I have an IMB Thinkpad T43, with Windows XP the screen went ...

Customer Question
I have an IMB Thinkpad...
I have an IMB Thinkpad T43, with Windows XP the screen went black while I was using it. It''s still running but I cannot see anything on it. Whenever I turn it off and turn it back on the Widows XP Screen comes on, then it goes black again. I will get a blue screen to type in my password, but then it goes black again before my desktop loads. How can I fix this?
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Computer
4/16/2008
Tech Support Specialist: Claws224, IEEE Network Engineer, Microsoft replied 9 years ago
Claws224, IEEE Network Engineer, Microsoft

HI,

Could you reboot your computer and as it starts tap the F8 key slowly till you get to the Safe Mode selection screen.

Select the Safe Mode with Networkingoption by using your cursor keys and hit enter to select.

Once you are in safe mode could you click start then run and type "devmgmt.msc" wthout the quotes and hit enter, Then open display adapters and right click your adapter, Choose Update Driver and see if it installs a new driver.

If it does not the right click it again and choose uninstall then reboot your machine and see if it boots all the way to windows.

If it does it should find new hardware and automatically install the drivers for your graphics card, Once it has rebooted once again it should respond correctly.

If that does not work let me know

Thanks

Reply to Eric's Post: While I was waiting for an answer, I started a Full Scan, should I let it finish first? Thanks for your help.

That is fine,

Let it finish then try my suggestions.

Thanks

Reply to Eric's Post: Will do. It's been scanning now for a little over half an hour and it's about 1/3 of the way complete. No risks found so far.
It didn't find an update. I am going to unistall, but I got a Warning that reads

ATI MOBILITY RADEN X300

Warning: You ar about to unistal this device from your system.

It's really had to read my screen because it is so dark. Are you sure it's okay for me to unistall?

Ok,

When you say really dark, Do you mean that if you look at the screen you can see a ghost image?

If so does it look ok?

Let me know

Thanks

Reply to Eric's Post: Basically it looks like the computer is turned off, but it isn't. It's still running I can even her the pop noise it makes when it connects to the internet. I went ahead and unistalled the ATI thing. I'm using my other computer to type to you.
Forgot to mention, I rebooted and it's still not working.

Ok,

if you look at the screen in a brightly lit area can you see a ghost image?

Thanks

Reply to Eric's Post: I'm not sure what you mean by a ghost image, but in the sunlight I could see everything on my computer, but it was very difficult, as it's dark. There isn't a trail when I drag the mouse or anything like that.

I'm sorry I'm such a pain in the butt.

Ok,

That is exactly what I needed to know, If the machine displays correctly right up till you enter windows then could you try holding down the FN key and slowly tapping the Home, or end keys and see if the sreen brightens up.

If it does then click start, Settings Control Panel and open the IBM power management Center and reset the screen brightness settings and then reboot.

Let me know what happens.

Thanks

Reply to Eric's Post: That's not it. When I first turn on the computer it looks normal, the Widows XP loading screen comes on briefly. Then I get a black screen as Widows is starting up, and I never get brightness back after that.

Ok,

And what happens when you press the FN+Home keys?

Thanks

Also do you have a normal display in Safe Mode?

Nothing. I don't notice a difference at all it looks like it's up all the way. The sun is going down so it's making it harder to see.

Even when I shut down and restarted to start the computer in Safemode, I had to quickly press the little button that the screen would normally press when the laptop is closed in the top left corner for the screen to come back on again so I could see what I was doing.
In Safe mode it was still dark.

Ok,

So if you flick the button the machine will light the screen?

Reply to Eric's Post: Yes. But it is very brief. Also, only when Widows is loading up when I first turn on the computer, if I do it once Widows is running, it shuts down the comuputer becuase it thinks that I've closed the lid.

Ok,

Bythe sounds of things there is nothing physically wrong with the flat panel, What is happening is the power settings in indows are ausing the issue.

If you can see the screen try clicking start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools and opening Sysytem Restore.

Click next then select a date in Bold from before this problem started and follow th prompts to restore your system to an earlier date.

Let me know what happens.

Thanks

I restored it twice, the first time I just went back 2 days ago, but it didn't work. I just restored it back to February 22nd, and still dark screen. It did seem to stay bright longer, but not even through where I put my password XXXXX Any other suggestions?

Well,

If it is the power management settings that are messed up we could try t reset the BIOS.

If you shut down the machine and then as it starts enter the BIOS and check to make sure your power settings are set to maximum for AC adapter and battery.

Try that and let me know what happens, If it does not work then do you have an external monitor we can hook up to the machine so we can try to adjust the power settings.

Thanks

Reply to Eric's Post: How do I get to the BIOS

Ok,

Press and hold down the F1 key or tpa it about every 1/2 secondand then power on the machine, keep pressing or tapping till it enters the BIOS.

Thanks

Okay, I'm at the BIOS. Now what do I select Config?

Ok,

Open Power settings and set them all to Maximum Performance.

Reply to Eric's Post: Everything was set to Maximum, so I didn't need to make any changes.

Please, I hope you have more suggestions, as it's still not working. Thanks!

Ok,

Do you have an external monitor we can hook up?

If so connect it then boot the machine and open the power Options from Start, Control Panel.

Once it is open click Advanced and tel the machine to do nothing when the lid is closed, Then click the first tab and tell it never to turn off Monitors.

click ok and shut down, Then disconnect the monitor and boot it back up.

I have an old Dell monitor that I hooked up. I did all this then just turn it back on and see where we are at?
Still nothing. Back to the dark screen. What else can we try?

Ok,

Could you look under the program menu using the external monitor and see if there is an ibm poer setting utility, If there is then make sure the brightness is set to its higest level.

Let me know

Thanks

I have it, but when I clicked on it I got a message:

Error loading C:\PROGRA~1\ThinkPad\UTILT~1\PWRMGR.OCX
Also, not sure if it matters or not, but my desk top is different now. It never looked like it does now.

Ok,

In that case using the external can you try downloading and reinstalling the IM Power manager from here http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-61583

Once it is installed reboot and try to launch it again.

Thanks

Okay. I dowloaded and installed, shut down, disconnected the external monitor. Booted up, and it still didn't work. I just shut down again and am restarting again with the external monitor. I will try the power utility again.

Ok,

Let me know what happens.

Thanks

I'm still getting the same message. It's not at the path that I'm going to I guess. What do I do now.

Hmmm,

Did you get a disk with your machine or does it just have the restore partition?

Let me know.

No, not that I recall. When I got it, everything was all ready on it. Windows XP, Office Etc. It was set up by my schools IT Department, back in 05.

Ok,

My last suggestion would be to see if you could borrow a windows XP disk from a friend or use one from another machine, All you need is if you are running Home edition you need a Home disk or if you are running Pro you will need pro.

If you can get a disk put it in the machine and then click start, Run and in the box type SFC/ SCANNOW and hit enter so that your machine can repair itself.

Once that is done try redownloading and install power manager and see if it will run.

Let me know if this may be an option.

Thanks

I don't think getting my hands on a disk is going to be an option. I just bought a new HP Compaq laptop within the past month, and I had it down graded from Vista to XP, as my printer, camera and VPN software weren't compatible, and I didn't get a disk, it was just preinstalled.

Is there anything else we can try? Does the fact that my desktop is totally different since I restored it? Some of the icons on my desktop were never there before. Also, I know I had several icons on there since late last year that didn't show up.

Ok,

You can use the restore to roll the machine forward as well as back, So you may wish to restore it to today.

Beyond my last suggestion I cnnot think of anything more as if the screen was black all the time then it would be a hardware failure and easy to diagnose, However the fact it fires up for a short time lets me know it is a power issue with the machine shutting down the baklight under windows.

I am going to opt out so hopefully someone else will be able to help resolve this for you.

Sorry I could not help

Regards

I really appreciate all your help. Will my question remain open?

Yes it will stay open and I have sent a message to another expert to see if they can help.

Thanks

Thanks again.