Hi, My computer stalls during the diagnostic part of start-up,

Customer Question
particularly at the optical drives...
particularly at the optical drives (2). When I remove the drives. it starts up in fine time.When either drive is installed separately, set as master or cs or in any combination of master and salve together, it will take 35 to 45 seconds for diagnostics to recognize. I've even installed a new hard drive and fresh windows(not because of this issue),... Read full answer
Hi, My computer stalls during the diagnostic part of start-up, particularly at the optical drives (2). When I remove the drives. it starts up in fine time.When either drive is installed separately, set as master or cs or in any combination of master and salve together, it will take 35 to 45 seconds for diagnostics to recognize. I've even installed a new hard drive and fresh windows(not because of this issue), but apparently the mob is having an issue. These are two different optical drives, than originally. Can the mob still be hung up on some part of the old drives? Drivers? How do I find them? I've looked in device manager, do't see any mention of the previous drives there. Pat
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Computer
10/11/2009
Tech Support Specialist: Larry the Geek, Computer Support Specialist replied 9 years ago
Larry the Geek
Larry the Geek, Computer Support Specialist

You can try switching the IDE or SATA cables that the drives are connected with. If that does not work most likely the port on the motherboard is bad. Another way you can test is if your hard drive uses the same type of connection your optical dives use you can plug you hard drive into the port that they were on. Once again if it ha trouble seeing the hard drive after you do that then the port on your board is bad.

Hi Larry, Tried switching the IDE cables, and it recognized the optical drives, but, when it came to recognizing the hard drives it went directly to initializing mouse and then black screen with the message "No Operating System found"
Ok great...You should be able to find out which is bad now. Read this question very carefully. Did you disconnect the cable from the motherboard and actually switch ports also or did you just disconnect the cable from the back of the hard drive and plug it into the optical drive? If you actually switched the ports the cables were plugged into on the board that means that one of your ports on your motherboard is bad.
Larry the Geek
Yes, I exchanged cables with into different ports, so the one port is bad, this has been going on for six months now, in your professional opinion Doc,how much longer does she have. Answer would be great and I accept. I was wondering if it could have been anything else, but guess not. Thanks Pat

Well actually you might be able to keep it quite a while. You can buy a IDE controller card. Basically it is installed in any open PCI slot you have and it gives you new IDE ports that you can plug your devices into. They generally will cost well under $50. You probably wont find this in a best buy because they generally dont carry a bunch of small components. If you have a Fry's electronis in your area it will be there or if there is a small mom and pops computer store they will either have it or tell you somewhere local to find it. DO NOT PRESS ACCEPT AGAIN OR IT MAY CHARGE YOU TWICE ON THIS QUESTION.

Hey, Thank You Larry, Good Bye Pat
Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
My XP desktop computer does NOT boot after I used the
My XP desktop computer does NOT boot after I used the WinsockFix Utility (downloaded from the following link: http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Network-Tweak/WinSockFix.shtml) and restarted the compu… read more
Emanuel Flores
Emanuel Flores
Associates Degree
Question for Dr. Klahn:Okay Dr. Klahn, here is where we stand.
Question for Dr. Klahn: Okay Dr. Klahn, here is where we stand. I tore down the new system and examined all installations of the mobo and the processor. As far as looks, the mobo looks fine. No obviou… read more
DrKlahn
DrKlahn
Principal Systems Engineer,
I got the following message after running a diagnostic scan
I got the following message after running a diagnostic scan on my SATA Disk_0: Timeout waiting for IRQ. 0F00: 1332. I have an XPS 420 Dell with Windows 7.… read more
Chris
Chris
Stop searching for answers—
recently my dell xps m1730 just stopped working. It wont power
recently my dell xps m1730 just stopped working. It wont power on at all. When i try to turn it on it lights up then goes off. The light on the ac adapter also goes off. I already replaced the motherb… read more
R.A. McConnell
R.A. McConnell
Owner,
I have several questions regarding the following information
I have several questions regarding the following information which are directed to both “Windows PC” and “AV Specialists”, but will start with the first Priority. From my distaste of “all things extra… read more
boxfrederick
boxfrederick
Free lance software developer,
I have a Maxtor Hard drive that was originally the main drive
I have a Maxtor Hard drive that was originally the main drive for a Compaq Presario Desktop. I now have a larger drive I'm using as the Master drive and want to use the old Maxtor as a slave. I've tri… read more
Hardware Engineer,
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
When attempting to burn data disc to Sony DVDR/RW Drive DRU-510
When attempting to burn data disc on Sony DVDR/RW Drive DRU-510 with Veritas Record Now DX, I get Disc Read error Sense:03ASC: 73ASCQ:03(command:2A). This problem just suddenly cropped up after severa… read more
DRobertson
DRobertson
Owner/Technician,
I am trying to replace a bad CD rom drive in a dell dimension
I am trying to replace a bad CD rom drive in a dell dimension 8400. When I reboot, the PC does not recognize either my old DVD or my new CD. What do I do?… read more
Santonu
Santonu
Hardware Engineer,
PGDCA
How do I get a second hard drive that is installed in a caddy
How do I get a second hard drive that is installed in a caddy that is inserted into the DVD slot of a Toshiba Tectra P4 to work? When I boot the laptop I get a "Select Bay error".… read more
Shauqat
Shauqat
CCNA
I asked this question earlier today and wa snto satisfied with
I asked this question earlier today and wa snto satisfied with the answer or the help I got so I am re4submitting it in hopes i can get a better qualified technician thanks. I had a laptop that needed… read more
J Tech
J Tech
3 years towards bs in computer sci
I just purchased a new Biostar TA790GX A3+ Motherboard and
I just purchased a new Biostar TA790GX A3+ Motherboard and it didnt come with a Bios CD to update it and download the drivers. it was used. I went to the Biostar website to download it and it gives me… read more
MrComputer2010
MrComputer2010
Replacing a failed drive with a new 80GB 720RPM 3.5 IDEFrive
Replacing a failed drive with a new 80GB 720RPM 3.5 IDEFrive WD800BB into a vpr Matrix Model 2020 Desktop computer. Need steps to follow for startup. Such as BIOS settings, F keys to use, etc. I am ge… read more
R.A. McConnell
R.A. McConnell
Owner,
Stop searching for answers—
I tried reinstalling Microsoft Vista 64 bit, and it hung up
I tried reinstalling Microsoft Vista 64 bit, and it hung up mid installation. I restarted, and now get this error message under the boot manager screen. File: \Windows\system32\config\system Status: 0… read more
Ed
Ed
Repair Shop Owner,
My optical drive will not recognize any disc unless I make
My optical drive will not recognize any disc unless I make it w/ my Windows 7 troubleshooter -and that still doesn't work 100% of the time. Can u help me w/out costing me?… read more
bineesh
bineesh
System Support Engineer,
Hello, I keep getting the 10-FA11-045D during the CRC
Hello, I keep getting the 10-FA11-045D during the CRC file creation on the second Toshiba disk. The computer keeps getting hung up here. The only advise I've seen is to replace the hard drive and/or r… read more
DRobertson
DRobertson
Owner/Technician,
I have a Maxtor Maxline Plus II (250 GB, SATA/150) that I erased
I have a Maxtor Maxline Plus II (250 GB, SATA/150) that I erased all data (Killdisk). Now it is not recognized in bios. The floppy and CD-RW (IDE2) work well. I need to format the HDD and install Win … read more
Greg G
Greg G
Director of Information Technology,
Most credits towards B.A. acquired
I am trying to updgrade from XP SP3 to Windows 7. Part way
I am trying to updgrade from XP SP3 to Windows 7. Part way through the process I get an error that says: Windows cannot be installed to this disk. Windows needs the driver for device [Primary IDE Chan… read more
Anthony Brewster
Anthony Brewster
I.T.,
XP SP3, 4G, plenty of disk space (SATA drives) also two DVD
XP SP3, 4G, plenty of disk space (SATA drives) also two DVD writers on the only two IDE ports. Machine was rebooting uncontrollably during Windows load, so ran Repair from my XP disk. Naturally, repai… read more
Justin
Justin
Software Engineer,