My sound stopped on my computer. -- the mute is turned off

Customer Question
my sound stopped on my...
my sound stopped on my computer. -- the mute is turned off and everything is plugged in as it was when i was getting sound.what could be the problem?
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Computer
2/28/2008
Tech Support Specialist: Krish, Computer Support Specialist replied 9 years ago
Krish
Krish, Computer Support Specialist

Hi Middy2,

If you have the sound drivers just install them again and restart your computer.

Let me know if you need more help.

Regards,

Krish

dear krish,i'm 70 yr's old and would not know a sound driver if i tripped over it.

Hi Middy,

Dont worry now I will go really step by step with images to help you with this process.

STEPS :-

1) Reboot the PC

2) While it is rebooting keep tapping the F8 key on your keyboard.

graphic

3) You will come to this screen :-

graphic

4) You see the option that is highlighted in the image.

Last known good configuration

You need to hit Enter on this one. And wait for it to come back. Once it is back. Check if you have sound back or not ?

Regards,

Krish

krish i followed your instructions,but i still have no sound.
what do i do now?

Hi Middy,

Have you changed the cable in the last few days.

Regards,

Krish

no i have not changed anything. the computer is less then a year old. the sound was working fine until a few days ago and then just stopped.
my problem has not been resolved.

Hi Middy,

Sorry I was away. My system shutdown so had reboot again and get back on net. Sorry for that. Ok so you said that your system was running ok sometime back. Okay. Lets try System Restore and see if that works for you.

Here are the steps for it :-

• Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click System Restore.

• On the Welcome screen, click Restore my computer to an earlier time, and then click Next.

• On the Select a Restore Point page, select the date from the calendar that shows the point where system was working fine.
  • On the Confirm Restore Point Selection page, verify that the correct restore point is chosen, and then close any open programs.
  • Click Next if you are ready to proceed or click Back to change the restore point.
  • The computer will shut down automatically and reboot. On reboot, you'll see the Restoration Complete page, and then click OK.

Let me know if this helps. If not I am right here till your issue gets resolved.

Regards,

Krish

Krish
Krish
Krish, Computer Support Specialist