Hi, When I turn on my computer it keeps going back to the

Hi, When I turn on my...

When I turn on my computer it keeps going back to the start windows normally.

Thank you,

Kathleen
9/3/2009
Carl Poersch
Carl Poersch, Computer Network Engineer

are you running XP or Vista?

are you saying that the computer is always running in safe mode and you want to get it out of it back to normal mode?

for XP

Windows XP

If Windows XP is the only operating system installed on your computer, booting into Safe Mode with these instructions.

If the computer is running, shut down Windows, and then turn off the power
Wait 30 seconds, and then turn the computer on.

Start tapping the F8 key. The Windows Advanced Options Menu appears.

(If you begin tapping the F8 key too soon, some computers display a "keyboard error" message. To resolve this, restart the computer and try again.)

out of the advanced options choices, select START WINDOWS NORMALLY

let me know if that does the trick

Thanks

Carl
the windows xp screen comes up and then keeps reverting back to the advanced options screen
Do you see a quick message flash before it reverts?

or do you see something loading prior to it reverting.

its important for me to know EXACTLY what happens right before it reverts....

Hi Carl,

When I turn on the computer the option window comes right up. I select start windows normally. the Windows xp screen comes up the bar underneath the logo indicates that the system is trying to load. After a couple of minutes a VA10 screen appears followed by the Pentium D screen. It then goes back to the advanced options screen and the Windows xp screen comes up and the whole process begins all over again.

Thanks,
Kathleen

well it sounds like its crashing any time you try to run in regular mode.

Start it in safe mode, then run system restore

System restore process restores your computer to a previous date.. So if you didnt have this problem few days ago this should solve the problem.. System restore can be undone if needed. Its advisable to first backup the files.

To restore the system to a previous date follow these steps.
For XP: Go to START then ALL PROGRAMS then ACCESSORIES then SYSTEM TOOLS then SYSTEM RESTORE then restore my computer to an earlier date.

let me know...
Hi Carl,

I ran it in safe mode and it came back to the advanced option screen. I then ran last good configuration from the advanced option screen and it still came back to the advanced option screen. Sorry

Thanks,
Kathleen
Try safe mode command prompt from the advanced menu. If that doesnt work

then try Enable Boot Logging choice. it will probably get stuck at a certain point and it will display that file name.

let me know what that file name is?

What do you have in the way of discs that came with the PC. do you have restore disks and/or an XP CD?

are you running a sony vaio? what model?
Hi Carl,

May I get back to you tomorrow?

Thank you again,

Kathleen
Sure, no problem.

I am online usually 1pm-4am eastern us time.

just reply when you have new info/questions. you dont need to reply to this message...
Hi Carl,

I ran safe mode and it paused at file driver\mups.sys.

I am running a sony vaio and the model is VGC-RA840G.

I also run boot disks and on the 3rd disk the system responded with missing file NTKRNLMP. I looked on the 2nd disk and the file was there. I have a system disk and it is not working either.

Thanks,
Kathleen
Hi Kathleen,

In my experience, a hang on Mups.sys is usually some hardware failure.

If your boot disks are failing, the hard drive is likely going bad. Go into setup (f2 or f2 ?) and navigate to disks and see what your hard disk is. look up that model then google it and identify it. Then download the hard disk check CD from seagate or western digital or whoever. make sure your disk is ok.

If not replace it.

if the disk is OK, then your motherboard is probably bad.

wish i had better news...

but you just got detailed advice from many years experience with laptops....

Thanks and have a good weekend anyway. Ill be offline shortly

Carl
Carl Poersch
Carl Poersch, Computer Network Engineer
Carl Poersch
Carl Poersch
Carl Poersch, Computer Network Engineer