Ryan H., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  A+ Certified Technician - 10 Years experience working with all types of computer systems.
20388524

My screen dims when I plug this laptop into the wall. It brightens

My screen dims when I plug this laptop into the wall. It brighten's satisfactorily only on battery power. How can I change that so it is properly bright all the time? Using on battery and on bright is not a problem.
Are you saying that when you try to connect to the power line directly for charging the battery screen get dimmed and when you remove the power supply and when the laptop is compleatly working on the battery the screen displays everything in bright??
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
That's right. Seems to me it should be just the opposite to save batt. power. I use it mostly powered by the wall. When everything is normal except the screen. When plugged to wall power it dims. If I pull out the wall power and it's running on batt. Bright. Plug in, dim. This happens 100% of the time. It charges the batt. fine & runs fine off the batt. or wall. Only diff. is the screen. This should not happen, very frustrating. This laptop has never been mistreated by dropping or any other harsh conditions. Speed is acceptable w/ either power source, there is no other diff. but screen.

HP Pavillion dv 1000.

Thank you Bachi, Chris
Even I am using hp pavilion . Normally in all laptops when we connect the power line screen gets brighten, but in your case the reverse is happening, thats a bit strange !!!

In most of the HP laptops most of the problems are created by thw BATTERY.
The battery may be discharging faster and it may be providing more power than expected from that. Remove the battery and keep it aside for some time, Directly connect the power line and see the brightness.

After some times put your battery back in the laptop while the power line is connected. Still if you strugle to solve the problem it will be better to change the battery.

If my time was useful press ACCEPT and leave a POSITIVE feedback,
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Hi Bachi, thank you for your help. I did as you suggested and pulled the battery. That left the wall power. Still dim. I put aside that batt. and put in another battery that's fully charged. Same result. I pull the power cord from the back, that's hooked to the wall, screen brightens up to the proper brightness & dims when I put the wall power source back in. No headway. I can't see both HP batteries being bad = causing this problem. My screen on wall power is not right, too dim.
I hope you're having a nice evening,
Chris
In control panel Check "Power options"

Power schemes make sure its "Max battery".
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
There is no "max battery" in power schemes anywhere.
Chris
You are using Windows Xp right?
Then normally that option should be there.

Tell me what are the other options available in Power scheme?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thanks for being so patient.
Here's how I'm getting there.

Start, control panel, performance-maint., power options,
power schemes. 2 options
home/office Desk or Portable/Laptop
then below, two buttons
save as or delete

don't loose any sleep b/c of me. I'm just up watching a James Bond flick, Dr No. Sean Connery
Chris
Thank you for concerning about me this much.
Its my duty to serve you. So sleeping is ok.

Did you try to change the current option to the other?

Look at your power management options in windows control panel - there should be a tab or an area for how the machine behaves when the power lead is in or out.

It is possible that yours has become set to dim the display when on mains power.

try these links also::

http://www.computing.net/answers/hardware/my-laptop-screen-dims-wunplugged/38514.html

http://www.asklaptopfreak.com/laptop-notebook-help/2008/04/20/screen-very-dim-using-battery-power/
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
from Bachi

Chris: yes
Chris: there is no power management options in Windows control panel, also nothing about main power lead in or out.

Chris: there is no place I can find that gives me that option to change anything. Believe me, I have looked all through these things. I'm not given any option that I can find to solve the problem before I contacted JustAnswers.
Try to start your system in SAFE MODE

If my time was useful press ACCEPT and leave a POSITIVE feedback.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I restarted system in safe mode. No difference at all. Plugged into wall, dim. Unplug and run on battery, perfect - bright.
Then its sound to be a Hardwarte error . Better to contact a local computer person or if you are in warranty period go for a service.
We did whatever we can do both sofrwarelevel and hardware level.

IIf my time was useful press ACCEPT and leave a POSITIVE feedback.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I can switch the wall power off with my power strip and the same thing happens. It is not a hardware problem. It's a software setting that can't be found. My only option is that you pass this problem on to other folks @ JustAnswer and ask for assistance. I did everything you suggested and as of now. Nothing is repaired, I still have the same problem as when I asked for help. My whold goal was to not have to take this unit in for expensive repair.

I have seen this problem before a few times, it is pretty rare.

Generally speaking, the HP laptops will store 2 brightness settings. 1 for when you have AC plugged in, and 1 for when you are on battery. Brightness is usually controlled via Fn+F7 or F8 keys, and the machine should remember each setting separately.

So I would like you to try this:

With the laptop plugged into the wall outlet, use FN(Function key) + F7 or F8 to achieve the brightness that you would prefer when plugged into the wall.

Then,

Unplug the laptop so it is running on Battery only, use FN(Function key) + F7 or F8 to achieve the brightness you would prefer when running on battery alone.

This should fix your problem.

Please let me know. Thanks!
Ryan H., Computer Support Specialist
Experience: A+ Certified Technician - 10 Years experience working with all types of computer systems.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Hi ryanh, you've just solved the problem. I knew there was a setting I missed. Thanks very much, I am pressing Accept. XXXXX XXXXX
Garland, Texas
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
It took Bachi 3 days and still no fix to the problem. ryanh took the pressing of 2 buttons on my laptop keyboard and end of problem.

Chris
Your very welcome, I'm glad that solved your problem. It is a very rare issue that is hard to find documentation on to be honest. Have a great day!