How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bytestream Your Own Question
bytestream, Computer Systems Analyst
Category: Computer
Satisfied Customers: 515
Experience:  MSc, MCP; over 15 years of experience in all aspects of computing
Type Your Computer Question Here...
bytestream is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I need to locate where my ex-husband is working so that I ...

This answer was rated:

I need to locate where my ex-husband is working so that I can serve him with legal papers that he refuses to accept at his home. He does not have an attorney. What is the the most cost efficient way to do this? I don't know if the online search services would be able to locate his place of employment, especially if he works out of the state he resides in. Would like specific answers not general ideas.
Going with a free service was not the way to go on this. Past employment history is not public information, which means you're going to need either a PI or a paid service to locate what you want.,, and might be able to help you. Another service is Net Detective, but there isn't any guarantee behind that service as you're doing the searching, not them.

The three services I provided all have the guarantee that if they can't find the person you're looking for, you don't pay. In this case, they'll most likely be able to find the person, but not necessarily give you your ex-husband's current place of employment depending on how recently the job started, as many of these places rely on public records.

Talk with your attorney about the services your local Court Clerk's office provides. They may be able to serve your husband with the papers, this way you don't have to, and I don't think he can turn them away. Your attorney may also be able to find your ex-huband's current place of employment. Otherwise, you can try one of the links I've provided above to see if they give you what you're looking for. If you need other sources, search for "background check" on your favorite search engine.
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
I've already visited the websites of the three services you mentioned. I know where he lives but he goes out of town to work and stays several days each time.(which limits the actual time I have to try to serve him) I live 70 miles from him and am unable to do very much detective work. My attorney has a process server on her payroll but for 3 months he has avoided them by either not coming out of his home or not answering the door when the server goes to his door. He knows something is going on and refuses to accept the papers. I will have to locate him at his job so that he will be out in public. My ex-neighbor calls me when he comes home and the server goes over to his home and waits for him to come out. The local police will not get involved. It will have to something he least expects. Thank you for your help, but I've already covered or considered the options you mentioned.

Do you know your husband's social security number? If so, perhaps your attorney could get a court order to check social security records -- if he's working legitimately, they will have his current employer information, since the employer needs to pay its halk of the soc. sec. This will probably cost, but you've exhausted all the others.


bytestream, Computer Systems Analyst
Category: Computer
Satisfied Customers: 515
Experience: MSc, MCP; over 15 years of experience in all aspects of computing
bytestream and 2 other Computer Specialists are ready to help you