I am having problems connecting to AOL via my AOL9VR software…

Customer Question
I am having problems connecting...
I am having problems connecting to AOL via my AOL9VR software using a Netgear Router DG834PN. It connects to the Internet but trying to log in to AOL using the AOL9VR software it only does the first two parts "Looking for AOL via TCP/IP" and "Connecting using TCP/IP" then it hangs without asking for a pasword. It then produces an error message saying it can not find an internet connection. The Connect Option is set to "AOL" with "Automatic" Connection Type (it used to say Broadband but now says AOL). What do I do next?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Computer
10/1/2009
Tech Support Specialist: David L, Systems Engineer replied 8 years ago
David L
David L, Systems Engineer

Thank you for contacting Just Answer.

First I need more information.

When you connect to the Internet initially are you able to access any websites?

Yes I start with Google and can then access any web site I select

Ok then please try the following:

1. Close all Internet browser windows that may be open on your computer.
2. Click the Start button, select Programs or All Programs, then click Internet Explorer.
3. Click the Tools menu, then click Internet Options.
4. On the General tab, in the Browsing history section, click the Delete button.
5. In the Temporary Internet Files section, click the Delete files button to clear the cache.
6. Click the Yes button to confirm.

7. Restart IE and try AOL again.

Sadly your suggestion to delete the browsing history and temporary internet files did not solve the problem. Below are full details of my problem.

I am running 2 machines, one under Windows XP Home Edition SP3 and the other under Windows Vista Home Premium. Both have AOL 9VR. The XP machine has Norton Internet Security 2009 and the Vista machine Norton 360. I have AOL Broadband over a final BT line. I use AOL Mail.

I have two main ways of connecting over my broadband to the Internet and to AOL Mail. The old method is via my BT Voyager 190 ADSL modem and Netgear RP614 v4 router to 2 PCs. This still works and I can get directly onto the Internet and via AOL9VR software to AOL Mail. However after a short idle period the router goes to sleep (the Internet LED goes from green to yellow) and it is then very hard to wake it up again (to get the green Internet LED). Sometimes it can be woken by re-Applying the router set-up configuration but sometimes it is necessary to power down the modem and router and start them up again from scratch. QUESTION. Is there a way to stop the router going to sleep or is there a reliable way to wake it up again?

The other method over my broadband is via my new Netgear DG834PN modem/router (serial no. 1CE584BD02F73, software version 1.03.36) which is why I have bought it. On both my PCs I can reliably get directly onto the Internet but I can not connect to AOL via their AOL9VR software. It goes to the first stage “Looking for AOL via TCP/IP” and starts the second stage “Connecting using TCP/IP” but there it stops without checking password XXXXX without connecting. It gives an error message:
“Attempt 1) [AOL] The computer could not get an internet connection. (Error: 47-AC-3000 0x84100116)”
AOL broadband provide set-up software DG834_V4-0_DL.exe. This has several stages on how to wire it all up and then does tests. My system passes the first test “Checking the modem router” and after “Updating your modem router for AOL Broadband connection” it goes into a 5-step “Testing Installation” with 5 indicators (Green for pass, red for fail). The first indicator goes green (pass) but it fails on the second step with an error message:
“Testing Installation. The modem router installation check has failed. Check the Help section for advice. Test2. The modem router settings are incorrect. The problem could be that you are using a personal firewall. If so ensure you have granted access to this program. If this isn’t the case, click Exit and retry set-up. If not resolved, please click the Help button for other tips. If you think you’ve fixed the problem, click the Retry Test button”. There are Exit, Retry Test, Help and Back buttons.
This seems to say the new router has a settings problem which may be a clue as to what the AOL9VR software does not like in the router.

As back-up methods I can access the Internet and AOL Mail over the Vodafone network via a Vodafone dongle. I can also access AOL Mail via Outlook (over the broadband) and these methods stil work But I want to get to AOL Mail using AOL9VR software over my broadband connection..

I have tried several things suggested by various support people include deleting the IE8 browsing history and temporary internet files, stoping the Windows and Norton firewalls (I have actually uninstalled Norton and tried before re-installing), changing some WAN settings in the router by ticking the “Disable Port Scan and DOS protection” and reducing the MTU size. All to no avail.
I have tried to give you all the diagnostic information I have but will be happy to give more if it will help.
QUESTION. What do I try next?

Ok so as far as the old router goes the sleep mode is an error that might be resolved by a firmware update. So next please click the link below and follow the instructions to update the firmware:

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10900

Regarding the new router, it seems that the other connections that work all do not have a router/firewall between you and the Internet so it may be that the issue is AOL working behind an external firewall. So next do the following:

Click Start then All Programs, then click AOL, and then AOL Computer Check-Up.
Now enter your screen name and password XXXXX requested then in Other Support Tools select the One-click Fixes link then the Connectivity tab, and then click the Fix It For Me button, then click Continue then Done.

Thank you for thoughtfully considering my particular case and for your individual response which is a lot different from the standard checklist answers to questions which supplier support engineers categorise to match their check-list. I have had bad experience of AOL Broadband Support and Netgear Support, however I must say that Norton do a good job including remote control of customer machines (sounds dangerous but it solves problems).

For the Netgear RP614 V4 router, I have downloaded the firmware upgrade from the link you kindly supplied and have installed it which has upgraded the firmware from V0.1.8_03.17 to V1.0.8_02.2. After reinstating the configuration parameters this setup with the BT Voyager 190 ADSL Modem and Netgear RP614 V4 router still works well and I can reach the internet directly and can reach AOL via the AOL9 software. However sadly the router still tends to go to sleep at times. Thank you for your suggestion and help with the firmware upgrade. The AOL Broadband service in this part of Northumberland is not at present fully supported by their own equipment so they have to rent capacity from BT which may be part of the problem. I can live with this.

For the Netgear DG834PN router, I find that the AOL One Click Fixes for Connectivity has several flavours as listed below:

Rebuild Current Connection Location
Redetect Connection Devices
Rebuild AOL Adapter/Delete ACS Fles
Clear Internet Explorer Cache and Replace AOL Adapter
Configure Remote Access Settings
Delete ACS Database
Delete Current Connection Location
Reset IP Address
Rebuild AOL Adapter (requires a Restart)
Prevent Internet Explorer from Dialing a Connection
Repair ACS

I have run Rebuild Current Connection Location, Redetect Connection Devices, Rebuild AOL Adapter and Repair ACS (AOL Connectivity Sevice). Sadly I can still not connect to AOL via the AOL9 software. I am reluctant to try other One Click Fixes until I know what they may do but perhaps you would advise others to try.

Since the AOL9 software is able to connect to AOL via the old Modem plus Router (from both of my PCs) and via the Vodafone dongle, I think perhaps the AOL9 software may be OK and my suspicion falls on the DG834PN router itself as the element which gives the trouble. Perhaps when AOL supply this router to their users they install special firmware? If so perhaps I can get hold of a patch. I bought mine in the marketplace and not via AOL so mine is a standard unit (but I have set it up with the AOL Broadabnd software). I see on internet forums some comments on the DG834PN router firmware upgrade to V1.03.39 (mine is V1.03.36). I can not find this upgrade on the Netgear web site and perhaps it would not help. Or perhaps my router is just broken and needs replacing? Any further suggestions?

I have just looked at a friend's DG834 router supplied by AOL and the firmware version is V4.01.06. So it does look as if AOL implant their own firmware. All I may need is a download of the AOL firmware. Where can I get this?

I would agree that you should download and install the same update since the issue described sounds like a firmware defect. You can download that firmware version at the link below:

http://kb.netgear.com/app/products/model/a_id/2321

Let me know if you need assistance with the update. Also, note that you may want to backup your configuration on the router prior to performing the firmware update.

David L
David L, Systems Engineer

David L

AOL have now admitted they only support the Netgear DG834G V3 router which is he one my friend has with the firmware version 4.01.06. They would have saved us both a lot of time if they had said that at the outset of my problems. I am changing mny router from DG834PN to DG834G V3 which hopefully will sove all my problems. Many thanks for your help. I am going to press the accept button so you can close the case and get paid. Regards. Mike Thurner ([email protected])

I am glad you now have the answer that you needed. Thank you for the Accept and thank you for contacting Just Answer.