I have just has Microsoft Office Word installed on my French…

I have just has Microsoft...
I have just has Microsoft Office Word installed on my French laptop here in France. I was told it could not be loaded in English. I am finding it very hard to understand and can not even understand the tool bars. Is there a translation French to English manual on just the tool bars please.

Look forward to hearing from... Read full answer

Look forward to hearing from you

Regards

Annette James
11/22/2009
Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Information Systems Manager

I am giving you below, the link to Language Interface Packs from Microsoft for Office 2003.

http://msmvps.com/blogs/officept/archive/2008/01/16/download-lip-language-interface-pack-for-office-2003.aspx

Also, there is some great information on the LIPs at the following link. Most of it refers to Office 2007, but also applies to 2003.

http://blogs.technet.com/office_language_interface_pack/default.aspx

I'm not trying to state the obvious, but if you can get your hands on an English copy, it's the best option, but with the language packs, it's definately useable.

I did know that Microsoft Office Word 7 could be installed in English by a computer man in Holland. When I went to get the computer company here to install Microsoft Office Outlook 7 plus Windows Mail as I was advised these programmes should have been installed originally when I bought the laptop last year. The computer man here in France told me I had to have the French version - can not remember the reason- perhaps because the keyboard is French? Please note that I no longer have any other programmes than those above - everything has been cleared out including Microsoft 2003. To download another language it state on the website you sent through, the language must be originally in English and mine is in French

n

My question was where can I get a copy of the tool bars or can I revert this programme to English as originally told? I have now spent over 600 euros (excluding computer) and still not able to use correctly

Am I understanding correctly when I say that english was working fine when you had version 2003 installed, but now, with 2007(you said Word 7, but I am assuming it is2007?), it is not?

You are correct about what you found in terms of starting with a base language of English, but that was only for Windows XP and before. As of Windows Vista, the underlying structure of the OS has changed considerably, and you are no longer restricted to installing the Multi-language User Interface on an English Base Install.

A good, if not confusing, explanation by Microsoft of how this works can be found at the following link:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc721887(WS.10).aspx

My computer is Vista ¨Premium but the language link is very confusing; As a computer non techie I would have no idea how to go about the changes. The programmes are 2007

My original question was could I obtain English tool bars for Microsoft Office Word 2007, so at least I would know where I was going better.

I do understand that your operating system is Vista, and that you would like the English tool bars.

If you simply want a screenshot of the toolbars to look at as a reference, I believe I could do that for you. But if you want the toolbars in Word to actually be in English, the only option is through a Language Pack. This is a more consice summary from Microsoft.

To enable another language in the display of 2007 Microsoft Office system programs, you must have a language pack installed on your computer. Language packs enable you to change the language of the Ribbon, menus, and Help in Microsoft Office programs. Language packs also enables you to use the proofing tools, such as the spelling and grammar checker, in various languages. This article can help you if you need to do the following:

• See the Microsoft Office display, for example, the text of menus, the Ribbon, and commands, and Help in another language.
  • Set the language to check the spelling or grammar of text or get templates and fonts in another language.

To make it as simple for you as possible, the link below will take you directly to where you can obtain the English Language pack from Microsoft. All you would have to do is download the pack, install it, and then you will have two language options in Word 2007.

http://buy.trymicrosoftoffice.com/buyus/product.aspx?r=US_USD&family=langpack&culture=en-US

Please let me know if that will work for what you are trying to do.

Also, please remember to click accept. Thank you!

THE LANGUAGE PACK SEEMS A GOOD SOLUTION AND HAVE BEEN TRYING TO OBTAIN ONE BUT I FEEL AS THOUGH I AM BEING INTERROGATED ON MY PERSONAL LIFE - IS THIS NORMAL FOR MICROSOFT? IF SO WHY?

CAN I NOT JUST BUY THE LANGUAGE PACK ELSEWHERE?

I haven't been able to find it elsewhere for purchase.

They do often obtain a great deal of information for their marketing machine. Many of the questions should be optional, with only information necessary to make the purchase being required.

Michael Hannigan

Me again!! Just thought you may wish to know for any future requests that my brother has found the Learning Programme 2007 on the Amazon website and it is being sent direct to me here in France!! So no interrogation by Microsoft but just have to learn how to install!!

Many thanks for your help

Annette

If you have any questions about it, just come back and I'll try to help.

Thank you for using JustAnswer!

Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
Recently had new hard drive installed - wiped out my
recently had new hard drive installed - wiped out my Microsoft Office (gave me Open Office, I hate it)..what is the oldest Microsoft Office (that works with Windows Vista) I can get to replace Open Of… read more
PC_Wizzard
PC_Wizzard
IT Technician,
For Freddy M if available. I have a desktop Dell which works
For Freddy M if available. I have a desktop Dell which works well but my laptop has packed up, so I want a new one. I am used to using Amazon to buy such things. I mean to ask them for a 17" laptop, W… read more
Freddy M.
Freddy M.
IT Technician,
why wont my story im writing, translate from English to french
why won't my story i'm writing, translate from English to french when i ask it to.??? it tells me it is unable due to my comp not connected. Thanks Peter… read more
IT Manager,
Stop searching for answers—
Good morning. Im in despair. I had a microsoft technician
Good morning. I'm in despair. I had a microsoft technician who speaks French badly and I don't understand. I proposed him to have the talk in english, but he refused ! To have the following help : I'd… read more
ITTechChris
ITTechChris
IT Technician,
I have Microsoft Office 2007. A QUESTION ABOUT GERMAN AND
I have Microsoft Office 2007. A QUESTION ABOUT GERMAN AND ESPECIALLY RUSSIAN. I notice that in WORD 2007's Translation Screen Tips I can make a selection to get French and Spanish translatioins by hov… read more
Network & System Administrator,
Hello I would like to write e-mails in English and have it
Hello I would like to write e-mails in English and have it translated and sent in Spanish can you please help me.… read more
It Support Specialist,
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
I have installed Office 2007 language settings are English
I have installed Office 2007 language settings are English but spell check in Outlook Express are French. I run Windows XP Home. How do I fix it?… read more
Managing Director,
Oh I am lost now because one of your technicians has answered
Oh I am lost now because one of your technicians has answered to help me and I saw the conditions about the remuneration fees I am very happy to pay and then something happened...technical problem. So… read more
Computer Specialist,
I have just installed Office 2007. I used the translation app
I have just installed Office 2007. I used the translation app to translate from Eng.ish into French. To my utteer astonishment on next using Out Look Express spell checker it came up checking my Engli… read more
bineesh
bineesh
System Support Engineer,
Spell Check in Office 2007 Word shows French words. How can
Spell Check in Office 2007 Word shows French words. How can I change this to English. I have tried Tools, Options,Spelling, and the French won't change to English.… read more
Erik B.
Erik B.
Network Engineer,
HP Color LaserJet CM23220fxiMFP. I want to print cards that
HP Color LaserJet CM23220fxiMFP. I want to print cards that are long and thin, and therefore get jamed in the loading system. How can I pint them so that the cards go throgh vertically but the writing… read more
Network & System Administrator,
Sirs On the GoogleToolbar uder Toolbar Options selecting
Sirs On the GoogleToolbar uder Toolbar Options selecting a Language for immediate word translation gives an active, immediate and very helful definitions/synonyms box for words hovered over that are u… read more
IT Manager,
Stop searching for answers—
I just installed the latest drivers and software for my HP
I just installed the latest drivers and software for my HP Photosmart 2575, on Windows 7 64-bit. No problem installing, except that the application is all in French! I do live in France, but I didn't … read more
Jerry Hannell
Jerry Hannell
I have loaded Office Home and Student 2007 that I recently
I have loaded Office Home and Student 2007 that I recently purchase from Best Buy. In Outlook Express I have lost the English based dictionary. The only dictionary that appears when I try to change th… read more
IT Support/Administrator,
How can I scan a page written in French and then have it translated
How can I scan a page written in French and then have it translated to English without having to type one word at a time. I have an XP computer… read more
don thayer
don thayer
Managing Partner,
Spell checking on composed Outlook emails - Language - French
Spell checking on composed Outlook emails - Language - French (France). How can I change this to English please?… read more
Alex G
Alex G
On my desktop, outlook express 6 has the language French(France).
On my desktop, outlook express 6 has the language 'French(France)'. Dropping 'tools' then 'options' the 'spelling' and goibng to 'language' reveals 'French(France)' as the ONLY, repeat ONLY, language … read more
Qin Xia
Qin Xia
I lost the Spell-check feature in English in OUtlook ...
I lost the Spell-check feature in English in OUtlook Express 6 since I upgraded to Office 2007 Pro Plus. It now uses a French Dictionary. When I use it all my all my English words are flagged as mispe… read more
John D
John D
Bachelor Degree in Engineering