My dell AIO 944 indicates there is a paper jam - however, ...

Customer Question
My dell AIO 944 indicates...
My dell AIO 944 indicates there is a paper jam - however, there is not. Now the screen on the printer keeps instructing me on how to change the cartridge and I cannot get the printer to print. What can I do to get it to reset?... Read full answer
My dell AIO 944 indicates there is a paper jam - however, there is not. Now the screen on the printer keeps instructing me on how to change the cartridge and I cannot get the printer to print. What can I do to get it to reset?
Submitted: 11 years ago.Category: Computer
12/6/2007
Tech Support Specialist: Sean Juan, Computer Support Specialist replied 11 years ago
Sean Juan
Sean Juan, Computer Support Specialist
Does the screen say paper jam when it is not plugged into the PC?
Can you FEED a sheet through without a problem? Have you tried hooking it up to another PC? Reinstall the printer driver ? (although I HARDLY think that would help)

However, after all you have done, I believe it is not a software/driver/PC issue. It seems like the AIO itself is malfunctioning. If you REALLY looked through ALL the paper paths and see NOTHING, then one of the paper path sensors is no longer working.
The fact that it keeps asking for a cartridge also backs up my opinion.
There are small plastic "switches" that follow the path of the paper and each one must be activated in sequential order.

For example, during a printing process or self-check, when sensor 1 goes off, there is a predetermined time for the paper to hit sensor 2...if it doesn't (or hits it too late) it thinks its a jam. In your case, one of the sensors is permanently stuck in OFF or ON so the printer will always think its jammed.

Unfortunately, these DELL AIOs do not have a service mode where you can see what sensors are malfunctioning. The truth is, it would be cheaper to replace the whole AIO or even purchase a replacement (if its even being sold). Those AIOs are considered "modular" designs, hence, entire assemblies are replaced instead of just individual malfunctioning parts. Its Christmas, maybe you'll get lucky with a new AIO!

I hope I have helped...please accept my answer if you appreciate my advice =]

btw, I was also a fuji-film printer technician and I am also Dell hardware certified
Sean Juan
Sean Juan, Computer Support Specialist
Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
I have a Dell 944 printer and while printing, my son put in
I have a Dell 944 printer and while printing, my son put in more paper and the result was it pulled all ten sheets and is now totally jammed. I tried to pull the paper out but it is impossible. The pr… read more
Computer Science Engineer,
I have a faily new Canon pixma MP620 printer ... which I like
I have a faily new Canon pixma MP620 printer ... which I like a lot. However, today there is a problem. When I try to print from the back tray, I keep getting a message saying: error 5100 and to turn … read more
Ryan B.
Ryan B.
Desktop Support Technician,
My printer wont print. This happened suddenly. However,
My printer won't print. This happened suddenly. However, it has happened before, but resolved after turning computer off and on. This didn't work this time. I also tried the trouble shooter, but it wa… read more
Danh
Danh
Stop searching for answers—
HP photosmartC4280 keep saying jammed and wont print at al
HP photosmartC4280 keep saying jammed and wont print at all. it also picked a clancking noise and is not picking up the paper… read more
RPI Solutions
RPI Solutions
Technician, Developer,
My router is connected to a Dell Dimension 410 using windows
My router is connected to a Dell Dimension 410 using windows 7. I get an "enable Bidirectional Communication error" when attempting to print to Dell AIO 944 printer plugged into Dell Dimension 2400 us… read more
J Tech
J Tech
3 years towards bs in computer sci
I have an HP 460 Deskjet portable printer. The POWER button
I have an HP 460 Deskjet portable printer. The POWER button and the RESUME button [amber] won't stop blinking. I tried to reset the printer and I have changed the black ink [HP 94], How do I get this … read more
Diana
Diana
Owner,
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
I have just had windows 7 put inmy 2006 Dell computer tryed
I have just had windows 7 put inmy 2006 Dell computer tryed to update my printer Dell photo aio printer it said to remove the printer from system but I can't upgrade the printer can you help… read more
David L
David L
Hello, I have a 922 all in one printer. I had a paper jam,,
Hello, I have a 922 all in one printer. I had a paper jam,, when I looked at the printer I saw that a large amount of paper had fed into the printer,, about 40 sheets. The only way to remove it was to… read more
Computer Science Engineer,
my hp officejet 6110 all in one, keeps telling me to clear
my hp officejet 6110 all in one, keeps telling me to clear paper jam, i cannot find a jam for the life of me. help. thank you, XXXXX XXXXX… read more
Hardware Engineer,
Dell AIO 926 Printer. Keeps indicating a paper jam. When check
Dell AIO 926 Printer. Keeps indicating a paper jam. When check mark is pushed goes to copy mode, scans, but does not print; makes no attempt to load paper. Does not print from print command from compu… read more
RPI Solutions
RPI Solutions
Technician, Developer,
I have a Dell 948 AIO printer. I had a paper jam and removed
I have a Dell 948 AIO printer. I had a paper jam and removed the paper sheet. I cannot clear the icon (!) on the control panel. I have used compressed air to try and clear the jam to no avail. Is it a… read more
Computer Consultant,
MS Electrical Engineering
I replaced both printing cartridges & I still get a response
I replaced both printing cartridges & I still get a response to replace the right (color) cartridge. It won't let me proceed to print my photo's. What can I do to fix the problem?… read more
Michael L Top Notch Computer Expert
Michael L Top Notch Computer Expert
Maintenance Specialist/Tech III,
Stop searching for answers—
my P6250 All-in-One Lexmark printer keeps telling me there
my P6250 All-in-One Lexmark printer keeps telling me there is a paper jam and on in vestigating I find there is no paper jam, I press select but it still keeps coming back and teling me there is a pap… read more
mary
mary
My Dell 944 printer has a message - Clear the carrier jam .
My Dell 944 printer has a message - "Clear the carrier jam". I cleared out a samll piece of paper, but can't find anything else. It saya to press the "check" mark to continue, but shuts off and chimes… read more
Printer Tech
Printer Tech
My Dell AIO 942 printer has quit! I get message that it is
My Dell AIO 942 printer has quit! I get message that it is jammed but can't find any jammed paper, etc. Makes a loud clicking noise when I try to print a document.… read more
Hardware Engineer,
PIXMA MP750 I cant find the paper jam and the printer wont
PIXMA MP750: I can't find the paper jam and the printer won't let me press OK to clear and print. Help much [email protected]… read more
Freddy M.
Freddy M.
IT Technician,
I have a Dell 944 printer that I recently moved. Now, when
I have a Dell 944 printer that I recently moved. Now, when I turn it on it will only go to the change cartridge window. I have removed and re-installed the cartridges several times, turned the printer… read more
David L
David L
I have a dell 944 all in one printer. There was a paper jam
I have a dell 944 all in one printer. There was a paper jam which I cleared but the screen states not cleared yet and the cartriage slams back and forth not allowing me to fix it.… read more
David L
David L