Claws224, IEEE Network Engineer, Microsoft
Experience:  approx 20 years of experience from software to hardware design
5195814

Compaq Presario SR1123WM has a blinking green light that ...

Compaq Presario SR1123WM has a blinking green light that will not stop. PC will not do anything but blink. Problem arrised after the power was cut off. Help?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Claws224 replied 9 years ago.

If you unplug the unit wait 30 seconds and plug it back in then try to start it does it start blinking immediately or does it start to boot?

Does it give you any Beeps?

Let us know

Thanks.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
I have had it unplugged for a month, plugged back in and it instantly starts to blink again. NO booting up, NO beeping. Just blinking. Thanks
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Any ideas?
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Ok, well I was told to unplug power to motherboard, then plug back in, and this stopped the blinking. Now my fans start up, but nothing else. Does not boot up. Anyone?????
Expert:  Claws224 replied 9 years ago.

Ok,

has the machine been in the same place or have you moed it prior to trying it?

If you have movd it it is possible you may have dislodged the memory or one of the cards in the case, SO if you feel confident you could try making sure it is off and opening the case.

Then just give the memory and any cards a firm push to make sue everything is seated correctly on the motheboard.

Let me know wht happens.

Thanks

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Yes, I moved it when I thought it was fixed. Ha,Ha on me. Anyway, I checked all the memory to be seated several times. All seems fine. ??? Thanks, Katrina
Expert:  Claws224 replied 9 years ago.

Ok,

Did you check to make sure everything else is plugged in correctly?

Hard drives, Cards etc?

Also could you elaborte on "I moved it when I thought it was fixed"

Thanks

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Double checked the hard drive connections, but I never removed it. Their are two cards I removed and then put back. They both snapped back in as before.

The moving was from the kithcen counter where I tore it apart, then put it back together, and moved back to desk where I hooked the monitor up to it to see if everything was back. Not. Thanks, Katrina
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Hey, the memory cards only snap in one way right? I couldn't have it backwards could I? :(
Expert:  Claws224 replied 9 years ago.

No the memory only goes in one way,

So you took it apart when yu had this issue start. Is that correct?

If so prior to that had you done anything or had any other issues?

Thanks

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
No problems before this. When the blinking started, I disconnected power for one month, then checked yesterday, and was still screwed. I then asked for help online in hopes of a cure. Thanks
Expert:  Claws224 replied 9 years ago.

Ok,

By the sounds of things your machine may have gone into a suspend mode and is refusing to come out of it.

Could you try taking out the CMOS battery with the machine unplugged(bottom of the MotherBoard looks like a big wtch battery) and then wait 30 second and put it back in, Then try to repower the machine.

Let me know if it still blinks, Also could you describe the blink(1 per second 1 evry 2 seconds etc.)

Thanks

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Took the battery out, then replaced. No change. The blinking is 1 per second. Thanks, Katrina
Expert:  Claws224 replied 9 years ago.

Ok,

When you power up the machine does the keyboard numlock ,Caps lock or scroll lock lights blink?

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
No, K
Expert:  Claws224 replied 9 years ago.

Ok,

In that case I am sorry to say that it sounds very much like the power supply has died.

Compaq/Hp have a series of diagnostic lights built into the system and yours do not comply to any they have listed , Here is an example of them http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf-JAVA/Doc/pdf/c00000813.pdf

Usually if the code is not listed and you get a blinking green then it means the PSU has become damaged.

If you would like me to opt out so someone else can try to answer just let me know

Thanks.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
No need to opt out. I am sure you are right. I really appreciate all the time you put forth trying to help me. Thanks so much, Katrina :)