Am trying to lay a transparent (white) gif logo onto a colored…

Customer Question
Am trying to lay a...
Am trying to lay a transparent (white) gif logo onto a colored (Red) jpg banner but I can't get it to be transparent. Any suggestions?
Lee... Read full answer
Lee
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Computer
7/21/2009
Tech Support Specialist: David L, Systems Engineer replied 9 years ago
David L
David L, Systems Engineer

Thank you for contacting Just Answer.

Depending upon the software you are using to create the logo, you could do a couple of things:

1. After placing the logo onto the banner, right click the logo and select the menu item to edit the logo - usually one of the editing tools in the menu that appears includes a level of transparency option.

2. Again right click on the logo and select properties and then change the logo to have "watermark" properties (which are transparent).

If you need more specifics please provide the name and version of your editing software.

I am using MS photo editor. When I attempt to set the transparent color after pasting the logo on to the jpg banner it will not let me change the transparent color which is coming up as black.

Ok, I think I know what is happening. MS Photo Editor will not make a jpg image transparent, only gif, tiff and png. So first you need to open the image separately and save it as a png for example and then use the png to create the transparent logo and save what you have now created as a png.

You can use the procedure below and gif, tiff or png for transparency:

1. On the Standard toolbar, click Set Transparent Color .
2. Position the tool over the color you want to make transparent, and click.
The Change Color to Transparent dialog box appears.
3. The preview window shows the color that will change to transparent when you click OK. You can modify the options to increase the range of colors that will become transparent or to change the degree of transparency.

Ok now I've tried laying a gif logo on a gif banner and I have the same problem. It won't change the background on the logo to the color selected. It just stays black.
Lee

Ok so just to confirm how you are doing this...after the logo is placed on the banner you click the blue pen icon on the toolbar and then use your mouse cursor which is now the transparency tool to touch the area to be made transparent. Once you do this a window should appear that allows you to select the color to be made transparent and the level of transparency - select the color and the level and click Ok to view it.

Still unable to make this work.
Ok, then next try changing the brightness of the image and then try the transparency procedure again - because brightness is the amount of white in the picture and this one is white it may be that toning down the brightness will resolve the issue.
Sorry, same problem. When I accept the background color the transparent logo that is laid on top still maintains a black background. The back ground color is red. No white involved.
Try increasing the number of colors that become transparent and let me know if that works.
Sorry David, still does not work. Is there a way I can send you the two graphics files?
Lee
Yes please do. Once you save the graphic files click the tree icon on the Just Answer toolbar and then browse for the files and then click Ok then Insert to add them here so I can review.
Call me crazy but I can't find a Tree Icon anywhere on the site.
Lee
That's ok, it really small. In the text box where you type responses there is a small toolbar just above the text box. There is a green and blue icon beside the YouTube icon - the green and blue icon is the tree icon I mentioned earlier.
Sorry, but there is no tool bar or any icons above the reply text box on my screen.
Lee

On the upper left corner of the text box there is a small link that says "Show Toolbar" - click on that and you will be able to access the toolbar.

Here's a link so that you can see what I'm looking at.

http://www.justanswer.com/questions/2boxy-trying-lay-transparent-white-gif?L=T

Lee
Please resend the link...for some reason it redirects back to this question.

Ok, then it makes sense to me that the background would turn black because when the red is transparent all that is left is black. Maybe adjust the left of transparency and that might give you what you want.

Just to clarify - you want the sunset background to appear more like a watermark correct?

I simply want white letters on the red background. The gif file is supposed to be white letters with a transparent background. When I lay it on the red jpg file I get a black box with the white reversed.
Lee
And the same thing happens when you save the sunset image as a gif and then place the logo on the sunset background correct?
Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
What type of image file(JPEG, TIFF, etc...) eliminates
What type of image file(JPEG, TIFF, etc...) eliminates background colors? In other words, I would like to use a blank company logo over different color backgrounds. Thanks!… read more
Computer Technology Consultant,
How can I convert a jpeg file with a white background to a
How can I convert a jpeg file with a white background to a color background without the white? Tiff file?… read more
J Paul Richardson
J Paul Richardson
I am using corel draw 12 and corel photo paint 12... when i
I am using corel draw 12 and corel photo paint 12... when i open a logo I have remove the background in photo paint. then i import it into my corel draw graphic with a black background... i ungroup th… read more
Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan
Bachelor's Program
Stop searching for answers—
Fornt Page 2002. I want to insert a .jpg that has a white background
Fornt Page 2002. I want to insert a .jpg that has a white background and I want to change the background to the Theme background color - so it blends with the theme. Can I do this?… read more
Programming Tutor
Programming Tutor
Free lancer,
I am trying to put a logo image into a page which has a coloured
I am trying to put a logo image into a page which has a coloured I am trying to put a logo image into a page which has a coloured background but I dont want the 'white' around the image - how can I ma… read more
NJPCExpert
NJPCExpert
Hi. I am trying to prepare photos for use in PowerPoint presentations
Hi. I am trying to prepare photos for use in PowerPoint presentations and I need to know how to delete the background froma phot and leave it transparent rather than have white around the image i need… read more
Jennifer
Jennifer
C.E.O.,
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
I have PSP X2. what I am trying to do is for a school yearbook,
I have PSP X2. what I am trying to do is for a school yearbook, I have digital pictures of helmets, balls, etc. #1 I want to eliminate the background in these photos, I understand this concept. #2 sav… read more
NY Programmer
NY Programmer
Control Systems Engineer,
I created a round logo in Illustrator and when saving for web
I created a round logo in Illustrator and when saving for web and the background turns white. How do I keep the background transparent when I create the jpg?… read more
Jeff Micono
Jeff Micono
In Photoshop CS3, I wish to take a logo or an object and remove
In Photoshop CS3, I wish to take a logo or an object and remove the surrounding background areas, usually white, and cut or copy that image and save it to my hard drive to use it later in Word documen… read more
Networking101
Networking101
Network/Security Administrator,
I have been copying images, but when I bring them into my powerpoint,
I have been copying images, but when I bring them into my powerpoint, it brings a white background with the image. I have a color background. I want it to look like the object is part of the picture. … read more
Karl Everest King
Karl Everest King
Web Designer, Programmer,
I am trying to get a transparent background on some calligraphy
I am trying to get a transparent background on some calligraphy sent to me so I can place it on an art cover. I can't remember how to do it.… read more
brainbox nc
brainbox nc
I have adobe CS2. I have a photo of my husband and I want to
I have adobe CS2. I have a photo of my husband and I want to cut his face out of the photo and save just the face image without a backround. Then I will take this face image and copy it into another p… read more
w.olson
w.olson
Systems Administrator,
Stop searching for answers—
I have a .jpg logo that has been placed on a white background.
I have a .jpg logo that has been placed on a white background. I want to place it over another image without the white background. When I set the backgrouond to transparent, the logo looks jagged arou… read more
w.olson
w.olson
Systems Administrator,
when i crop my photo using a photoshop program, so that the
when i crop my photo using a photoshop program, so that the crop is a circle part of the photo. i add it to my adobe illustrator work that i am doing and the circle photo is surrounded by a white box?… read more
adski
adski
11x GCSE, 3x A-Level
I have scanned a signature into photoshop Cs2 and would ...
I have scanned a signature into photoshop Cs2 and would like to make the background transparent for use in other applications. How do I do this?… read more
John D
John D
Bachelor Degree in Engineering
I have designed a logotype in Adobe Illustrator that my ...
I have designed a logotype in Adobe Illustrator that my client is importing into a Windows Powerpoint presentation that has a pale blue background. The logotype, which should not have any colour in th… read more
JC Dill
JC Dill
Professional Photographer, IT Consultant,
I have several pictures I am entering into a contest ...
I have several pictures I am entering into a contest (jpegs). How can I make a file to add a copy of my signature on each picture?… read more
Flagbridge-IT
Flagbridge-IT
Principal Consultant,
B.Kin, B.C.L, C. Neg, C. Med, C. A
I am trying to create my own desktop calendars on ...
I am trying to create my own desktop calendars on computer. What type of computer software do I need? I want to put transparent calendar grids on top of photos. There are examples on www.TeaseUm.com. … read more
Gary
Gary
Bachelor Degree