What software can I download free to let me know if my ...

Customer Question
What software can I download...
What software can I download free to let me know if my friend signs in on their computer. They always know when I am online but I cant see if they are and they always appear offline but if I appear offline they still know I am on the computer. How do I download such a software of program to see if my friend is online? How can I check to see if a... Read full answer
What software can I download free to let me know if my friend signs in on their computer. They always know when I am online but I cant see if they are and they always appear offline but if I appear offline they still know I am on the computer. How do I download such a software of program to see if my friend is online? How can I check to see if a friend on my contact list is really offline or not.
Submitted: 12 years ago.Category: Computer
4/22/2007
Tech Support Specialist: bytestream, Computer Systems Analyst replied 12 years ago
bytestream
bytestream, Computer Systems Analyst

Hello, rose,

Well it's like this. First you both have to be signed on to the same network, such as AIM or MSN. Depending on which messenger you are using, you can set the messenger to tell you if someone is online -- and you can 'hide' yourself.

Seems to me that you are looking at a situation like AIM's Buddy list. You can add any friends' AIM usernames or even user IDs of other networks. Then, under Preferences, you can have AIM make a sound and/or a pop-up message to tell you when someone on your buddy list signs on.

If you need more information, let us know the network being used. But easiest -- find out what settings your friend is using!

Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
Printer won't print from documents sent from surface
Printer won't print from documents sent from surface computer, says printer is disconnected. Printing wireless, check network connections and everything looks ok. It will print 1/4 page, then locks up… read more
It Support Specialist,
Skype doesn't show me online or the person I'm trying to call
Skype doesn't show me online or the person I'm trying to call and we are both online. What do I have to do to get it to show me online? Optional Information: Computer OS: Windows Vista Browser: IE Alr… read more
Jamie Lee
Jamie Lee
Computer Repair Consultant/ Breakfix Tec,
A+ Computer Technician Certificatio
My contacts list has been wiped clean and when I click on
Hi, my contacts list has been wiped clean and when I click on contacts there is still nothing to be seen even though I have put some contacts back into Windows Live… read more
Jess
Jess
Stop searching for answers—
I cant send a msg to ALL my yahoo messenger contacts at once
I cant send a msg to ALL my yahoo messenger contacts at once and some of my contacts wont stay ON my list once I add them yet they are in my mail book.. They can add ME but I cant SEE them on my list… read more
Hans Uebelhoer
Hans Uebelhoer
Technical Support Manager,
I have tried to get yahoo chat from messenger but there is
I have tried to get yahoo chat from messenger but there is no yahoo! chat option in the messenger dropdown menu. I have re-installed yahoo messenger 11.5 and rebooted my laptop but the yahoo chat opti… read more
Jess
Jess
I CAN NOT REACH ANY OF MY SKYPE FRIENDS. THEY TELL ME THAT
I CAN NOT REACH ANY OF MY SKYPE FRIENDS. THEY TELL ME THAT I AM "OFFLINE" WHEN THE TRUTH IS, I AM "ONLINE". THERE IS NO COMUNICATION BETWEEN US AND THE REST OF PEOPLE WITH SKYPE. PLEASE HELP. ALSO. I … read more
Michael T
Michael T
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
I have a HP a820 and it is running in super slow motion. I
I have a HP a820 and it is running in super slow motion. I am running windows 7, and it is slow on and off the internet. Can you give me a recommendation as to what to do to correct this issue? Task m… read more
AndrewR
AndrewR
Hi, question, I have a contact in hotmail and in MSN messenger,
Hi, question, I have a contact in hotmail and in MSN messenger, all of a sudden that contact's profile and information in hotmail contacts was gone. When I click on the name of the contact in hotmail,… read more
boxfrederick
boxfrederick
Free lance software developer,
i am receiving messages that were sent sent while i was showing
i am receiving messages that were sent sent while i was showing as active and available the next day. i have not blocked this person. how can this be fixed?… read more
Molinari
Molinari
Professional Tech Expert,
CompTIA A+ Certification
Quite frquently, when I invite someone for a chat on msn, they
Quite frquently, when I invite someone for a chat on msn, they appear to be offline, even though they claim to be online. Why is this and how can I begin a chat with them?… read more
sandy
sandy
Technical Specialist,
B.Tech
I forwarded a question about over 3 hours ago and received
I forwarded a question about over 3 hours ago and received an answer nearly immediately that the experts were looking at it and no communication since. Could you please advise the current situation of… read more
Dharmendra
Dharmendra
My boyfriend has MSN and so do I but he can call a friend through
My boyfriend has MSN and so do I but he can call a friend through MSN without a phone number just an e-mail address and see and talk to the person through his computer. How do I do that on my computer… read more
namstech
namstech
Software Development Engineer,
Stop searching for answers—
I believe someone has hacked my Live ID account . I believe
I believe someone has hacked my Live ID account . I believe they are listening in to conversations I've had on MSN. I further believe they are appearing in my nickname when I am offline and also block… read more
Computer Consultant,
MS Electrical Engineering
We have a wireless network & when logging in aregiven the option
We have a wireless network & when logging in aregiven the option to get online through various logins. Also have had trouble with our computer in the past with the drive corrupting, so we get a blue s… read more
David L
David L
have got a webcam, i loaded the driver for it, it works fine,
have got a webcam, i loaded the driver for it, it works fine, but i cannot see my webcam icon on my profile picture and neither can my friends, went into tools, options, but the check box for ...show … read more
David L
David L
if one off my contacts on yahoo messenger is showing they are
if one off my contacts on yahoo messenger is showing they are off line, how can i tell if they are showing offline, but are really online on yahoo messenger… read more
Computer Consultant,
MS Electrical Engineering
Why does my E Mac keep freezing up especially when I am ...
Why does my E Mac keep freezing up especially when I am playing Bridge on Yahoo. I cannot get to the AOL Games now Pogo. Cannot get AOL now Pogo games downloaded… read more
Michael L Top Notch Computer Expert
Michael L Top Notch Computer Expert
Maintenance Specialist/Tech III,
Hi! My computer is slowing down to molasses ever since I ...
Hi! My computer is slowing down to molasses ever since I put in the Windows Live one care software. Where can a find a reliable diagnostic tool to find, fix, remove whatever needs to be found, fixed, … read more
Michael L Top Notch Computer Expert
Michael L Top Notch Computer Expert
Maintenance Specialist/Tech III,