My Canon MP780 is displaying the message Wrong Cartridge

Customer Question
My Canon MP780 is displaying...
My Canon MP780 is displaying the message "Wrong Cartridge" which I cannot resolve by cleaning the print head and replacing all cartridges. The printer has not had much use and worked on compatible cartridges for a couple of years without thei problem.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Computer
2/15/2009
Tech Support Specialist: namzyanzy, Computer Support Specialist replied 8 years ago
namzyanzy
namzyanzy, Computer Support Specialist

Try these below mentioned steps to get your problem sorted:

Reseat Print Head

Reseating the print head is seldomly needed to be done.

1. Press the Open Button (1) to open the Paper Output Tray (2).

2. Raise the Scanning Unit until it stops.

1. Pull and hold the Scanning Unit Lever towards you, then raise the Scanning Unit.
    2. The Print Head Holder moves to the middle.

3. Open the Inner Cover 1.

4. Open the Inner Cover 2.

CAUTION:

a. Do not try to manually move or stop the Print Head Holder.

b. Do not touch any metal parts.

5. Press the ink tank's tab (1), then remove it from the slot (2).

IMPORTANT:
    Handle ink tanks carefully to avoid staining clothing or the surrounding area.

6. Lift up the lock lever and take out the print head.

7. Again, place the print head back in position and press down the lock lever.

8. Insert the ink tank into the empty slot on the print head. Press down gently on the ink tank until an audible click is heard. Make sure the ink tank is in the correct slot.

IMPORTANT:

a. Make sure that the ink tank is inserted in the slot that corresponds to the ink tank's color.

b. If the ink tank is inserted in the wrong slot, perform two head refreshings.

9. Close the Inner Cover 2.

10. Close the Inner Cover 1.

11. Pull the Scanning Unit Lever towards you to close the Scanning Unit.

12. Align the print head position after the print head is installed. You can align the print head position either automatically or manually. When automatic alignment does not work well, align the print head position manually.

Automatically Aligning The Print Head Position:

1. Load A4-or letter-size plain paper in the paper support tray. Auto alignment cannot be performed when the Feed Switch is set to [CASSETTE].

2. Press repeatedly until [MAINTENANCE] appears.

3. Press left or right arrow to select [AUTO HEAD ALIGN].

4. Press . The print head position alignment pattern prints.

5. Check the printed pattern. If the printed pattern matches the illustration, the print head position alignment is complete.

Manually Aligning The Print Head Position:

When automatic alignment does not work well, align the print head position manually.

1. Load A4- or letter-size plain paper in the paper support or cassette.

2. Select the paper source with button.

3. Press repeatedly until [MAINTENANCE] appears.

4. Use left or right arrow to select [ALIGN PRINT HEAD].

5. Press . A horizontal pattern is printed.

6. Beginning from column A on the printout, enter checkmarks in the patterns that have the most solid image.

(1): Bad example (Least solid box)

(2): Good example (Most solid box)

7. Press left or right arrow to select the pattern number that you checked in column A on the printout in step 6.

(A): Column
    (0): Select pattern number with most solid image

8. Press .

9. Repeat steps 7 and 8 to adjust columns B to L. When all the horizontal patterns are adjusted, you will be prompted to print a vertical pattern [PRINT VERT. PATTERN].

10. Press left arrow. A vertical pattern is printed.

11. Beginning from column M on the printout, enter checkmarks in the patterns that have the most solid image.

(1): Bad example (Least solid box)

(2): Good example (Most solid box)

12. Press left or right arrow to select the pattern number that you checked in column M on the printout in step 11.

13. Press .

14. Repeat steps 12 and 13 to adjust column N.

Replacing the print head

The print head may need replacing if, after all print head and ink tank troubleshooting has been performed:

• The nozzle test appears broken or to have horizontal white streaks.
  • One or more of the colors is missing from the Nozzle Test.
  • The colors are incorrect on the Nozzle Test.
  • A print head error is indicated on the unit.
  • The printer powers off when the print head is installed.

If your printer is still under warranty:
You may resolve the issue by taking your printer to an Authorized Service Facility ( Find a Service Location) , or,

For toll-free technical support, please call 1(NNN) NNN-NNNNduring regular business hours (currently Monday-Friday 10:00 a.m. - 10:00 p.m. EST, excluding holidays).

Reset the device when it is not functioning properly

If the device is not functioning properly or to clear memory, reset it.

1. On the operator panel, press and hold the <ON/OFF> button for one second. (The display will go blank.)

Note: It may be necessary to unplug the power cord if pressing the ON/OFF button does not shut off the printer.

2. Wait approximately ten seconds and then press the <ON/OFF> button again.

3. Wait until the device has completed its cycling process before submitting another job request.

I have done all of this but the problem persists
If you have tried all of the above mentioned steps and still there is no result, it would be better to give your printer to Canon service center.

I thank you for taking the time to answer my question, but it has not sorted out my problem in a way that does not involve taking the printer to a repair centre, which I would have done without your answer. Is there no other way of resetting the printer to clear this problem

Tech Support Specialist: Raj, Information Systems Manager replied 8 years ago
Raj
Raj, Information Systems Manager
You haven't replaced the print head itself...I suspect the problem is in that unit. I had a similar problem. It is quite an expensive unit I am afraid. It is debatable whether you should spend money on that or even on a repair.
That's why I bought a new printer, to avoid having an expensive repair, but assumed it would be possible to reset the printer given the printhead has hardly been used.
The reason I have not accepted any response to date is that it (a) did not tell me anything new and (b) did not lead to resolution of the problem. The recommendation was to call a printer engineer which I could determine without any help. I wanted a means of restting my printer or clearing the error message myself, which your engineer could not provide
Raj
Raj
Raj, Information Systems Manager