I have a Toshiba External Hard drive, red light has come on

Customer Question
and will not be recognised...
I have a Toshiba External Hard drive, red light has come on and will not be recognised by computer
codePX1223E-1G32
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Computer
10/14/2009
Tech Support Specialist: Magic C., IT/Network Engineer replied 8 years ago
Magic C.
Magic C., IT/Network Engineer
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-When is the last time that the hard drive worked correctly?
-Where are you seeing the drive as "capable" and "disabled"?
-Have you checked Device Manager to make sure the hard drive shows up there?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
1. This drive stopped working correctly a couple of days ago

2. Just after switching on the computer as the configuration text scrolls through

3 I have seven hard drives and the toshiba one is not showing in device
Thank you for the additional information.

It seems it may be a problem with the hard drive itself.

Let's try this:
1. Unplug the external hard drive's USB cable from your computer.
2. Replug the external drive to your computer with the USB cable.

Do you get any messages when you replug the hard drive up to your computer?
It may have cleared the problem

I am now desperately trying to rmove important files onto another drive

Thank you
I'm glad that my solution at least has worked for you temporarily. I agree, I would move files to another drive as soon as possible.

Let me know if you need anything else. Otherwise, have a great day!

Edited by Magic C. on 10/14/2009 at 9:32 AM EST
Magic C.
Magic C., IT/Network Engineer
Magic C.
Magic C.
Magic C., IT/Network Engineer