My lenovo Y510 laptop battery is not charging. What do I do?

thanks, Jo...
My lenovo Y510 laptop battery is not charging. What do I do? thanks, Jo
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/29/2009
Andy, Computer Consultant
Hello !!

When did you buy this laptop.

Is the original battery not charing or did you buy another battery which is not charging

Do you use XP or Vista

Hi Andy,

I just looked and saw that I purchased this laptop in March of 2008. It was refurbished and as far as I know it is the original battery.

I'm running Windows XP. Could the battery just be done? I powered off the laptop and removed, then re-set the battery into the back.

Still it is not charging.

thanks,

Jo

Hi Jo !!

On the right bottom of desktop, do you see a X on the battery icon ?
Or does it show empty or half full or something else.

Is the battery LED on laptop continuosly blinking in amber or green color (which one). Or is it solid

Hi Andy,

Well, the battery icon on the bottom right shows 0% battery life left, and that it is charging.

Of the four battery symbol lights below the monitor, only one is lit, (normally it would be two or more by now)

and the tiny light on the bottom left of the keyboard is glowing aleranately between pink and orange/red.

got me - this is getting weird!

thanks,

jo

Hi Jo,

Thank you for the information. Please press CTRL+D to save this page as Favorite/Bookmark so that you can reach me after restarting computer.

Please do the following carefully:
1. Shutdown and Unplug your laptop.
2. Remove the battery from the laptop.
3. Wait 2-3 minutes
4. Now press ON (power button on laptop) for 1 minute
5. Then release the finger and wait one more minute.
6. Now insert the battery and then plug in the power cable and press ON button.
7. Windows should load now

Let me know how it goes. Do you see any change in LEDs on/blinking. Does the battery charge now.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please ask me any question you have before leaving a Negative Feedback. I will be glad to help you solve all your problems.

Positive Feedback and BONUS is always appreciated.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Andy,

Sorry for taking so long to respond. I had a meeting and then came back to follow your instructions. I did it wrong to start with, so I waited a bit and went through the whole process following your instructions.

The laptop does boot into Windows. It sounded like you thought maybe I wasn't able to boot up - but that is working fine.

I just have no battery power.

I almost wonder if the power cord isn't working.

Any other ideas?

thanks,

jo

Hi Jo !!

I know that Windows is working fine and only battery charging is having issues.

I wanted ot rule out the possibility of a charge lock up on motherboard or battery. But that doesnt look the case.

Now there are three possiblities :
1. The battery has gone dead. (high probability)
2. The motherboard's circuit responsible for charging the battery has gone bad.
3. The sensor on motherboard that detects the charge in battery is malfunctioning.

You can rule out possiblity 3 by doing this :
1. If you keep laptop plugged in with power and battery inserted for an hour. Then remove the power plug, than if laptop doesnt shut down in few minutes then case 3 is true. If it does shut down then 1 or 2 are possible.

Feel free to ask any question or concern you may have. I will be glad to help you.

Andy, Computer Consultant

The laptop completely dies when I unplug it, so I'm guessing the battery is dead. It is over a year old when I got it, and it has been sitting idle for a bout a month. Thanks for your help. I'll send this reply then hit the accept button.

Jo

Hi !!

Thank you very much for the nice feedback and the bonus.

Whenever you want to keep laptop or any electronic device idle for long time, always remove its battery. It will be good for the device and battery both.

Take care

I will remember that next time! I didn't know it was going to be idle for sooo long.

thanks again Andy.

Jo

Andy, Computer Consultant