How do I repair my free version real player.

Customer Question
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Computer
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/30/2009
Tech Support Specialist: Andy, Computer Consultant replied 8 years ago
Andy, Computer Consultant
Hello !!

Are you getting any specific error. Why do you want to repair ?

Which version of real player do you have

Are you using xp or vista

I have stuff in my library I can not access. I believe it is version 11, well the latest anyway
Hello !!

Do you mean that you have songs that show up in library but when you click on them they do not play ?

Yes, songs and video clips that do not play. I am using windows xp.
Hello !!

To be frank, there is no such option to Repair real player. But we can try and solve your problem.

Now, were you able to open these specific files using real player in past ?

If yes, do you know where are these files stored on your computer. Exact location.

And, what is the full name (with extension) of these files (few example of video n song files)

Last, please tell me the exact error you get when you try to open up these files in Real Player

They are in the real player library. I would rather move them and transfer them to another storage and open them with windows player. In the past when you click on a selection they start to play but the player is far slower and trying to open a selection often leads to a popup telling me the program is not responding and the screen freezes. I like to keep these clips and keep real player because it offers me ability to download what i am watching.
Hi !!

Please do this and tell me results.

Close real player

Goto the video file location. keep pressed Shift key and then Right click on he video file and click Open with (now release both keys). Then select Real player from the list and click OK.

Now does the file open fine ?

I activated the sticky key function and after a few minutes I was able to play a selection but nothing is really fixed. I never had to wait so long for the system to work, maybe it is about how much I have stored in the library. I attempted it again and it did not work. A right click opens nothing. The files are there I just can't access them.
Hi !!

In that case the easiest option is to uninstall Real player completely and then do a fresh installation.

Would you like to do this ? . I can show you how to remove the software completely.

Can I save what is in my library doing this or move it somewhere else. I can not right click on any selection though. Nothing comes up.
Hi !!

By right click I mean this :
Close real player. Then open MyComputer and browse to the folder where the video files are stored. (press Shift key n keep pressed) Now Right click on One of the video files and click on Open With from the menu that pops up.

Then a window will pop up. Select Real Player from the list and click OK.

Let me know if you can do this

Hi, Can't find the files searching my computer. Do they exist outside of the real player?
Hi !!

Real player is just a software that allows you to create playlist / library to organise files and to play them.

All video and audio files reside on your computer as seperate entity and are not bound to any software.

Thats the reason I asked you to do this. Because I am afraid that the library lists the file, but the file might not even exist on your computer. You must have either listened to them online or deleted them by mistake.

Now, for example if they are mp3 files, you can search for *.mp3 on your computer. That will list you all mp3 files on computer and you will be able to locate the folder where they are stored.

Then goto that folder and double click on those files to play them.

But if the files dont exist, you cannot play them.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If my answer helped you, please click on the ACCEPT button so that I can get paid for my work.

Please ask me any question you have before leaving a Negative Feedback. I will be glad to help you solve all your problems.

Positive Feedback and BONUS is always appreciated.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The selections are not somewhere on my computer just on the real player library. I just figure since the real player is free you get what you pay for. The only answer you gave me was to uninstall using your help. That is not what I was looking for. I don't really want to pay for "you can't fix real player" Sorry I can not accept you answer.
No worries. I am sorry my answer was not upto your expectation. I will opt out and let other experts give you a more acceptable answer.

Tech Support Specialist: Maggie P, Computer Support Specialist replied 8 years ago
Maggie P
Maggie P, Computer Support Specialist
HiCustomerbr />
If the files are on your hard drive you can right-click on them from My Library and select Locate File

Does this help?
None of the answers were in fact answers or did not apply to the situation. I have deleated the real player. It appears that the download offer was a temporary download to the real player library which exists independantly from the real player otherwise it would not be necessary to specifically instruct the system to uninstall the library as well. So, what I had was downloads that just never made it onto the computer files. The real player then became quite full and as a result started working quite slow. In the future I will try again with real player but the fact that the right click function did not work on the downloaded to library materials is an interesting fenom. I don't think that I will seek help on this problem again as it is outside most normal areas of expertise. The only thing I could remotely take as an answer is "look on your computer for these downloads" and that is not really anything concrete. Sorry, I am not satisfied with the answer. In the future I will make sure to present something that a tec can work with and will promptly pay.
Sorry we were unable to help you on this occasion and good luck in the future with Real Player.

Regards

Maggie
Maggie P
Maggie P
Maggie P, Computer Support Specialist