MS Outlook cant find aol or gmail server. How do I

MS Outlook can't find aol...
MS Outlook can't find aol or gmail server. How do I solve this problem?
1/16/2008
Chandrakant
Chandrakant, Computer Hardware Engineer
Hey John,

Before we proceed, Which version of outlook do you use?

Let us know and it will be helpful to show you step by step to how to solve this problem.
MS Outlook 2003
Hey again,

For gmail, they have this auto-configuration tool which automatically configures Outlook to receive all Gmail emails. Here is the Direct link to the software, though you can even take a look at Gmail manual configuration page here.

And for Aol, you can take a look at Aol - Outlook configuration page here: This link
If configuring your already existing account doesn't work, you can just discard it and start fresh and add a new email account. The settings will be effecting after you restart your outlook 2003.

Let me know if you are still stuck.
Chandrakant
Chandrakant, Computer Hardware Engineer
Reply to Chandrakant's Post: I have already tried those maneuvers with no luck... though I have not tried discarding a manual set up so I will try that...

Thanks for the try though
Deleting the old and creating new did not work either... any other suggestions?
Ok,

Whats the error you get when you try to send email through outlook, using your aol or Gmail account? Can you just check the port number they provide by default ? Port 25 has been creating problem for few..Just check that too and let me know.
Reply to Chandrakant's Post: Pretty familiar with most of that... changing port setting from 25 to 587 for aol and so forth.

Task 'pop.gmail.com - Receiving' reported error (0x80042108) : 'Outlook is unable to connect to your incoming (POP3) e-mail server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).'

Is one of the error messages... similar one for aol.

This only happens when I am at our sons home connecting to his wireless network... he has a "slingbox" somehow connected to the network could that be the problem?
Another of the error messages

Task 'Checking for new mail in subscribed folders on imap.aol.com.' reported error (0x800CCC0E) : 'Outlook is unable to download folder (null) from the IMAP e-mail server for account imap.aol.com. Error: Unable to connect to the server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).'
and another...

Task 'imap.aol.com: Folder:Inbox Check for new mail.' reported error (0x800CCC0E) : 'Outlook is unable to download folder Inbox from the IMAP e-mail server for account imap.aol.com. Error: Unable to connect to the server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).'

Happens ONLY when I connect to our boys network... and I can access aol mail and gmail with IE explorer...just not with MS Outlook 2003
Are we done, or are you still working on the problem?
Hey there again,

Have you tried POP3 as an incoming mail server? If you havent, then take a look at this one : here

As AOL provides POP3 and IMAP for incoming mails, and the error is mostly related with your imap, so give it a try and lets see how it work.

I am running out of ideas though, so if this one doesn't work, I will just opt out to let other expert assist you with this.
Na... I've done that one as well. I really think it is somehow realted to the slngbox that is on the network...

Thanks for trying though... I'll click the 9 buck box just for trying
Chandrakant
Chandrakant
Chandrakant, Computer Hardware Engineer