How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask John D Your Own Question
John D
John D, BS Degree in Engineering.
Category: Computer
Satisfied Customers: 9666
Experience:  Bachelor of Science - Engineering Consultant
Type Your Computer Question Here...
John D is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How do I type a bar (straight up and down as opposed to a ...

This answer was rated:

How do I type a bar (straight up and down as opposed to a back or forward slash). For example: {word1|word2}. Where does that bar come from?


of course you can do that using the Alt codes or from the Insert > Symbols in Word, but since this character is a standard key on your keyboard you can just use that key. Here is where it is:

On normal US keyboards this key is the shift of the back slash. So if you press the Shift key and hit the backslash "\" key you will get the | character.

Hope this helps.


John D and 3 other Computer Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Thanks man. I could have sworn I did that, but, oh well. Have a good night.

You're most welcome. Thanks.


Related Computer Questions