Bryan, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  8+ years of professional support for tech-related issues, including computers, email and software.
12615041

I have a Brother HL-2070N printer. I just replaced the drum

I have a Brother HL-2070N printer. I just replaced the drum and cartridge with compatible parts purchased on-line. Now my printer will not print, the red light comes on for the paper. The paper bin is full. I've tried turning it off and restarting, holding the "Go" button down, looking inside to make sure no paper is caught, re-installing the drum and ink cartridges. Did I get faulty replacement parts? Please help!

Could you clarify if the 'Paper' LED flashes repeatedly, or just stays on? Also, do the 'Toner' and the 'Drum' LEDs light up as well?

Regards
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
The Paper LED light is flashing red. The Drum light flashes orange, but only occasionally.
Ingrid Kovacs
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Ingrid Kovacs

Ok ..there are a series of steps you should carry out and see if they fix up your issue all right, as follows:
1) Reset the drum counter, if not done already after installing the new drum cartridge, by opening the front cover of the printer, pressing and holding the 'Go' button for around 4 seconds until all the LEDs light up, then releasing the button and closing the front cover.
2) Close the front and back cover of the printer, if open.
3) Check for and clear paper jams, if any, using the steps given the following link:
http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/BSC/public/us/us/en/faq/faq/000000/000000/000026/faq000026_006.html?reg=us&c=us&lang=en&prod=hl2070n_all&Cat=4
4) Make sure there's paper in the manual feed slot.
5) Clean the corona wire of the drum unit as instructed in the following link:
http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/BSC/public/us/us/en/faq/faq/000000/000200/000008/faq000208_012.html?reg=us&c=us&lang=en&prod=hl2070n_all&Cat=7

Let me know how it goes.

Regards
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Hi, I tried all of the steps you suggested and the paper LED light is still blinking red. I just replaced the drum and printer with new cartridges, but they were "compatable" ones. I'm thinking that the drum cartridge is faulty, what do you think?
Hmm ..all indications point towards the same; however, do you get a "Memory full" or "Print Overrun" error message when you try to print?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Hi.
I do not get "memory full" or "print overrun" error. The printer makes a sound as though it is starting up, then the paper LED light turns red and blinks, and then it stays on.
Ingrid
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Hi.
Ingrid

In that case, since the steps I had mentioned earlier didn't work for you, and neither do you get any error messages ..in all likelihood, it's an issue with the drum cartridge you had purchased; I would suggest you to have it looked up, and replaced, if neccessary, by your local vendor without causing any further complications.

Regards
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Hi, I will accept your answer. I did in fact go out and buy the original brother drum and lo and behold, the printer worked. I also replaced the paper, as the paper I was using gave my new printer problems as well. So, was it the paper or the drum? Right now, I've got two printers that work. I am planning on complaining to the company which sold me the reconditioned drum and see how far I get with them. Thank you for your help.
Sincerely,
Ingrid Kovacs
In my opinion, it had to do with the drum cartridge you had purchased online ..however, all's well that ends well!

Thanks for using JustAnswer.

Regards