HOW TO CREATE MY OWN STATIC IP ADDRESS ON DI-524?

Customer Question
HOW TO CREATE MY OWN...
Submitted: 10 years ago.Category: Computer
12/29/2007
Tech Support Specialist: JC Dill, Consultant replied 10 years ago
JC Dill
JC Dill, Consultant

IP addresses are assigned to end users by the ISP. You can't create your own IP address. Most home ISP accounts are assigned a dynamic IP address (which changes from time to time), not a static IP address (which usually remains the same address as long as you have the same account with the ISP). If you need a static IP address, you need to contact your ISP (Cable or DSL provider) and upgrade to a service package with a static IP.

If you already have a static IP account, your ISP will be able to help you configure your DL-524 to use that IP address.

If you can tell me more about why you believe you need a static IP address, I may be able to help you with other options.

jc
JC Dill
JC Dill, Consultant
YOU SUPPOSED TO ANSWER MY QUESTION. THERE IS NO ANSWER. I STILL NEED MY OWN STATIC IP ADDRESS ON MY ROUTER DI-524 (D-LINK) FOR MY ACCESS TO MY VIDEOPHONE ON BOTH OF INBOUND AND OUTBOUND CALLS. MY ISP IS NOT ABLE TO GIVE ME STATIC IP ADDRESS DUE TO A LACK OF MANPOWER. WHAT IS YOUR INSTRUCTION TO CREATE MY OWN STATIC IP ADDRESS ON MY ROUTER DI-524???
Hello again Adan,

It is impossible for you to create your own IP address.

What you are asking for is like trying to create your own phone number. The phone company assigns you a phone number - you can't just make one up and program your phone to use it because then the phone company couldn't route calls to your made-up number. IP addresses are the same thing - you get them from your ISP because that's the only way for your ISP's router to send (to route) internet connections to your router - both routers must be programmed with your IP address and the address must be from the block of IPs assigned to your ISP.

If your videophone D-Link router requires a static IP address then you MUST get it from your ISP - there is no other way for you to get one. You need to call your ISP and upgrade to an account that includes a static IP address. They will assign you a static IP address, help you program your D-Link router, and they will also program their router so it can talk to your router on your new static IP address. All 3 steps are needed for this to work.

I'm sorry, I know you would like another answer, but what you are asking is simply not possible.

jc
Reply to JC Dill's Post: YOU SUPPOSED TO ANSWER MY QUESTION BECAUSE YOU ARE PROFESSIONAL COMPUTER EXPERT. MY ISP IS NOT ABLE TO ASSIGN STATIC IP ADDRESS TO ME DUE TO A LACK OF MANPOWER. MY ISP TOLD ME THAT I COULD CREATE MY OWN STATIC IP ADDRESS ON MY ROUTER DI-524. MY VIDEOPHONE DOES NOT NEED PHONE NUMBER FROM PHONE COMPANY AT ALL. VIDEOPHONE IS SIMILAR WITH VIDEO CONFERENCING DEVICE OR WEB CAMERA. I STILL NEED TO STATIC IP ADDRESS FOR MY ACCESS TO MY VIDEOPHONE ON MY ROUTER, PLEASE.
Hello again Adan,

I am answering your question. I'm sorry that it isn't the answer you want - but I can't make the internet change how it works so you can make up your own IP address.

If your ISP can't provide you with a static IP address then you need to get a different ISP. There is NO OTHER WAY to get a static IP address that will WORK when you connect to the internet.

I never said your videophone needed a phone number. If you will reread carefully you will see that I was using an analogy - that making your own IP address is LIKE making your own phone number - it doesn't work (on a regular phone) to make up a phone number and program it on your phone because the phone company couldn't route calls to that phone number. For the same reason, you can't make up an IP address and program it into your router.

The ISP's router MUST be configured to talk to your router - no amount of changing on YOUR end will create a static IP address that works to talk to your ISP and the rest of the internet. That's simply how IP routing works. If I gave you instructions on setting a static IP address on your router, you would no longer have internet access because the router at the other end would no longer be able to talk to your router. Then you would be mad at me because I "broke" your internet service!

jc
Hello again Adan,

I can do more research on this for you, but it will take a day or two. In order to do this, I need you to provide the following information:

1) Who is your ISP? What service plan do you have with them? What is their support phone number?

2) Did your ISP supply your DI-524 router?

3) What is the make and model of your VideoPhone?

4) Where are you located? (City and State)

Tech Support Specialist: Claws224, IEEE Network Engineer, Microsoft replied 10 years ago
Claws224, IEEE Network Engineer, Microsoft

Hi Adan,

JC is absolutely right, You can only get an external static IP if your internet provider gives it to you.

All you can do is try to contact their tech support again and just tell them you need a staticIP, If they cannot or will not give you one then you may have to change your internet provider.You may have to pay a small amount extra to have this if they even offer the service, In the 20 years I have been designing networks I have not come accross any way that you can make your own static IP.

Regards

JC Dill
JC Dill
JC Dill, Consultant