HELP! Im using Windows XP. When I opened my desktop yesterday,

HELP! I'm using Windows XP. When...
HELP!

I'm using Windows XP. When I opened my desktop yesterday, no desktop icon appeared and there was also no START bar/menu - I got was a plain blank black screen with only the mouse pointer whichresponds as I move the mouse.

Although the mouse responds with movement, I CANNOT get the options "Active Desktop, Arrange Icons, Refresh, Properties, etc" that usually appear when you do a right-click on the desktop.

I am able to launch Task Manager when doing a Ctrl+Alt+Del and from here I can launch applications when clicking the "New Task" button. I've tried opening the usual applications that I use and was able to open them so im not sure what the problem is since I can open applications via this route.

I've tried rebooting and starting countless times but same problem. NO icons, no Start bar, etc.

Please help me to resolve this problem!!
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/16/2009
Anthony Brewster
Anthony Brewster, Consultant
Hello. Please try this...

When you get your Task Manager up again...

1) Click File
2) Click New Task
3) Type explorer.exe and press enter (that should bring up your desktop)

Let me know if it does or not...

:)

Hi Anthony,

Just did that and it brought up the "my documments" tab - still no desk top......

try this...

when you go back to task manager, file, new task, type this

http://www.combofix.org/download.php and press enter

This is a software called ComboFix. Here is more below...

(SAVE IT, then click on RUN if it will let you)

Try to run COMBOFIX and it will take about 5 minutes to complete tops. The Microsoft Level 2 Techs use this and nothing gets past it. This is a FREE scan and it does not install anything on your computer, it runs from the command prompt!

http://www.combofix.org/download.php

1) Save it to your desktop

2) Run It

When it is done, you will get a notepad with the report. If anything was deleted it will show you at the top like this....

(((((((((((((((((( other deletions )))))))))))))))))))

After that, close the notepad, restart your computer, and everything should be back to normal. Best of Luck!

Here is you a guide just in case you want to see what happens.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/combofix/how-to-use-combofix

BEST OF LUCK! :)

Hi Anthony,

Nearly there!!! My desk top is back which is excellent! Just one more thing - after the reboot I've had 2 error messages come up that weren't there before.

One was:

Rundll

Error loading c:\proga~mywebs (i didn't catch the rest of the message)

the other was:

Roxwatch9 (I didn't catch the rest of this error message either)

Please could you advise?

Also to be cheecky can I pick your brains - what's your opinion on the programme recure? I spent £40 on it this morning in an attempt to resolve the problem (which it didn't!) but it after running it it did say it "fixed" 1007 problems on my PC - is it ligit of should I get my money back? The licence is for a year

Regcure is ok i guess, but those types of programs are dangerous? Why? Because if 1 wrong thing is removed from the registry (the brain of the computer) it will not boot up...

Error 1 - Spyware - you will download a tool from Microsoft called AutoRuns to get rid of that one...

Error 2 - Roxio (Burning Software) - we will deal with this using autoruns as well hopefully but fixable so dont you worry...

Please download this for me...

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx

On the top right-hand side, click Download Autoruns and Autorunsc
(570 KB).

Then, after you download it, extract them to your desktop and run only the autorun (NOT Autorunsc)....

When you are here and its opened, it will scan, after this, click on Options and click Hide Microsoft and Windows Entries, and then click on File and Refresh...

Now, go through the list (look on the end of it under image path tab) anything you see that says File Not Found, Right-Click and Delete all of those...

After this, close it, and restart your computer again for me and let me know if errors comes back....

BEST OF LUCK! :)

nearly there!! the only error message that is still appearing is (and I made sure I wrote it all down this time!)

Roxwatch9.exe

The exception unknown software exception (0xe06d7363) occurred in the application at the location 0x7c812afb

I clicked ok, and then the error message:

Roxsniffer 9 module encountered a problem and neeeded to close

fingers crossed!

Ok, do you have a CD for Roxio.Sonic? If so, put it in and do a repair.. You might also be able to try this...

1) Click Start
2) Click Control Panel
3) Click Add/Remove Programs
4) Locate Roxio
5) Click Uninstall
6) Click Repair if available...

BEST OF LUCK! :)

Hiya,

just had a quick look - can't find Roxio listed in the add / remove programmes and don't have a roxio CD (Have never actually heard of it!)

what now?

Ok lets try this... Download and Run HiJackThis...

http://www.trendsecure.com/portal/en-US/tools/security_tools/hijackthis/download

Click on the one that say Download HijackThis Installer and run it...

Do a SCAN ONLY, and then locate ROX, or Roxio, or Sonic, and if you see anything like this, put a check it the box, and when your done, click on Fix Checked. After this, restart your computer again and it should be ok...

BEST OF LUCK! :)

still appearing! If it helps the error signature is:

szAppName : RoxWatch9.exe szAppVer : 9.4.2.98 szModName : kernel32.dll

szModVer : 5.1.2600.5781 offset : 00012afb

and the technical information about the report is:

C:\DOCUME~1\EMAOKO~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER9f35.dir00\RoxWatch9.exe.mdmp

C:\DOCUME~1\EMAOKO~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER9f35.dir00\appcompat.txt

what now?

ok thanks! then lets do it this way...

1) Click Start
2) Click Run
3) Type regedit and press enter

now you have your registry editor

1) Click the + sign for HKEY_CURRENT_USER
2) Click the + sign for Software
3) Click the + sign for Microsoft
4) Click the + sign for Windows
5) Click the + sign for CurrentVersion
6) Click the folder RUN

Now, right-click and delete everything on the right-hand side (except default). After that, scroll back to the top and make HKEY_CURRENT_USER a - to a + again to bring it back up....

Now, do this...

1) Click the + sign for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
2) Click the + sign for Software
3) Click the + sign for Microsoft
4) Click the + sign for Windows
5) Click the + sign for CurrentVersion
6) Click on the folder RUN (not the + sign)

Now, right-click and delete everything on the right-hand side (except default, and if you see your anti-virus program listed there, leave it as well). After that, scroll back to the top and make HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE a - to a + again to bring it back up....

Close everything out, restart your computer, and this time is should be ok and maybe a bit faster. We just deleted everything that is ONLY starting up with windows. There are not neccessary to have except for your anti-virus software....

BEST OF LUCK! :)
You may want to do this first...

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Uninstallers/Roxio-Zap.shtml

Download this and run it to see if it will cleanup roxio software for you....

:)

Hiya,

Did the 1st part, shut down and restarted and it was still there (arrrr) Just saw the second part of your email - have gone to the softpedia link to uninstall the only problem is that the roxio application isn't coming up in the applications list - any suggestions??

Really? Thats so strange... Yes, i full of ideas hehe. Try the Microsoft Process Explorer..

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx

Download and Run It, when you run it, it will tell you all the processes that is running in the background, please again look for Roxio or Sonic, or Roxwatch9, if you see it do this, right-click on it, go to properties, and see where it is located and post me the info here.

Thanks!

Still not showing - unless i'm doing something wrong? (thanks for your patience and help with this by the way! You've been great!)

Your welcome. It might not show openely but im sure its running somewhere. With process explorer opened, do this...

Click on Find
Click on Find Handle or Dll
Type RoxWatch9.exe and press enter

Does it find anything?
nothing!!! have tried sonic and roxio as well......
OK! The only other thing i know to do is to install Roxio 2009 edition trial edition, then once it is install, uninstall it lol...

http://www.softpedia.com/get/CD-DVD-Tools/Data-CD-DVD-Burning/Roxio-Easy-Media-Creator.shtml

Please download this first, and then restart your computer. If that error doesnt show up anymore then there's your problem. If you dont want to keep it, just uninstall it again and it should be ok

BEST OF LUCK! :)
Anthony Brewster
Anthony Brewster, Consultant

sorted! Thank you so much for all your patience and help with this! You've been fantastic - I will definitley be recommending just answer to you friends that i've found the site!

You've been brilliant!

<p>SOUNDS GREAT!</p><p> </p><p>GOD BLESS! :)</p>
Anthony Brewster
Anthony Brewster
Anthony Brewster, Consultant