I have an Alert! System Battery Voltage is low. Please I

Customer Question
I have an "Alert! System...
I have an "Alert! System Battery Voltage is low." Please I need help to run set-up utility.

I have Dell Dimension 8300 with XP.

Thank you, Jean
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Computer
8/20/2009
Tech Support Specialist: Ryan B., Support Specialist replied 8 years ago
Ryan B.
Ryan B., Support Specialist
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer~!~Smile

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I would like to assist you with your question today. This error normally happens as your computer is booting up and means that your CMOS battery is going to need to be replaced. The CMOS battery they are talking about, looks like the following image. You will need to take your computer into a pc repair shop to have this replaced, unless you feel confortable doing this your-self, then I can attempt to walk you through it finding out what kind of cmos battery you have and then taking out and replacing the old one. Let me know what you want to do?
Ryan B.
Ryan B., Support Specialist

Thanks, Ryan. Can you give me an unguaranteed estimate of how long before this battery is depleted and if it would shut down my computer before saving unsaved items? I have gotten the systems battery alert 3 times during the last 5 times I turned on computer.

Thank you for identifying my problem. (I don't know how the F2 help expected me to decipher that from its info!) Now, please can you tell me how to identify the battery so I can get a replacement? How difficult would it be for you to walk me through replacing it?

I am extremely inept with anything computer so I hope to wait until my technician can come onsite, after her back surgery heals. Do you recommend I wait for onsite help? Should it be asap?

I am very grateful for your patience & assistance. Customer/p>

Thank you for the quick reply. This is not something that when it dies you are going to lose all data, it's not like your hard drive crashing. When this starts to really go your time and date on your computer will start being incorrect and a few more CMOS errors may popup, I think you have sometime though. To see what kind you need please follow the directions to open the case and It is a button type battery, so you should just be able tolook at the number on it and buy a replacement with the same number, OR you can call Dell to ask them what is a compatible battery. I believe I read on a forum that someone used a 3-V CR2032 lithium coin cell CMOS battery on there Dimension 8300..

To replace the battery please do the following:

Source: http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim8300/sm/battery.htm

Dell™ Dimension™ 8300 Series Service Manual

CAUTION: Before you begin any of the procedures in this section, follow the safety instructions in your Owner's Manual.

A coin-cell battery maintains computer configuration, date, and time information. The battery can last several years.

If you have to repeatedly reset time and date information after turning on the computer, replace the battery.

CAUTION: A new battery can explode if it is incorrectly installed. Replace the battery only with the same or equivalent type recommended by the manufacturer. Discard used batteries according to the manufacturer's instructions.

To replace the battery:

1. Record all the screens in the system setup program(click the link to the left to see how to do this) so that you can restore the correct settings in step 12.

2. Shut down the computer through the Start menu.

3. Ensure that your computer and attached devices are turned off. If your computer and attached devices did not automatically turn off when you shut down your computer, turn them off now.

NOTICE: To disconnect a network cable, first unplug the cable from your computer, and then unplug it from the network wall jack.
  1. Turn off any attached devices and disconnect them from their electrical outlets.

2. Disconnect the computer power cable from the wall outlet, and then press the power button to ground the system board.

CAUTION: To guard against electrical shock, always unplug your computer from the electrical outlet before opening the cover.
  1. Open the computer cover( click the link at the left for instructions on how to do this).

NOTICE: Before touching anything inside your computer, ground yourself by touching an unpainted metal surface, such as the metal at the back of the computer. While you work, periodically touch an unpainted metal surface to dissipate any static electricity that could harm internal components.
  1. Locate the battery socket on the system board.

NOTICE: If you pry the battery out of its socket with a blunt object, be careful not to touch the system board with the object. Ensure that the object is inserted between the battery and the socket before you attempt to pry out the battery. Otherwise, you may damage the system board by prying off the socket or by breaking circuit traces on the system board.
  1. Remove the battery by carefully looking at the battery housing very closely. On one side, you'll see a metal clip. This clip is spring loaded.

2. Using a very small tool (and a magnifying glass), gently push the metal clip away from the battery. The old battery will pop loose.

2. Insert the new battery into the socket with the side labeled "+" facing up, and snap the battery into place.

1. Close the computer cover.

NOTICE: To connect a network cable, first plug the cable into the network wall jack and then plug it into the computer.
  1. Connect your computer and devices to electrical outlets, and turn them on.

2. Enter the system setup program and restore the settings you recorded in setp 1.

3. Properly dispose of the old battery.
Hope this helps, Good Luck~!~Smile

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX

I will not attempt this battery replacement myself but I am most grateful for your answers & explanations so that I may understand my situation. That is valuable information form that I have wasted hours earlier on dell.com with no satisfaction of any degree! Mission accomplished.

Thank you,Customer/p>

Your very welcome, glad I could be of assistance.

If you need more assistance in the future please let me know.

Have a wonderful Day
Ryan B.
Ryan B.
Ryan B., Support Specialist