Christopher Bessler
Christopher Bessler, Director of Computer Engineering
Experience:  24 years troubleshooting PC/Server/Printer and network
21913621

The power button on my Gateway model W350A is broken and I

The power button on my Gateway model W350A is broken and I can't start my laptop.
Category: Computer
Expert:  replied 7 years ago.
Unfortunately it is not a simple repair.

If you feel confident that you would be able to handle the hardware replacement on your own, you should be able to order the correct parts, (http://www.priorityelectronics.com/gateway.htm) but it may entail ordering an entire keyboard kit. This is typically the only thing that will ship the new covers pieces you need.

You would likely have much more luck contacting Gateway and sending the laptop in. The details on how to do this are found here:

http://support.gateway.com/s/faq/c-custserv/cserv67.shtml

If all you are looking to do is recover the data on the laptop, there is a procedure for that, but it is risky. It involves purchasing a laptop hard drive to IDE controller converter, setting that laptop drive up as a slave to another PC running IDE drives, and then copying the data. To do this you have to pull the laptop hard drive and run it outside of a computer case.

It is a risky procedure, as you may lose everything on the drive. My advice would be to send it in.

__________________________________________________________________
Thank you for your question. If my answer helped at all, please accept. Positive feedback is also greatly appreciated!