RPI Solutions
RPI Solutions, Support Specialist
Experience:  5+ Years in IT, BS in Computer Science
14124282

I cannot get my Acer laptop to work with my external speakers.

I cannot get my Acer laptop to work with my external speakers. I do not know if they are in fact compatiable but if not I don't know what kind to buy. I have been lead to believe that the problem is somewhere in my speaker profile but haven't been able to fix it yet.
Category: Computer
Expert:  RPI Solutions replied 8 years ago.

Do you have a pair of headphones you can test out? Do the internal speakers work?

Rob
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I do not have a set of headphones. My speakers are a set of harman/kardon with no model number. They came with a previous Dell computor PC and work great with my PC.
Ok so the speakers work. Do the internal speakers work on the laptop?

Rob
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Yes until I plug the external speakers in and that kills my internal speakers. Then I get no sound out of either set of speakers and I have no light on the external speakers
Ok well all speakers should be compatible with all sound cards because it's a standard connector. I would suspect that the actual outputs on your laptop's sound card are blown but it's difficult to tell 100% without you having another set of speakers or headphones to test with.

Rob
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
My volume has increased greatly from where I started with the Acer. I have tried my speakers on my daughters Dell laptop and an my granddaughters Acer with the same results. Do you think I need to get a set of head phones and if so what kind?
So they didn't work on the other laptop's ? Really weird. You do have them plugged in right? Do they still work on the regular desktop computer?

As far as headphones, that's really personal preference. Any headphones will work but I don't have any specific recommendations.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Same result on all thre computors and yes they still work on my PC.
Very strange! Never seen that one before. Guess it could be something specific to those speakers. Are they just regular 2 channel speakers?

Rob
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Yes they are just regular speakers with one jack and a volume control. One thing, a computor clerk at the local Walmart store told me that he would not want to sell me a set of speakers because they wouldn't work until I went i to the speaker profile and disable that part of the speaker system and then my speakers would work. I've done all of that stuff and disabled things bit then I can't seem to get that last step to get things working and then I have to back up and reset my speakers.

You shouldn't have to change the settings to get any sound. The only thing you need to change settings for usually is headphones because it boosts the volume so the headphones are clearer. It must be some quirk with those particular speakers...

Rob
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thanks sorry I was so long . i was on the phone. I do not think this resolves any problem Robert but thanks.
No problem. You will know for sure once you have another set of speakers or headphones.

Rob