytes.com/
5. Run the program, perform updates and perform a full scan.
6. Remove what it finds.

After performing a full scan with one and then the other and removing whatever they both find completely, uninstall these products.
REBOOT

C. Clean Registry

1. Run CCleaner.
2. On the left side click on Registry.
3. On the bottom, click on the button that says Scan for Issues.
4. When it is done click on the button on the lower right that says Fix selected issues
5. Say No when asked about backing up changes.
6. Click on Fix All Selected Issues and then OK.
7. Close that Windows that pops up when it says it is done.
11, Scan for Issues again and keep doing it until no more issues are found.

REBOOT

D. Download and Install

1. Download the complete SP2 for Office from here:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=b444bf18-79ea-46c6-8a81-9db49b4ab6e5
2. Install it.

Let me know if you gget stuck on any step.

Mike,
I use CCleaner all the time and run Vipre anitispyware and anti virus. Will the other programs cause a conflict? Have to tend to some other business in a few minutes. Therefore, probably won't get to the suggested steps until later this evening. If you get this going, a bonus is definately in order. Finally for now, what part of the country are you in? I'm in the Los Angeles area. Just curious!
Howard
Howard,

Skip th Ccleaner then. Other programs will not conflict.

Finish it later, let me know how it works.

Small world, I am in Reseda in the San Fernando Valley.

Or should I say "neighbor", I'm in Chatsworth. When this is over we should meet.
Howard
Mike D.
Mike D.
Mike D., Computer Support Specialist