Travis B.
Travis B., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  7+ years of experience in troubleshooting computer problems. A+ Computer Maintenance and Repair
16569391

I cannot delete items in junk mail or empty the deleted items

I cannot delete items in junk mail or empty the deleted items folder. When attempted, the message pops up: "Message interface has returned an unknown error. If problem persists, restart the computer." Restarting my HP w1907 computer with Vista and Outlook 2007 does not help.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Travis B. replied 8 years ago.
Hey Julia,

Please follow the diections below:

Deleted Items is probably corrupt.
Go to Tools | Options | Maintenance | Store Folder and see where OE is
storing its data files.
Close OE.
Go to the store folder with Windows Explorer and delete Deleted Items.dbx.

If you have anymore questions please ask!
Smile

Travis B.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
"Go to Tools | Options | Maintenance | Store Folder and see where OE is
storing its data files."
Tools/Options does not have maintenance tab/button - I am using Outlook 2007
Expert:  Travis B. replied 8 years ago.
Okay Julia please try to Close Outlook and go Offline. Open Outlook when not on line and try deleting from the Delete folder.

Travis B.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
how do I get back to you?
Expert:  Travis B. replied 8 years ago.
Come back to this same place when your done, if that doesn't work please try To start outlook in safe mode go to start -> Run, then type: outlook /safe

Travis B.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
ok, standby
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
did not work, same message. I was able to delete about 30 files individually, in groups of about 10, then again started getting the "messaging interface has returned an unknown error. If the problem persists, restart Outlook."
Expert:  Travis B. replied 8 years ago.
Okay and you also tried to start Outlook Express in Safe Mode?

It sounds like there might be one Croupted Email in your mailbox, have you tried to delete your account on Outlook and recreate it?

Travis B.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
again, I am using Outlook 2007, NOT Outlook Express.
I am unaware of an option to start Outlook in safe mode.
If I delete my account in Outlook, would that mean losing my contacts, notes, and emails?
Expert:  Travis B. replied 8 years ago.
Sorry, I mean Outlook 2007, I say outlook express, basically the same thing to me.

The easiest way to get Outlook 2007 in Safe Mode would be to hold down the ctrl key while you start Outlook 2007.You have to keep the key down until Outlook starts and it will tell you it is in "Safe Mode."

Also Yes if you do delete your account and remake it you would lose everything, but you can back up your contacts/address book and emails.

Travis B.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
opened in safe mode, attempted to empty deleted items folder, same message.
Expert:  Travis B. replied 8 years ago.

Okay first please do this so you can see all the hidden files for outlook:
  1. In Windows, click the Start button, and then click Control Panel.
  2. Click Appearance and Personalization.

Note If you are using Control Panel Classic View, double-click Folder Options, and then continue with step 4.

3. Click Folder Options.
  4. On the View tab, under Advanced settings, under Files and Folders, under Hidden files and folders, select Show hidden files and folders.
Then please try this go to Start---->My Computer---->C Drive------>Program Files---->Might be under Microsoft Outlook 2007 or Just Outlook 2007, each computer might be different. Then you want to delete Deleted Items.dbx.

Travis B.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
turned on option to show hidden files, searched under My Computer---->C Drive------>Program Files---- for the Deleted Items.dbx using both the full file name and *dbx, no results
Expert:  Travis B. replied 8 years ago.
Okay that is very weird, after deleting that file you should have a deleted "deleted items", I would advise to export your address book and emails and to delete your mail box from Outlook 2007 and recreate it by going to Tools-->Accounts--->then add email account.

If you have anymore questions please ask, otherwise have a good night and god bless! Smile

Travis B.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
backed up the outlook file, then imported the backup. was able to empty the deleted items folder. Now I would like to replace the original file with the backup, but I can find no option to delete the original file. The backup does have the option to close the file, but the original does not have that option. any suggestions?
Expert:  Travis B. replied 8 years ago.
You should just be able to import the backup file and it should overide it.

Travis B.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I had used another name, and it came in as a separate file. will try again with no new name.
Expert:  Travis B. replied 8 years ago.
Just import it as the same file name and when it asks you to over ride it click yes to allow.

Travis B.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
tried to import with replace, after about 7 min, message operation failed - something about registry error, retry, if persists, reinstall.

What now?
Expert:  Travis B. replied 8 years ago.
If your getting that error you need to actually reinstall your Outlook Express 2007 and if you don't have the CD you can get a copy for free right online.

Travis B.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I will try that. thanks for your help. giving up for now, will restart on issue tomorrow. good night. If there is any way to advise you if this works, i will go ahead and accept. Suggestions?
Expert:  Travis B. replied 8 years ago.
Just come back here tomorrow if you need more help Smile

Travis B.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
ok.
Later