Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
16465236

My HP monitor (w22 flatscreen) keeps "going to sleep" when

My HP monitor (w22 flatscreen) keeps "going to sleep" when I turn on my computer. it was running just fine this morning and now it won't seem to turn on.
Hello !!

Disconnect the data cable from the CPU cabinet that goes to the monitor. But let power cable still powet the monitor.

What do you see on the screen

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I get a message in white with red,green, and a blue box below it saying: Check Video cable. after a minute or two it says: Monitor Going to Sleep

The monitor light turns orange and i can not bring anything up on it.

Hello !!

So that is the problem.

Your motherboard is not able to send any data to the monitor and so Monitor goes to sleep.

If your motherboard has a graphics card, either its loose or gone bad. If it has integrated graphics, than your motherboard needs repair.

But, first you should try to replace the data cable that connects CPU to monitor. Also try connecting this monitor to some other computer and see if it works there, to confirm our doubt.

Feel free to ask any question or concern you may have. I will be glad to help you.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Be assured that I will continue to help even after you click Accept.

Please ask me any question you have before leaving a Negative Feedback. I will be glad to help you solve all your problems.

Positive Feedback and BONUS is always appreciated.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I tried hooking up the monitor to my work laptop (this is how I am able to answer you) and it immediately went to sleep. ould this indicate the problem lies with the monitor or cable and not the motherboard or video card?

I know I can reset my video card drives to factory settings but how can I do that without the use of a monitor?

Apologies for the delay in replying, I only now thought to check email and was waiting on the webpage to show a reply.

Hello !!

Then, yes the cord can be the issue. Also in worst case the main board of monitor which accepts the data from CPU can be malfunctioning.

You are on the right track. So just try to replace the cord first.

If that doesnt work, dont even think of repairing the monitor as it will cost you much much more than buying a new one.

Also, please plug in some other monitor to your computer to confirm that its working fine.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I got the monitor to work on my work laptop, I just failed to set to extended desktop is all. I am sure your original diagnosis is the correct one. Given how the computer is 4 years old I will probably just end up replacing it instead of a new card or motherboard (given how I do not know which it is). I did try rebooting my home computer (the one with the monitor issue) and the Start Up repair just finished. The only thing that was not competed successfully under "Diagnosis and repair details" was:

repair action: System files integrity check and repair

result: Failed. Error Code = 0x2

Time taken = 647529ms

Would this confirm what you sent before?

Also, can I change the amount to pay if I wish? (in your favor heh)

Hello !!

It is possible that the cord has a crack or is loose. Thats the reason it went to sleep on office computer and worked on laptop. I mean we should not rule out this possibility.

To confirm this, please get a monitor from a friend and plug in to the computer and if it works, we are sure that monitor has issue.

result: Failed. Error Code = 0x2

Time taken = 647529ms

This shows that your Windows system files are corrupt. But that doesnt point to our problem as of now.

After you will accept my answer, you will get an option to gift me a Bonus. That time you can gift any amount you want :-)

If my answer helped you, please click on the ACCEPT button so that I get paid for my work.