How can reset a HP Pavillion ze2000 notebook

Customer Question
?...
How can reset a HP Pavillion ze2000 notebook ?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Computer
6/28/2009
Tech Support Specialist: abhi_iitian, Computer Software Engineer replied 8 years ago
abhi_iitian
abhi_iitian, Computer Software Engineer
Hi there,

Do you want to reset it to factory settings ? Could you elaborate what you mean by reset and why do you need to do it ?

Did you get a recovery disk with it?

Abhi
If you want to do a factory restore :

Go ahead and backup your important files , backup data files - such as pictures, music, videos, and documents then run the HP restore disc. The restore disc bring your system back to factory defaults (you will have the same programs/files on the system as the day you bought it).

To restore your system, follow these steps :

Step 1: Insert your restore disc into the cd/dvd rom

Step 2: Go to start > shutdown > restart

Step 3: Watch your computer carefully - It may prompt you to "press a key to boot from cd" or something along those lines. if you see that message simply press space or enter and the computer will load

Step 4: after the restore disc has loaded follow the onscreen instructions

If you can not find your original recover disc set, you can contact HP at 1-800-GO-COMPAQ or www.hp.com

Alternatively keep tapping f11 key while computer powers up, this will take you to HP recovery, then just follow the on-screen instructions.

Abhi
<p>When the the comp powers up it will show the HP Invent boot screen for a second if even that, then it takes me to a black screen where all it has is a blue little box that says: Enter Password [ ] only 8 characters fit in the character box. After 2 attemps at the password XXXXX box appears. It says: System Disabled [00194]. I then have to power down and then power back up to try again. I have no idea what the password XXXXX be because i did not setup any passwords. The only thing i did was install some drivers and when i rebooted to finish the instalation thats what happened. <br /><strong>Troubleshooting</strong> : I tried pushing Escto change the bootup entries and f10 & f12 to enter setup or the boot from lan option but the black screen with the blue little box overwrites all of them. I tried entering passwords of my personal knowledge but none of them worked.<br /><strong>Setting changes</strong> : Every once in a while when i power up it will skip the HP INVENT boot screen and go straight to the (Enter Password) screen. </p>

You need to reset bios.Some HP laptops have a reset button on the bottom (it's clearly labeled) Press and hold that for 10 - 30 seconds and it also clears your BIOS settings. If you cannot see such button :

For this you have to take out the CMOS battery(also called the RTC or real time clock) providing battery power to the BIOS.

The CMOS battery is i under the keyboard. Here is the media guide for disassembling this model.

Click on the link below :
http://vsslfpro.zcce.compaq.com/plmcontent/NACSC/SML/results.htm?SID=7900362&MEID=4CF32B27-0234-4DE4-926A-8836811C8E9E

Hope this helps, you can also try this :

Take out main battery and make sure your laptop isn't plugged in , To do that :

Flip the laptop over. On the back of the laptop will be this rectangular panel with 2 screws. Loosen the screws. Lift the left side of the cover and swing it to the right. Lift the cover off. You should now see the hard drive and the battery (small and round with two wires coming out of it to a connector). Unplug the battery and leave that small batery unplugged for about 5 minutes. Then plug the battery in, screw the cover on, etc.

If you don't see the battery when you open up the hard drive panel then:

Remove the screws holding the hard drive down and pull on the mylar strrip to get the hard drive out. Then you'll see the battery.

Abhi
<p>abhi i dont have a small enough screwdriver to do this right now but if this works which im sure it will, its money in your bank for sure. Thanks, Goodnight. </p><p> </p><p> </p><p>P.S. Money will be in around this time 2morrow</p>

Sure. Take your time and look for a small screwdriver from somewhere.
Thanks
I think earlier I gave you instructions for removing the main battery. To reset BIOS, you have to take out the CMOS battery(also called the RTC or real time clock) not the main battery (although you can try that as well but you will not need to) providing battery power to the BIOS.

Click on the link below :

Choose "Real Time Clock Battery" on the left.

Hope this helps.

Abhi
abhi_iitian
abhi_iitian, Computer Software Engineer

Any progress ?
I apreciate it abhi but none of it worked. Thanks

Were you able to remove the back cover and locate the CMOS battery ?
No I wasnt but i thank u for your time.
abhi_iitian
abhi_iitian
abhi_iitian, Computer Software Engineer