Help, I cannot connect to Google (gmail or igoogle log in) I

Customer Question
Help, I cannot connect to...
Help, I cannot connect to Google (gmail or igoogle log in)

I am running Windows Vista 64 bit and use Firefox as my browser. I use a LinkSys Wireless Router and HughesNet Satellite modem for service.

I have checked all Modem and router cables and unplugged/plugged them back in to reboot.
I can browse other websites
I have checked all Internet sOptions security settings and actually reset to original settings since I changed too many to keep track of in troubleshooting.
I disabled Windows Firewall. I run Webroot Spyware/Antivirus software.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Computer
Igoogle will load with google search bar and login option.
When I try to login to iGoogle or to Gmail, I get the following:

Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at www.google.com.
Though the site seems valid, the browser was unable to establish a connection.

* Could the site be temporarily unavailable? Try again later.
* Are you unable to browse other sites? Check the computer's network connection.
* Is your computer or network protected by a firewall or proxy? Incorrect settings can interfere with Web browsing.
7/30/2009
Tech Support Specialist: David L, Systems Engineer replied 8 years ago
David L
David L, Systems Engineer

Thank you for contacting Just Answer.

Next, try opening Internet Explorer and try connecting to iGoogle. If that works let me know so we can focus on troubleshooting Firefox.

Internet Explorer has the same problem but the error message is a little different:

"www.google.com is not set up to establish a connection on port https with this computer"
I have two other computers that are having the same problem. both are laptops. If I remember my ports right, isnot this port 80? I did put a couple of google addresses into the trusted sites lists at one point before I restored settings on Windows firewall.

http uses port 80 while https uses port 443. It sounds like it is trying to connect on port 443. Check the address on the top of your web browser and look to see if it is using https instead of http.

OK, While I was waiting, I wnet in the basement and powered off/on both the LinkSys and the HighesNet modem again.

So, I tried http://www.google.com/ig?hl=en (worked and loaded basic serach site)

Then, clicked on GMail
https ://www.google.com/accounts/ServiceLogin?service=mail&passive=true&rm=false&continue=http%3A%2F%2Fmail.google.com%2Fmail%2F%3Fhl%3Den%26tab%3Dwm%26ui%3Dhtml%26zy%3Dl&bsv=zpwhtygjntrz&scc=1&ltmpl=default&ltmplcache=2&hl=en

Got login screen so I logged in

http://mail.google.com/mail/?hl=en&shva=1

worked!!!

Looks like maybe it was just the reset. Regardless, How can I from an administrator perspective access Port 80 and Port 443 settings using Vista 64-bit for future reference?

That's great! Glad you were able to get it to work :)

As for your question about port 80 and port 443, they are each assigned to a specific protocol (http or https which is http using SSL to encrypt the session). On Vista the areas you need to be aware of that may affect your ability to connect to either of these would be the firewall, your antivirus software, your browser, and other applications that may use either of these protocols.

In Internet Explorer go to Tools, Internet Options, Advanced and then scroll down to the bottom of the list of settings and you will see a number of settings that affect the protocols being used for port 443. Also in the list are settings for http but mostly related to error settings. Proxy settings, located at Tools, Internet Options, Connections, LAN Settings, should be set to Automatic unless there is a proxy on the network. Configured incorrectly, this setting is one of the main reasons connections to ports 80 and 443 fail.

In Firefox, you can find settings similar to IE for port 443 in Tools, Options, Advanced, Encryption. In Tools, Options, Advanced, Network, Settings you will find the proxy settings that affect both port 80 and 443. If you have a proxy then usually it is configured to handle ports 80, 443 and applications using those ports. This setting is many times the cause of inability to connect to the Internet if it configured for a proxy when there is no proxy on the network. In most cases it should be set for No Proxy.

In the Windows firewall, on the exceptions tab, you may have to add exceptions for programs that use port 80 or 443 because many applications (especially Internet games and some financial software) connnect on ports 80 or 443 and then establish a session on a different port. So in these situations you need to enter an exception for that application and include the port 80 or 443 along with the range of ports used by the application for establishing a session in order to ensure that the application's incoming session requests are not blocked by the firewall.

Many antivirus programs now have firewalls in which the above procedure applies and exceptions need to be entered in order to allow traffic through even though the initial session is started on port 80 or 443. These antivirus programs will also scan the content of the connection and provide warnings if the site is found to have malware or is known for malicious activities. If this feature produces too many popup warnings or prevents you from accessing certain sites it may have to be disabled.

Let me know if you have questions about the above.

David L
David L
David L, Systems Engineer