Dan - Master Tech
Dan - Master Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 35 years experience in the service and repair of all types of electronic equipment.
12940042

How do I install a microphone to my laptop

Customer Question

How do I install a microphone to my laptop?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Dan - Master Tech replied 8 years ago.
GreetingsCustomer let's see if we can find a solution to your problem. First it would help to know a few things and don't be insulted by some of the questions if they seem too simple. What brand and model of computer do you have? Do you know if you have a working microphone? Are you plugging it into the right jack on your computer? Has this computer ever worked with a microphone before or is this the first time?
That will do for starters. I'll look for your reply.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I have a Dell Inspiron 600m. It came with old software and I had a computer designer pull everything off and reload it with the latest version of windows XP

Since this update and newly reloaded material, I have no clue if I have a working mic or not. It does not work with or without a headset. I'm plugging the headset directly into the designated port, and I've checked to verify it's the correct port, etc.

I have never tried to use a mic on this computer prior to today.
OK, this makes it interesting. Make sure you have the right audio driver for your system. Here is a link to the 600M download page:
Dell Insiron 600M

After downloading:

Install

1. Double-click the new icon on the desktop. For example labeled R12345.EXE.
2. The Self-Extracting window appears and prompts you to extract or unzip to C:\DELL\DRIVERS\R12345.EXE. (Example path). Write down this path so the executable (Example - Setup.exe) file can be found later.
3. The Self-Extractor window appears.
4. Click OK.
5. After completing the file extraction, if the Self-Extractor window is still open, close it.
6. Click the Start button and then click Run.
7. Type C:\DELL\DRIVERS\R12345 in the Open textbox and then click OK.
8. Follow the on-screen installation instructions.
I had to update the link. Just select Drivers and Downloads
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I will give it a try right now!
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Everything was going fine untilI got to these steps:

My computer does not offer an "installation" option when I follow step #7. It simply opens a new box with a looong list of words / documents and the date they were modified.
Using windows explorer, open your directory as it is listed:
C:\DELL\DRIVERS\R12345

Is there a Setup.exe file in that folder?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Same results. Here's what pops up when I go through "run" or the explorer directory:

file:///C:/dell/drivers/R90698/WDM/
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
woop- that link did not work... basically a page shows up that says a list of alphabetical files with the dates these files were modified. IE: "version," "Data1," and so forth.
Lol, ok wait. I just noticed the "fine print"
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
By the way, if this works I'm advertising your company to my group of 300 students. I'm so frustrated I'm ready to throw this laptop out the window!!!
Is there an executable ( filename.exe) in C:/Dell/Drivers?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Again, leads me to a list of:

WDM
MDM
DATA1

and about 15 other options... each option leads to a new path of nothingness...
OK, I will download the file and look at it.
OK, this time double click on the file you downloaded, only this time you are going to tell it where to expand itself. when the window opens that says where the file will go, click on the square box to the right of the window path and select Desktop then OK. Click once in the window and after Desktop type: \Driver then click OK
It will tell you the folder doesn't exist, click OK to create it. When I did it the install program started immediately
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Yes, your instructions worked. Does this mean the mic should work now? :)
Maybe, restart your computer if you haven't already
Now I need you to open your sound mixer panel. Since it may differ from the standard windows version we may have to figure it out as to how to get to the input or record panel.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
YAAAY - I did not need to do your last tip-- it worked! I checked my windows sound recording device and skype-- success! Thank you!!!!
That's great. I'm glad it worked. If I can be of any further assistance please let me know. It's been a pleasure and thanks for using Just Answer.