Engineer John C., Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  Computer Science Engineer with 10 years of experience in Computer Support, and Microsoft, A+ and Cisco certified
23822421

Canon Pixma MP780 printer Ink cartridge wont return to center

Canon Pixma MP780 printer: Ink cartridge won't return to center when lid is opened. "Check printer" error message persists

Please try with the following:

Issue: ERROR LCD: CHECK PRINTER

Solution: Lower the lock lever on the print head holder MP780

Reseat Print Head to clear COVER OPEN message

1. Press the Open Button (1) to open the Paper Output Tray (2).

2. Raise the Scanning Unit until it stops.

1. Pull and hold the Scanning Unit Lever towards you, then raise the Scanning Unit.

2. The Print Head Holder moves to the middle.

3. Open the Inner Cover 1.

4. Open the Inner Cover 2.

CAUTION:

a. Do not try to manually move or stop the Print Head Holder.

b. Do not touch any metal parts.

5. Press the ink tank's tab (1), then remove it from the slot (2).

IMPORTANT:
    Handle ink tanks carefully to avoid staining clothing or the surrounding area.

6. Press down the lock lever.

7. Insert the ink tank into the empty slot on the print head. Press down gently on the ink tank until an audible click is heard. Make sure the ink tank is in the correct slot.

IMPORTANT:

a. Make sure that the ink tank is inserted in the slot that corresponds to the ink tank's color.

b. If the ink tank is inserted in the wrong slot, perform two head refreshings.

8. Close the Inner Cover 2.

9. Close the Inner Cover 1.

10. Pull the Scanning Unit Lever towards you to close the Scanning Unit.

Please let me know if that worked!

If you found my answer helpful please click the ACCEPT button, so I can get paid for my effort. Any bonus and Positive Feedback are greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Jhon Cappuccio
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Hi Jhon!

After the scanning unit is raised, the print head holder does not move to the middle. I haven't touched it for fear of forcing anything - but currently with the scan unit raised the print head holder is not accessible (on the right hand side of the unit, tucked away). Thanks for any insight you can provide!

Can you give me the exact error message ?

Thank you

Jhon Cappuccio
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

It says,

Check Printer

Press [OK]

Ok, Let's try resetting the printer:

1- On the operator panel, press and hold the On/Off button for 10 seconds. (The display will go blank.)

2- Unplug the power cord. Wait 30 seconds and plug it again.

3- Press the On/Off button again.

4- Wait until the device has completed its cycling process before submitting another job request.

Let me know if that worked

Thank you

Jhon Cappuccio
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Hey!

Thanks for the suggestion. Did the above 4 steps, and opened the scan unit again to see if any change - still no budging from the print cartridge holder. Same error message popped on when it started up and would not clear after repeating the above

Check Printer

Press [OK]

Maybe is a hardware issue. Do you still have warranty for that printer?

Please download the following pdf file. It is the troubleshooting for that error (Check Printer Press [OK]) . The file is here: http://www.wikisend.com/download/431056/CheckPrinter_PressOK_Error.pdf

Even if you don't have a paper jam, please follow the instructions.

Please keep me posted!

Thank you

Jhon Cappuccio

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for your help! I didn't get the steps to make it work, so it seems it may be a hardware issue. I appreciate you confirming that we had taken the right steps!
Thank you!

Thank you

Jhon Cappuccio