I am getting kicked off my wireless internet connection every

few minutes. I already...
I am getting kicked off my wireless internet connection every few minutes. I already went through troubleshooting w/ my router company and they told me I needed to touch base w/ acer to reset my wireless settings. I am wondering how I can do this.
2/23/2009
Justin
Justin, Software Engineer
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-What operating system are you using?

-What is the make and model of your router?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

My system is windows vista.

Netgear WNR2000

This is a known problem with vista and your router. IPv6 causes the connection to drop anywhere from every 30 seconds to every hour.

To fix this we will disable IPv6 on the vista machine. Instructions for doing so can be found here:
http://wiki.williams.edu/download/attachments/17035/Disable_IPV6_Vista.pdf

Follow these directions but instead of local area connection perform them on your wireless connection.

If you encounter any problems or need additional assistance just reply back and I will be happy to help.
I followed those instructions and just tried going wireless and it let me for a minute and then lost the connection again.
I assume you have verified that you have acceptable signal strength?

How many other networks show up in your area? how many of those are at medium to full signal strength? (Lets try to rule out interference)
I show 3 other networks and I am showing full strength on my network.
Ok lets take a look at what channel the other networks are using to determine if they could be interfering with your signal.

1. Press the windows key + r
2. Type "cmd" without the quotes and press enter
3. Type "netsh wlan show networks mode=bssid" (again without quotes) and press enter
4. Each network visible to your computer will be visible to your computer will be shown including your own. What are the channel numbers of the other networks and what is the channel number of yours?
2 of them are on channel 6, 1 is on channel 1, and I am on 11
Ok so that all looks good. Repeat steps 1 and 2 from above and then:
3. Connect to the wireless network if not already connected
4. Type "ping google.com" in the command prompt and press enter
5. Post back % packet loss

If the number is XXXXX%, repeat the command one more time to make sure.
0 percentage loss
Can you visit the support site for your computer manufacturer and make sure you have the latest drivers for your wireless card installed? If you need instructions just post back the make and model of your computer and I can walk you through it.
I have an acer aspire 5610Z. Thanks
Well after looking into this it seems acer does not have a vista driver available for this card. There have also been quite a few users that reported compatibility issues with the current drivers and vista. However, lets check windows update for a newer driver.

1. Click start
2. In the search box type "devmgmt.msc" and press enter
3. Click the network adapters category
Note: Post the name of your wireless network card back here with your next response
4. Right click on your wireless network card and select update driver
5. Select Search automatically and follow the prompts
Justin
Justin, Software Engineer
Atheros AR5007EG Wireless Network Adapter
Was windows able to find an updated driver?

yes. I just restarted my computer so it would activate.

Any other ideas to get my wireless internet working?
Now that the wireless card has been updated, unplug the router, wait 30 seconds and then plug it back in.
Hi there,

Was that successful? If not let me know and I can suggest the next step.
Sorry for all the delays. It has been working since the other night. I wanted to give it some time since it was working for awhile before and then acted up. I am accepting the charges now. Thanks so much for your help.
Glad I could help... Didn't mean to rush you - i'll leave the question open for the next 24 hours just in case.
Justin
Justin
Justin, Software Engineer