Magic C.
Magic C., IT/Network Engineer
Experience:  13+ years PC repair and building, MCDST, A+, and Networking
17932413

what type of modem do I have

Customer Question

what type of modem do I have?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Christopher Bessler replied 7 years ago.
I will be happy to assist you, but first aI need a little more information about your problem.

What is the nature of the issue?
Are you trying to find out your type of cable modem? Or internal modem?
What kind of hardware are you using?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have a Linux setup with os Ubuntu 9.04 which I installed three months ago. I have been unable to get onto the internet. I have another computer with Windows Xp on and I can get the internet quite easily. With this setup I can get on the internet with a cable but I need to get on with wireless. I have a TalkTalk modem which is an 'EchoLife HG520b. I have tried accessing the soft ware listed as ndiswrapper, ndiswrapper-utils-1.9, and another ndis software. Any more and I will gladly help.
Regards
Expert:  Magic C. replied 7 years ago.
HelloCustomer I think what Christopher is getting at is this:

-What brand and model of computer you have?
-Is this a desktop or laptop computer?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It is a desk topcomputer . It was origonally a Hewlet Packard but I upgraded the mother board. But I do not see what this has to do with loading the software.
Expert:  Magic C. replied 7 years ago.
I'm going to let you continue with Christopher since he was the first expert to contact you regaring your issue.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
If you wish I did not mean to rude to you but I can't see what type of computer it is helps?
Expert:  replied 7 years ago.
Yes, it does help a lot. Thanks for asking. From what I know about desktop computers is that most of them are not wireless-capable and usually require a wireless device to be added to them.

For instance, I have a desktop that has wireless, but I installed a Wireless PCI Adapter like these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2050410031%201133510032%201133010139&bop=And&ActiveSearchResult=True&Order=PRICE

I would check to make sure that the card you purchase has Linux/Ubuntu drivers available.
Magic C., IT/Network Engineer
Experience: 13+ years PC repair and building, MCDST, A+, and Networking
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Ubuntu say that you do not need to purchase any other card as the drivers are available on the internet. I have not been able to download them onto this computer nor have I found all of them. I do not know how to access them. I would appreciate knowing how they can be obtained. I want to know how I can find them and download them.
Regards
Expert:  Magic C. replied 7 years ago.
Yes, you are correct, drivers are available on the Internet. However, if you don't have the device to install the drivers for, drivers themselves are of no use because they don't have a device that needs the drivers.

Since you are able to connect with a cable, that is an Ethernet adapter that is enabling you to do so, in which the Ethernet port/adapter requires drivers in order to function. The same is true for wireless adapters. You need both in order to connect wirelessly.

Do you know if your motherboard has wireless capability built-in?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The answer is 'no' I don't know, but I cannot access the drivers on the net. If I knew how to get at them all would be well. Never mind I will try something else to try and find them.
Cheers
Expert:  Magic C. replied 7 years ago.
I will want to help you. Take a look at your motherboard inside your case. There should be a brand name and model number on it somewhere.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
There are two numbers on the mother-board, they are :-
MS-6340 VER : 5
v N1996
There is a rectangle with FC and small writing which I can't read.
I don't know if that is what you want but those are the numbers.

Expert:  replied 7 years ago.
That is great information!! That's exactly what I was looking for!!

Your motherboard is located here:

http://www.msi.com/index.php?func=proddesc&maincat_no=1&cat2_no=&cat3_no=&prod_no=284

According to the specifications, the motherboard does not have wireless capability. You will need to purchase a Wireless PCI adapter.
Magic C., IT/Network Engineer
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks you have been a great help.
Expert:  Magic C. replied 7 years ago.
You're very welcome. Definitely take a look at the wireless PCI adapters at NewEgg.com to see if they fit your needs.