My computer has a black screen with the following error

Customer Question
message. Windows could not start...
My computer has a black screen with the following error message. Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:    <Windows root>\system32\hal.dll.       Please re-install a copy of the above file. I am using my childrens computer to type this question. I am close enought to my computer to take your commands.
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Computer
5/5/2009
Tech Support Specialist: Matt, Computer Support Specialist replied 9 years ago
Matt, Computer Support Specialist

What's the operating system you are using? Also, do you have an installation disc of the same?

Regards
Windows xp- yes I have the disc
Okay ..when you insert the disc and power on your system, does it prompt you to boot from disc accordingly?

Regards
Okay ..please carry out the following steps in order to perform a repair install of your system using the disc:

1) Start your computer with the installation disc inserted.
2) Press any key to load from the disc when prompted to do so.
3) Press ENTER when you see the message 'To setup Windows XP now', and then press ENTER displayed on the 'Welcome to Setup' screen (Do not choose the option to press R to use the Recovery Console).
4) In the Windows XP Licensing Agreement, press F8 to agree to the license agreement.
5) Make sure that your current installation of Windows OS is selected in the box, and then press R to repair the same.
6) Now, follow the instructions on the screen to complete Setup.
7) Reboot your system and load up your XP OS as you do normally (dont boot from the disc again), and follow the steps given accordingly to repair your OS; your data won't be lost, your system settings will just be repaired and reverted back to default settings.

Hopefully, this should fix it up all right ..keep me posted.

Regards
Matt one more thing that I forgot to mention is that the numbers lock keeps coming on even when i turn it off and if I restart it comes back on
Okay ..in order to prevent the NUM LOCK key from turning on automatically at startup, please go to Start > Run, and type in regedit; in the 'Registry Editor' window that comes up, navigate to the following location in the left panel:
HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Keyboard

In the corresponding right side, double-click on the InitialKeyboardIndicators string, and change its 'Value data' to 0. Done that, restart your system ..and you are all set.

Regards
Matt I tried what you said and I got the message in blue that the partition is either to full damaged not formatted or formated with an incompatible file system. To continue installing windows setup must format this partition. Formatting will delete any files on the partition. And please dont worry i will pay for your time. As long as it is reasonable.
Okay ..as I specified in step 5 of my set of instructions, did a window come up prompting you to press 'R' to repair your existing Windows installation?

Regards
No it went directly to an area called partitions. I have 2 hard drives and i dont know what that means one says c: partition 1 72614 mb free that is my main drive and D: patition2 shows 3639mb free I don't use at all I dont think?
Hmm ..from what it looks like, we may have to format your system partition and carry out a fresh installation of Windows XP; however, before that, had you backed up your files/folders earlier?<br /><br />Regards
Unfortunately. no can we use the d: drive or is there enough space? I don't care what is on that one. All my family pictures and everything is on the C drive. I was trying to set up with a company to back-up on line but I kept having problems with the way they billed. Please tell me there is something else I can do even if i have to take it to a shop.
Okay ..at the partitions window in Windows Setup, how many disk partitions/unpartitioned space are listed? Also, could you cross-check the free space available in each of them?

Regards
Unpartitioned sapce 31mb   c: partition (unknown 72614 mb (72614 mb Free D: partition Unknown 3640 mb ( 3639 mb free unpartitioned space 8mb
Okay ..that makes sense ..now, please tap the F1/F2 (or whatever specified) key at bootup in order to get to your BIOS setup menu, then check in the boot order if your main hard drive is listed as the second boot device, after CD/DVD drive. If not, make changes accordingly, save and restart your system, and check if you are able to boot up your OS all right thereafter.

Regards
there is a check mark next to the c drive I restarted and got the same message windows root system32\hal.dll. Please reinstall a copy. Also I had this computer worked on in town by a company that I am sure has a boot disc for this computer. If that doesn't work can they put in a new hard drive and transfer everthing over from hard drive c?
Did you get into your BIOS setup menu?

Regards
I gues I wasn't clear in previous response when I got into bios setup it showed c: with a check mark next to itand under it was my cd/drive unchecked. So I saved it anyway and restarted it showed the same original message.
Hmm ..in that case, I'm not sure why your system isn't displaying the correct disk size of the partitions in your hard drive, so I'll be opting out for the time being to let the other experts try and take the issue further from here.

Regards
Thank you for trying
Tech Support Specialist: Nilesh, Computer Software Engineer replied 9 years ago
Nilesh
Nilesh, Computer Software Engineer

this link will help you.

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_haldll_missing.htm

Please have a look at Final Solution.

Regards,
Nilesh