how do I fix a Java.lang.NullPointerException

Customer Question
?...
how do I fix a Java.lang.NullPointerException ?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Computer
5/2/2009
Tech Support Specialist: abhi_iitian, Computer Software Engineer replied 8 years ago
abhi_iitian
abhi_iitian, Computer Software Engineer

Java.lang.NullPointerException is a very common exception thrown in java classes. It is thrown when one is trying to referene a null object.

More details are at the link below

NullPointException

To figure out what exactly is wrong in your code, I will need to look at your code. So please provide the class which is throwing this exception and tell the line where it is thrown

Abhi

I only get this when I try playing games on Pogo.com, when the game is loading. I get the Application Error, and then when I push the botton for details this is what comes up. I can surf the web and play games on all other sites except Pogo. I have unloaded and reloaded Java and updated to the 6 U 13 and my JVM says it works. I have deleted all temp files browser cache files and everything that I have read on help pages to do or try and nothing seems to work.

Application Error

General Exception

Java.lang.NullPointerException

at sun.plugin.cache.OldCacheEntry.getfileentries(unkown source)

at sun.plugin.cache.OldCacheEntry.getEntries (unknown source)

at sun.plugin.cache.CacheUpdateHelper.updatecache (unkown source)

at sun.plugin2.applet.Applet2Environment$3.execute (unknown source)

at sun.plugin.util.PluginSysUtil$SysExecutionThread.run (unknown source)

Which browser are you using ? Is it IE 8 beta ?
I am using IE 7 with windows xp
Could you try using mozilla firefox ?

I would advice you to use firefox. Try using Mozilla firefox which is a very good and popular browser. Download it and then install it . I personally use firefox.
I tried loading that but it won't start and run
Try using Mozilla firefox which is a very good and popular browser. Download it and then install it . I personally use firefox.

Do you get same error with firefox ?

don't know for as I said I download it and when I double click on the icon on my desktop it won't open a browser or nothing

Click start, run, type firefox.exe. enter, wait for 2 mins, does it open ?
I don't have it loaded no more
Could you try it again, download and install it. It should come up when you double click, might have been faulty installation previously.

getting ready to go there now

Okay, let me know if firefox works
I will but I will have to get back to you, for I have dial up and it takes forever. So I can get back to you later if not tomorrow. would that be ok?
yes sure, you can download it at a faster connection and then transfer to your system using cd or flash drive.

ok got firefox redownloaded and double clicked and it still wont open

I am not encountered this problem before about java and pogo, I will opt out and pass it on to another expert

thanks anyway

Andy, Computer Consultant