John D
John D, BS Degree in Engineering.
Experience:  Bachelor of Science - Engineering Consultant
53785

I cannot get a round cursor with brushes in Photoshop ...

Customer Question

I cannot get a round cursor with brushes in Photoshop Elements 6. I hae the crosshair only. I have tried Preferences and although I click the Normal Brush I only get the crosshairs.
Category: Computer
Expert:  John D replied 9 years ago.

Have you tried to select from the brush types drop down list on the upper toolbar which gets activated when you click on the Brush tool. Here is a screenshot:

graphic

Hope this helps.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to John D's Post: I have used various brush types from the Default Brushes and also the Wet Media Brushes, Dry Media Brushes etc. I seem to have the most problem with the Default Brushes. If I use a Soft Round Brush I have the crosshairs but no circle. I have reset the program, checked the Preferences under Edit and I still can only get the crosshairs. I uninstalled PSE 6 and reinstalled it and had the brush circle for a brief time, but then the circle disappeared and I was back to only crosshairs. This is a weird situationh, much like no Menu Bar in the Organizer unless the dpi is small enough.   But having a circle really helps when one is trying to paint over a mask.
Expert:  John D replied 9 years ago.

I see. If the cross hair is the issue then your painting cursor option must have been set to Precise. To change it click Edit > Preferences > Cursors (or Display and Cursors) then under the Painting Cursors select either Brush Size or Standard. That should do it.

Hope this helps.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to John D's Post: No, it is not set to Precise, it is set to Standard. I just did a check. Various odd things happen to PSE 6. Today when I clicked to open PSE6 I got the welcome screen and I have had the welcome screen set to "open in Editor" ever since I first installed the program. I do get an outline for some of the odd shaped brushes like chalk, but no circle for the standard hard edge or soft edge brushes.
Expert:  John D replied 9 years ago.

Sounds like you have some corruption in PS preferences files in your profile.

I would suggest that you first try opening PS from another windows user account (if you do not have another user account, create a new one). If it works ok then you should consider moving your files and settings to the new account and start using this account instead of the old one.

If on the other hand you still encounter problems in the other account, then you should reinstall PS. Make sure you first save any personal files that may have been saved in PS program folders or default folders to an external folder.

Hope this helps.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
OK John, I will uninstall PSE6 with Revo Uninstaller to be sure I get a clean uninstall (since I have already uninstalled once but not with Revo). I'll get back to you an let you know if this works.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
John, Well, I did the uninstall and then the reinstall and for now I do have a circle with the defaults brushes. I hope it remains. So I am accepting your help. Robbie
Expert:  John D replied 9 years ago.

Thanks for the accept.