Rita
Rita, Network Administrator
Experience:  Network Administrator for large company, Microsoft certified system builder
5454344

I forgot my linksys wrt54g login name and password. I reset ...

I forgot my linksys wrt54g login name and password. I reset my router by pushing a safety pin on the reset for 30 seconds. then I tried leaving the login name blank and the password XXXXX didn't work. so I tried the login admin and the password XXXXX left blank. didn't work. so i tried the login admin and left the password XXXXX didn't work again. not sure where to go from here.

After resetting your router the logon information for this router is the following,

leave the Username field blank and enter "admin" (without quotes) in the password XXXXX

You may need to clear your cache in your browser by opening IE and clicking on Tools - Internet Options - under the general tab click on delete temporary files and delete cookies.

Then try logging in again.

Hope this helps,

Thanks

Rita

Rita, Network Administrator
Experience: Network Administrator for large company, Microsoft certified system builder
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Tried the above suggestion several times, but won't work. don't know what to do now?

hmm,

Ok lets try unplugging the power from the router for 15 seconds and then plugging it back in and try using a pencil instead of the paperclip and hold in the reset button for 30 seconds, when the unit resets back to factory defaults you should see all the lights flash on the front of the unit.

I am running the same router and have had to reset it in the past and it did take several trys to finally get it to reset. Basically what is occuring is it is not actually resetting back to factory default it could be due to not receiving steady pressure as the result of using the paperclip.

Let me ask though were you having issues with your internet is this why you are trying to logon to your router?

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
I was using an open network and about a month ago i receive a trojan virus, basically one that copies keystrokes, so I reset the router and used the "admin" default and it worked. So I set an encrypted password. It worked great, then lately my wireless notebook keeps disconnecting from the router, so I wanted to change the encrypted password XXXXX in case someone broke the code, but now when I reset it I can't login. I tried using the original install disk, but it won't recognize the admin password XXXXX Now i can't set up "wpa" and it is open access again.

ahhh, ok i see

I know you have tried resetting it multiple times, i would like to have you try it one more time but this time dont use a paperclip if you can use a pencil or if you have a fine tip pen i have found either one of these work better in resetting a router.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Still didn't work. This makes NO sense at all. Should I try reinstalling the router, and if yes, do I need to uninstall anything?

Unfortunatly reinstalling the software is not going to correct this issue, and to upgrade the firmware you need to log into the router,

Let me ask when you hold in the reset button on the back of the router do you see the power light flash at all?

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Yes, the power lights flash, then after about 15 seconds, they flash again and then the power light stays on without flashing and after 30 seconds I let go of the reset button. It does seem like the router reset.

Ok yes it does sound like it is resetting, lets try this upon resetting the router reboot your machine and let me ask are you directly connected via a ethernet cable if not please connect your computer via a ethernet cable directly to the router via one of the ports and then try to access the logon page and see if you are successful in logging in.

One more thing when you go to logon to the router ensure that you leave the username field empty and for the password XXXXX

admin

ensure your caps lock is not on and it is being entered in lower case as this can cause issues also.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Nothing works. I has to be something so simple, but I can't think what. this just doesn't make any sense. I just don't know what to do.

Ok let me check some documentation and see what i can come up with as this should have reset it to factory defaults, is it giving you the invalid logon message?

admin

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Not sure if you got my last reply. I've tried all the suggestions you gave, but nothing will let me in. It has to be something so simple. What are my options (if any) now?

I saw your last posting right after i had posted, i am checking some documentation and have actually contacted another expert on the site who is excellent with Mac's to see if he has any additional suggestions also.

This should have reset the router and allowed you to logon.....this is puzzling what is causing the issue here. Give me a few minutes while i research this real quick.

Thanks

Rita

Lets try this, try to logon again but use the following

Username: admin Password: admin

I just received an assist from the other expert and he suggested trying the following, (Thanks, Eric)

Unplug the wireless router.
Hold down the reset button for 30 seconds with nonstop pressure, and while applying continuous nonstop pressure, plug in the wireless router while continuing to hold that reset button for a minimum 10 seconds.

The router should now reboot, and it should work.
If not, then you should know that the WRT54G is very stubborn about resetting. Try the hard reset procedure at least 3 more times. Also, any loss of contact of the reset button at any time during the 40 second interval will cause the hard reset procedure to do a soft reset instead of what you want.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Hi Rita. Somehow I finally got in to the router setup, I used "admin" in the ID and left the password XXXXX I know I tried this before, but it worked now for some reason. I want to change the ID and password XXXXX I'm afraid that if I try I won't be able to get back in. Can you walk me through this?
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
I get an error message: bad image, please try again. The the router reboots. by the way, I'm using a PC with windows xp, not a mac. My bad.

Ok,

Make sure you are selecting the correct version and download the firmware to your desktop.

If you still get the error then let us know the version of your router so we can get you an alternative download.

Thanks

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
It's wrt54gx2 version 2.1
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Still didn't work. I reset my password XXXXX the setup and saved it. It seems to work with the new password. firmware upgrade isn't working so I'm not going to use it. I changed my encryped network key and I set a mac address so only my notebook should be able to access the wireless network i'm thinking? I should be pretty secure now? what do you think?

Steve,

Sounds like you have it all covered.

Hopefully it is all smooth sailing from this point.

Regards

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
thanks Eric. I sent an extra $35.00 totalling $50.00. I think it went to Rita, but I would like you both to share it if it's possible. Thanks for your patience. :)

I am glad to hear you got this resolved, i apologize for not being able to furthur assist you last night there were some problems with the site and then my router started acting up and not letting me back online. I am glad that Eric was able to finish up with you and assist you with this and i will notify the administrators to see if it is possible to share this payment between me and eric.

Have a wonderful holiday,

thanks

Rita