How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask adski Your Own Question
adski, Computer Support Specialist
Category: Computer
Satisfied Customers: 112
Experience:  10 Years working in IT programming, support and administration
Type Your Computer Question Here...
adski is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi, I need to make a photo fit a specific shape (a slanted/rounded

Customer Question

Hi, I need to make a photo fit a specific shape (a slanted/rounded rectangle with a tail on the top). Can anyone tell me how to do this in PS CS3? Thank you.
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Computer
Expert:  adski replied 8 years ago.
If I understand correctly, you want to apply an irregular crop to a photo, cutting around it in an uneven shape?

If you go to this Flickr group here and scroll to the bottom section, there's a quick way of performing this - you basically use the lasso tool to draw the shape over the photo, then invert the selection and cut the surrounding area.

I hope this answers your question :)
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thanks but I need to do it in PhotoShop CS3.
Expert:  adski replied 8 years ago.
While I haven't got a copy of Photoshop CS3 to hand, I do have Photoshop and have used CS3 in the past. I'm fairly sure the lasso tool is still the same in this version - can you not find it?

Expert:  adski replied 8 years ago.
If it helps, there is a guide to using the lasso tool specific to PhotoShop CS3 here :)
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
But I can't hand draw the shape. Can I use another photo in the shape I need somehow?
Expert:  adski replied 8 years ago.
You may be able to, if the second photo has enough contrast on the shape for it to be selected.

Can you use the magic wand tool to select around the edges of the shape that you need?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
No here is the shape I need. Can you suggest a way to create and apply it to several photos?
Expert:  adski replied 8 years ago.
Did you intend to post the shape here? I can't see anything on your posting. Is there a website where I can look at the shape, or could it be uploaded to Flickr, etc?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
graphicIt's just the shape of the floral photo.
Expert:  adski replied 8 years ago.
Thanks for posting the photo. It certainly looks as though it can be done, either by cutting away the middle part with the Magic Wand and making it transparent, or by filling the middle area with a transparent fill.

As I don't have Photoshop CS3 to hand, I can't give you step-by-step instructions on how to do this, so I will opt-out of the question and let the other expects help you - hopefully one will have this version and be able to talk you through it.

Good luck with your work, I hope you get it resolved :)
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I appreciate your attempt however I am not comfortable accepting this answer as in my original question it says that I need to do it in PS CS3. I will if you disagree.
Expert:  adski replied 8 years ago.
No, please don't accept the answer, as I haven't fully answered your question.

You don't need to accept until your question has been answered in full - I have opted out of the question so that other experts can attempt to help you, as I'm not in a position to give you a full answer. You can go on to accept their answers when you are happy your question has been resolved - that's the great thing about JustAnswers - nobody gets paid until they answer the question to your satisfaction :)

Related Computer Questions